Newbie trying to figure it all out - VGC??

More questions.....

Historically, about how long does it take for a resale contract to be completed? I read 6-8 weeks. Does that seem accurate for recent history? Does it make a difference in timing if you pay in full vs. financing it?

So let's say you wanted to go in June 2024. Realistically, you would have wanted to at least submit an offer by April or so...that way you would hopefully have points available to book at the 11 month window? Does that sound right or am I just completely off? I really have no idea how the whole process looks.

We hope to go back to DLR next summer. But I don't know if we should try to get a resale contract now or just rent points (or stay off site) for June 2024. I think I'm tempted to wait a year but I have no clue if prices will go up or down between now and then.

And I'm still so unsure on what UY would be ideal.

More questions.....

Historically, about how long does it take for a resale contract to be completed? I read 6-8 weeks. Does that seem accurate for recent history? Does it make a difference in timing if you pay in full vs. financing it?

So let's say you wanted to go in June 2024. Realistically, you would have wanted to at least submit an offer by April or so...that way you would hopefully have points available to book at the 11 month window? Does that sound right or am I just completely off? I really have no idea how the whole process looks.

We hope to go back to DLR next summer. But I don't know if we should try to get a resale contract now or just rent points (or stay off site) for June 2024. I think I'm tempted to wait a year but I have no clue if prices will go up or down between now and then.

It could take up to 3 months from offer to points loaded depending on how fast your title company is, how quickly your seller can get documents notarized, and how backed up Disney is.

If you work backwards 11m before June 24 you will want to have points loaded by July 23. So, you would most likely want to have an accepted offer by the first of April.

Hopefully we will have some info from VDH before then. If you buy direct then you will have points loaded almost instantly.

More questions.....

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ost-for-instructions-formatting-tool.3905164/

Check out this thread. It should give you a good idea how long the whole resale process is taking these days. My VGC contract took 92 days from offer accepted to points loaded into my account. That was 2-3 years ago.

Thanks. At this point I'm thinking if we want to go in June 2024, we will not be DVC members by then. So on the plus side...this gives me a lot more time to research and learn all I can. And while I am really leaning heavily towards VGC, I haven't completely ruled out VDH. I want to see prices and videos once it's done.

So for June 2024 we'll either stay on Harbor or maybe rent VGC, which we've never done before.

Thanks. At this point I'm thinking if we want to go in June 2024, we will not be DVC members by then. So on the plus side...this gives me a lot more time to research and learn all I can. And while I am really leaning heavily towards VGC, I haven't completely ruled out VDH. I want to see prices and videos once it's done.

So for June 2024 we'll either stay on Harbor or maybe rent VGC, which we've never done before.

I think that is a very prudent thought process. Definitely don’t rush into it. You can always rent to see if it’s your vibe or not.

Just be aware, VGC rental is not as easy as the other resorts. If I wasn’t a member yet, I’d probably buy VDH. It’ll be the newest and 14 years more left in the contract than VGC. The points will be direct and you’d be able to stay at all future resorts and enjoy all the perks. VGC is great. But it’s pricey, both in initial cost and points chart.

Welcome and I hope all goes well for you. We are new members who just got into DVC about 8 months ago and VGC was our first love that started the whole process. Once I knew I could "own" a part of the Grand Cal and stay there for a good chunk less than the insane rack rates, I was sold. Like most have said, there is a lot of downside to this consideration and you should really 'sleep on it" for a few months before taking the plunge. I would say we staked and started posting on this site as well as watched countless YouTube videos about DVC before making our first offers.

@HIRyeDVC gave some great wisdom about going with a June UY. There are just so many more of these on the market at any given time and they cover two of your months. That's what we went with and overall it will work for us as it covers June/July (important months for us for family stuff) as well as the Fall and Christmas events we want to go to over the years. We are going to take a gamble on a spring trip with the points from time to time, but I am considering adding on at the new Disneyland Tower to have some points in a December UY to cover spring trips.

If you do wish to stay in the 1BR rooms vs studios you will find that it should be easy to do so in the 10 to 11 month window 99% of the time. Studios go first, than 3BR, 2BR, and 1BR go last :)

I think that is a very prudent thought process. Definitely don’t rush into it. You can always rent to see if it’s your vibe or not.

Yeah, I think if we aren't owners by the time VDH opens, we might consider renting there to see what we think. I do worry that we'll walk by VGC and miss it though. The style of the GC is just more "us", I think. (Though I am really hoping they will switch out the pull out in the studio with a murphy when they do a refurb!)

Just be aware, VGC rental is not as easy as the other resorts. If I wasn’t a member yet, I’d probably buy VDH. It’ll be the newest and 14 years more left in the contract than VGC. The points will be direct and you’d be able to stay at all future resorts and enjoy all the perks. VGC is great. But it’s pricey, both in initial cost and points chart.

Definitely something to think about. I'm antsy for them to release prices for VDH.

Welcome and I hope all goes well for you. We are new members who just got into DVC about 8 months ago and VGC was our first love that started the whole process. Once I knew I could "own" a part of the Grand Cal and stay there for a good chunk less than the insane rack rates, I was sold. Like most have said, there is a lot of downside to this consideration and you should really 'sleep on it" for a few months before taking the plunge. I would say we staked and started posting on this site as well as watched countless YouTube videos about DVC before making our first offers.

@HIRyeDVC gave some great wisdom about going with a June UY. There are just so many more of these on the market at any given time and they cover two of your months. That's what we went with and overall it will work for us as it covers June/July (important months for us for family stuff) as well as the Fall and Christmas events we want to go to over the years. We are going to take a gamble on a spring trip with the points from time to time, but I am considering adding on at the new Disneyland Tower to have some points in a December UY to cover spring trips.

If you do wish to stay in the 1BR rooms vs studios you will find that it should be easy to do so in the 10 to 11 month window 99% of the time. Studios go first, than 3BR, 2BR, and 1BR go last :)

When you say a June UY covers two of our months....does that mean we can't use it for February trips or is just not as good for February in terms of cancellation and banking? Sorry, I might be completely misunderstanding here.

Interesting that 1br villas are the slowest to be sold. I wonder why that is. The floor plan looks great. We're a family of 3 so we'd never need anything bigger than that. Our son is still young so a studio is fine for us right now. He's autistic and has developmental disabilities and there's a good chance he will be living with us (and traveling with us) even when he's an adult. So a 1br would be good for those years.

When you say a June UY covers two of our months....does that mean we can't use it for February trips or is just not as good for February in terms of cancellation and banking? Sorry, I might be completely misunderstanding here.
You can use it for February, but if you have to cancel you might be beyond banking window for that UY and then have only until May 31 to use the points. Any travel within the last 4 months of a UY carries that risk.
Interesting that 1br villas are the slowest to be sold. I wonder why that is. The floor plan looks great. We're a family of 3 so we'd never need anything bigger than that. Our son is still young so a studio is fine for us right now. He's autistic and has developmental disabilities and there's a good chance he will be living with us (and traveling with us) even when he's an adult. So a 1br would be good for those years.
One BR villas are last to book because they cost twice as many points as studios, and many DVC owners are points misers who don’t see the value in having full kitchen, laundry, and a door between them and whoever’s sleeping in the living room. We actually bought DVC specifically to get 2BR villas for our family of 4, and now that we’re empty nesters we book 1BR for the kitchen, laundry and space.

BTW one of the recurrent pieces of advice you’ll see around here is, if you normally book studios, don’t ever splurge on a 1BR because it’s so hard to go back! 😉

Yeah, I think if we aren't owners by the time VDH opens, we might consider renting there to see what we think. I do worry that we'll walk by VGC and miss it though. The style of the GC is just more "us", I think. (Though I am really hoping they will switch out the pull out in the studio with a murphy when they do a refurb!)

Definitely something to think about. I'm antsy for them to release prices for VDH.

The points chart will likely be released the day before sales begin. At least that’s what they did at Riviera. You can still travel in February with a June UY. It’ll just be during the DVC danger period since it’s past the bank deadline of Jan 31st. Any cancellations beyond that date means you will haveto use those points by May 31st. But considering how hard availability is at VGC, or anywhere else for that matter, those points are almost useless at that point. We just decided not to travel around that time. It’s too cold anyways. WRT VGC 1BRs. They are less popular than studios, but book up faster than 2BRs. That is unique to VGC because of the very high points chart. Even with a family of 5 with large children, a 1 BR is plenty roomy because of how large VGC villas are compared to other DVC resorts. And that extra full bathroom is glorious.

The points chart will likely be released the day before sales begin. At least that’s what they did at Riviera. You can still travel in February with a June UY. It’ll just be during the DVC danger period since it’s past the bank deadline of Jan 31st. Any cancellations beyond that date means you will haveto use those points by May 31st. But considering how hard availability is at VGC, or anywhere else for that matter, those points are almost useless at that point. We just decided not to travel around that time. It’s too cold anyways. WRT VGC 1BRs. They are less popular than studios, but book up faster than 2BRs. That is unique to VGC because of the very high points chart. Even with a family of 5 with large children, a 1 BR is plenty roomy because of how large VGC villas are compared to other DVC resorts. And that extra full bathroom is glorious.

For Monday, March 27 2023

Studio: 26 points
1BD: 52 points
2BD: 70 points
3BD: 152 points

It’s nuts right? I can’t believe they were able to sell this points chart 13 years ago. I can’t imagine the shock back then
The GV points hurt. This is Aulani ocean view territory. As there are only two of them, they tend to still fill up. I still want to go and I can’t wait to see what the remodel does. It seems like the GV has a layout that will allow for the Murphy bed in the living room similar to SSR. Just wonder if that will work or if that will block that window.

The GV points hurt. This is Aulani ocean view territory. As there are only two of them, they tend to still fill up. I still want to go and I can’t wait to see what the remodel does. It seems like the GV has a layout that will allow for the Murphy bed in the living room similar to SSR. Just wonder if that will work or if that will block that window.

Right now you could buy 230 VGC resale points for the same price as 600 AUL resale points. (Yes I know there is a $1ish dues difference). So, the AUL GV is a lot less expensive….

You can use it for February, but if you have to cancel you might be beyond banking window for that UY and then have only until May 31 to use the points. Any travel within the last 4 months of a UY carries that risk.

One BR villas are last to book because they cost twice as many points as studios, and many DVC owners are points misers who don’t see the value in having full kitchen, laundry, and a door between them and whoever’s sleeping in the living room. We actually bought DVC specifically to get 2BR villas for our family of 4, and now that we’re empty nesters we book 1BR for the kitchen, laundry and space.

BTW one of the recurrent pieces of advice you’ll see around here is, if you normally book studios, don’t ever splurge on a 1BR because it’s so hard to go back! 😉

Yeah...so we have always stayed on Harbor (or just drove home when we lived in Orange.) But last week we were able to stay at the GC for the first time. And unfortunately....we are now finding it hard to want to go back to Harbor even though we always had good experiences.

The prices to stay at the GC (non-DVC) are just not worth it....rack rate around $850 for a standard view double queen is insane to me.

And I do think if we stay at a 1br we will find it hard to go back to studio. So hoping we manage a studio at least for a while. Time will tell, I guess.

Do we have any idea what month VDH might open? I just keep seeing "2023" with no indication of what season or anything. We didn't walk down that way on our trip so I didn't see how construction was looking.

When we go in February, it's always the beginning of the month. So realistically if we needed to cancel or reschedule it would be well before January 31st. Though I still need to learn more about how cancellation works. And I know it's tricky with VCG since it books up so fast.

I do worry about any last minute cancellations due to illness with DVC. I guess we'd just have to take a loss if that happens. Historically, we've never had to cancel last minute though for this trip we just went on...we almost did so that was scary.

Yeah...so we have always stayed on Harbor (or just drove home when we lived in Orange.) But last week we were able to stay at the GC for the first time. And unfortunately....we are now finding it hard to want to go back to Harbor even though we always had good experiences.

The prices to stay at the GC (non-DVC) are just not worth it....rack rate around $850 for a standard view double queen is insane to me.

And I do think if we stay at a 1br we will find it hard to go back to studio. So hoping we manage a studio at least for a while. Time will tell, I guess.

Do we have any idea what month VDH might open? I just keep seeing "2023" with no indication of what season or anything. We didn't walk down that way on our trip so I didn't see how construction was looking.

When we go in February, it's always the beginning of the month. So realistically if we needed to cancel or reschedule it would be well before January 31st. Though I still need to learn more about how cancellation works. And I know it's tricky with VCG since it books up so fast.

I do worry about any last minute cancellations due to illness with DVC. I guess we'd just have to take a loss if that happens. Historically, we've never had to cancel last minute though for this trip we just went on...we almost did so that was scary.

You thoughts are like a replay of the conversation my wife and I had. We just got tired of being off campus and leaving the Disney bubble, but couldn’t justify the cash prices.

1) Travel Insurance is not expensive: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/travel-insurance

2) You can always rent out a confirmed Grand Cal reservations because it is such an in-demand resort.

You thoughts are like a replay of the conversation my wife and I had. We just got tired of being off campus and leaving the Disney bubble, but couldn’t justify the cash prices.

1) Travel Insurance is not expensive: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/travel-insurance

2) You can always rent out a confirmed Grand Cal reservations because it is such an in-demand resort.

Hmm....I'll have to do some more digging on that insurance to see what's covered and how it's covered if you're using points. Though, can you even get that if you have only purchased resale and not direct, I wonder?

Our reservations would likely always be 6 nights and I always kind of figured a lot of people only like to do less nights at DLR so I'm not sure if a 6-night stay is very in demand or not.

Hmm....I'll have to do some more digging on that insurance to see what's covered and how it's covered if you're using points. Though, can you even get that if you have only purchased resale and not direct, I wonder?

Our reservations would likely always be 6 nights and I always kind of figured a lot of people only like to do less nights at DLR so I'm not sure if a 6-night stay is very in demand or not.

1) Resale can absolutely buy the insurance.

2) You can always book 2 subsequent 3-night stays if this is a concern. We are 5-nighters during spring break and 4-nighters in the Fall and I haven’t ever really worried about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter