Newbie trying to figure it all out - VGC??

I clicked check-in to check-out and added it up and it was adding in that last day (check-out day) into the total. I thought that was kind of strange.

I clicked check-in to check-out and added it up and it was adding in that last day (check-out day) into the total. I thought that was kind of strange.
You use points per night, so you don’t pay for check out day. Once you are in the availability calendar, that’s when you select the nights you want.

When you do the first search, it seems to calculate the correct number of nights...but if you go back up to change them, it seems to add it.

Now, I only use the Plan and book a vacation tab at the top...it brings up the calendars you toggle through...I never use the search that is on the front page as that one seems glitchy to me.

Thanks, all!

I have another question that may or may not make sense.

Let's say in June, I book SSR for January 2024 using some 2023 UY (June) points. Then in July, I will need to book VGC for June 2024. I will first need to bank remaining 2023 points. Then I can book that trip with those banked points plus some 2024 UY points.

Okay....but then let's say this Fall/Winter, we decide we no longer want to take that January SSR trip, so we cancel. Which means those points will be thrown back into our 2023 UY. But as long as we are still in our banking window, we would then just bank them into 2024.

So here's my question....is there a way to take those banked points, and somehow swap them with the 2024 points we used to book that June VGC trip? Because obviously I'd want to use those points before 2024 points. But I will have had that trip booked months earlier.

(Hopefully this question makes sense.)

And an add on question....if I am able to swap them. I assume those 2024 points just go back into my account to use regularly or bank into 2025, right?

Yes, you would be able to reallocate the points. You would need to modify the reservation, but the system will pull the expiring points first. You would have to bank the points after canceling the SSR reservation.

So I'd cancel SSR, bank the points, then contact Member Services to reallocate points so the ones that expire first would be used for the VGC reservation that we would already have?

So I'd cancel SSR, bank the points, then contact Member Services to reallocate points so the ones that expire first would be used for the VGC reservation that we would already have?

It will only work if you cancel that trip at least 31 days in advance as less than that puts the points in holding status which means they can no longer be banked and can only be used for reservations 60 days or less from check in

Yeah, I would definitely do it before that 31 days window! I feel like VGC points are useless in holding.

I always see people getting SSR as SAP. But after looking at availability....I'm guessing people who get any kind of SAP must not be booking studios very often? Well, at least not at the resorts that I like the best (I haven't bothered searching places I don't care to stay.)

I've just searched BR, BC, BW since those are our top 3 and 7-month availability for studios is basically non-existent. So if we ever want to stay at those we'd need to buy points there, rent points there, or have enough points for a 1-bedroom. I knew this would be the case but I guess actually seeing it with my own eyes has been kind of a bummer.

I'm really anxious to get over to WDW with our son. I suspect he will enjoy it but it's so hard to know. And will we think the transportation to and from parks is just a big pain since we're so used to Disneyland? My husband and I went to WDW in 2008, 2010, and 2012. We stayed at POR and Pop Century. Obviously buses aren't fun but we managed just fine. I'm just not sure how different it will be with our son. It's possibly sitting on buses a bunch could raise his anxiety and cause a meltdown. We have no idea.

So I'm really holding out hope we can make a trip to WDW happen in January. I think at the 7-month mark I will book 5 nights (so we'll have 4 park days.) This is a pretty short trip for us but I think it will be a good test to see how it all goes.

I do kind of hate using my very first DVC points for WDW but oh well.

I've just searched BR, BC, BW since those are our top 3 and 7-month availability for studios is basically non-existent. So if we ever want to stay at those we'd need to buy points there, rent points there, or have enough points for a 1-bedroom. I knew this would be the case but I guess actually seeing it with my own eyes has been kind of a bummer.
BRV is a small resort. with a total of 136 rooms. Many of the studios are part of lock-offs, so they go quickly. BCV and BWV are two of the most popular resorts due to access to two theme parks, so those can go quickly as well. Lastly, 7 months from now puts you in the dreaded Jersey Week to Thanksgiving to early December period where availability for everything can be tight inside 11 months.

BRV is a small resort. with a total of 136 rooms. Many of the studios are part of lock-offs, so they go quickly. BCV and BWV are two of the most popular resorts due to access to two theme parks, so those can go quickly as well. Lastly, 7 months from now puts you in the dreaded Jersey Week to Thanksgiving to early December period where availability for everything can be tight inside 11 months.
What is Jersey week?

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. We will likely only ever go to WDW in late January/early February. So I'll be curious to see what the 7-month mark looks like for those. I'm guessing still pretty iffy for our top choices. Thankfully, I do think SSR actually looks really nice/peaceful so I assume we'll be happy there too.

BRV is at the top of my list just because of the style/theme. And BCV for the walk to Epcot (our favorite WDW park.) And then BWV for the convivence to Epcot and HS. Though the theming of both of these doesn't really appeal to me much.

I always see people getting SSR as SAP. But after looking at availability....I'm guessing people who get any kind of SAP must not be booking studios very often? Well, at least not at the resorts that I like the best (I haven't bothered searching places I don't care to stay.)

I'm really anxious to get over to WDW with our son. I suspect he will enjoy it but it's so hard to know. And will we think the transportation to and from parks is just a big pain since we're so used to Disneyland? My husband and I went to WDW in 2008, 2010, and 2012. We stayed at POR and Pop Century. Obviously buses aren't fun but we managed just fine. I'm just not sure how different it will be with our son. It's possibly sitting on buses a bunch could raise his anxiety and cause a meltdown. We have no idea.

So I'm really holding out hope we can make a trip to WDW happen in January. I think at the 7-month mark I will book 5 nights (so we'll have 4 park days.) This is a pretty short trip for us but I think it will be a good test to see how it all goes.

I do kind of hate using my very first DVC points for WDW but oh well.

Near park resorts are always going to go fast, especially for studios. And, as we are now less than 19 years left for use at the 2042 resorts, you have people buying there to specifically use them there....so, the 7 month access will slowly become harder and harder.

We bought 500 SSR points in 2017 to use as SAP, but it was for the intention of upgrading to 1 bedrooms at our favorite places...then RIV happened, fell in love there and sold BWV to buy.

Last year, we sold 200 SSR to replace with VGF points so that we could gain our home resort advantage as its our 2nd favorite and split stay with RIV every trip when we can. With all those resort studios, we didn't want to continue to chance the at 7 months that 1 bedrooms would still be there like in the past.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. We will likely only ever go to WDW in late January/early February. So I'll be curious to see what the 7-month mark looks like for those. I'm guessing still pretty iffy for our top choices. Thankfully, I do think SSR actually looks really nice/peaceful so I assume we'll be happy there too.

BRV is at the top of my list just because of the style/theme. And BCV for the walk to Epcot (our favorite WDW park.) And then BWV for the convivence to Epcot and HS. Though the theming of both of these doesn't really appeal to me much.
Not to rain on your parade, but the January-February time frame CAN be a bit iffy, given that it is marathon season and there are a few weekends with Run Disney events. Still VERY doable though.

Not to rain on your parade, but the January-February time frame CAN be a bit iffy, given that it is marathon season and there are a few weekends with Run Disney events. Still VERY doable though.

I was under the impression that marathons were usually in early January. Is that not always the case? Since it's been 11 years since our last trip...I honestly have no idea what it's like out there now. We just like that time because weather-wise it's good while avoiding any holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter