Newbie...

lilmrsellis

Wishing upon a star...
I'm new to the Military Family, but just wanted to say hi to all of you. My husband has been at bootcamp for a week now. I'm not taking the separation so well. We've been together since high school (8 years) and this week is the longest we've ever been apart. He was far more prepared than I am. I've always known he intended to to join the military, but that hasn't made it any easier. Thanks for listening to my impromptu whining.

:grouphug: Welcome to the family!! I know how hard the separations can be, going through one right now. My best advice is just try and keep busy and the time will hopefully fly by and spend lots of time on the DIS Boards!! :lmao:

Just remember to be supportive of him and remain upbeat!! The worst thing you can do is bring him down---BC is hard enough!!

In your letters tell him you are proud of him and that you miss him but you know that he is doing this for your family--don't write things like I wish you could come home now or the car died and I have no way to get around etc

Being a military wife you are now part of a team of tough women--we learn quickly to be self reliant and to not whine about things and to take the reins to get done what needs to be done whether our hubbys are home or not:thumbsup2

You'll get the hang of it!! What MOS is he going into? The Corp is all about being tough as nails!(I assume Corp because you wrote bootcamp)

You'll find that the DIS has lots of military wives who can offer advice and info.

Welcome to the club!!:flower3:

welcome :)

My DH was already in the military when I met him (we married almost a year ago) and he told me from the start that I wasn't just marrying him, I was marrying the Air Force:lmao:

Separations S-U-C-K. Plain and simple. The best advice you can get is from these ladies here when they say stay as busy as possible and while you can let him know you miss him terribly, follow it up closely with telling him how proud you are of what he is doing, and keep his spirits up.

Once he is out of BC and you are settled into a base somewhere, there are wives clubs (Ive heard good AND bad things about some of those) and lots of activities and such you can get involved in to help you get acclimated to the life of a military spouse, as well as a number of support forums and such out there on the internet. I am a part of an Air Force Wives forum, and they have them for all branches.

Hang in there! It will only make you stronger and the two of you closer!

Hard to think that it has been over 12 years ago when my hubby went off to join the Air Force... I still don't look forward to him having to go somewhere!

BTW we were HS sweethearts too!

totally OT but Driven--are you ate Petersen?

No... my hubby is out of Buckley... he is actually now active Guard. He would have stayed in reg. Air Force, but we wouldn't have gotten to come back home where at the time we needed to be... But the Guard has been good to us. And best, we are home where family is...!

ahh...DH is active guard as well so I can certainly relate.

I only asked if you were at Petersen because my mom lives about 10 minutes from there, and I absolutely love going to the BX and commissary there whenever we visit. :lmao:

DH found it rather amusing last time we were there to see a 4 star shopping for diapers in uniform:rotfl:

ahh...DH is active guard as well so I can certainly relate.

I only asked if you were at Petersen because my mom lives about 10 minutes from there, and I absolutely love going to the BX and commissary there whenever we visit. :lmao:

DH found it rather amusing last time we were there to see a 4 star shopping for diapers in uniform:rotfl:

Where are you all at? We are a good 45 minutes from Buckley, so I don't do a ton of shopping there... although I did last week and the prices were pretty good, but probably not worth a trip!

DH is at the NASJRB in Fort Worth, TX. (That would be "Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base at Carswell Field)....whoever designated that the name should be shot.

We don't have alot on the base since it is primarily reservists, but with a population of about 150K retirees in the area, we have a BX and just got a new commissary in March, which is hands down better than the BXmart that AAFES was running prior to that. I do save a significant amount of $$ on groceries and such when I shop there, which I do once or twice a month. It's only a 15 minute or so drive from our house.

Welcome to the military family lilmrsellis!

Everyone else have given you great advice. It's ok to miss him, just be supportive. One thing I have enjoyed about the military life is getting to move around and meet new people. It's hard at times, but when you realize all the friends you make that you never would have, it is amazing. Plus all the places you can see.

Oh, and wanted to say hi to drivencrazy. I remember you from these boards because of the Stang in your signature. I think we had posted to each other on the military thread. I'm the one that got my DH a Stang when he came back from Iraq. We just recently moved from Texas to Florida. Are you still active in the Mustang clubs? I need to see about one here!

Welcome to the military family lilmrsellis!

Everyone else have given you great advice. It's ok to miss him, just be supportive. One thing I have enjoyed about the military life is getting to move around and meet new people. It's hard at times, but when you realize all the friends you make that you never would have, it is amazing. Plus all the places you can see.

Oh, and wanted to say hi to drivencrazy. I remember you from these boards because of the Stang in your signature. I think we had posted to each other on the military thread. I'm the one that got my DH a Stang when he came back from Iraq. We just recently moved from Texas to Florida. Are you still active in the Mustang clubs? I need to see about one here!

Hello, that would be me! Yes, we are still active with the Mustang clubs... My hubby is thinking of selling his 04 so if you know of anyone interested, PM me and I can give more info!

As for a Mustang club... check out Militarystangs.com there are members from all over on there, mostly in the military too so something there! I am pretty sure there are a few on there from Florida.

That is cool that you are now in Florida, were you looking forward to moving? I didn't remember you saying anything about moving! I would pack up and move to FL!

Take care!

:goodvibes Thanks for all your support! DH is in the Army at Fort Knox. I got a puppy, so I will be plenty busy.

Welcome! :flower3: :grouphug:

I am not a wife, a very proud sister of my Marine. Bootcamp was tough and it was a year ago today that he left. It was very hard we wrote him everyday pretty much and just gave him positive thoughts and told him all of the good things.

Yes Grams went into the hospital, nothing crazy but we didn't tell him b/c we didn't want to change his focus.

I am just trying to stay upbeat and get some hobbies.

The Dis is great and definately helps when you are feeling down!

:hug:

I want to know what kind of puppy you got also.

When DH and I had only been married a month, living in AL where I knew no one, he called me and said he was going to Italy for 3 months including Thanksgiving and Christmas. My first thought was I was going home, the next was I wanted a dog. So, 13 years later we still have Mozart. He has been here through all the deployments with me.

Oh, and he doesn't like when daddy is gone either. In fact, after the last year long deployment, he got so excited he scratched his daddy and left a scar!

I got a Yorkie. He is 8 weeks old today and his name is Lucky. My brother has a Beagle and they play so hard (I think he thinks he is a Great Dane or something, LOL). My husband has wanted to get me one since 2001 (we were seniors in high school). He told me before he left he expected me to get a dog while he was gone, so I obliged.:dogdance: paw:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter