News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the details matter in any negotiation but on the surface to staedily increase minimum pay up to $15, give out the $1,000 and this on top of the paying for some higher education I think this is all good for CMs and seems like a reasonable offer from disney
I’m sure Disney has made out well with the tax cuts, and the intention of the bill was to invest that money into hiring, retention, and infrastructure (i.e. jobs). I’m glad they seem to be doing right by their employees AND their stockholders.

I’m sure Disney has made out well with the tax cuts, and the intention of the bill was to invest that money into hiring, retention, and infrastructure (i.e. jobs). I’m glad they seem to be doing right by their employees AND their stockholders.

Oh sure - I am positive Disney is doing just fine and not caving to a deal that is bad for hem. But considering the starting point this seems reasonable to both sides

“Cast members at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe indicated that the number of guests spilling drinks was up exponentially due to the change.”

I’m stunned. :rolleyes2

Some of the comments about this on twitter have been hilarious. https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/1033135330592022528

Cosmic Rays is actually what came to mind immediately when I read this. It’s actually my favorite QS but I get anxiety every time I go there and I’m trying to navigate around finding our table with things sliding around the slippery trays and people walking every which way.

I’m all for eliminating waste, but Disney needs to come up with a solution that is better for everyone. Not worse. Sell cups that guests can reuse at a fair price. Even charge for refills if you want. But as it is they are just cutting costs and making making worse experience for cast and guests. Freaking SIX FLAGS has this one figured out better than Disney.

Last edited:
“Cast members at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe indicated that the number of guests spilling drinks was up exponentially due to the change.”

I’m stunned. :rolleyes2

Some of the comments about this on twitter have been hilarious. https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/1033135330592022528
I’m actually really annoyed about the lid thing. These cups are definitely weaker without the lids and if they want to go lidless they should use stronger cups (which would eliminate the money savings). I have tennis elbow in both arms and when it flares up I get a lot clumsier. I was hoping to go bagless for my solo December trip so I’d rather not carry around a mug.

Luckily I’m not going with any kids this time cause if I was that would be another big issue with spilling. They should at least let you ask for lids. Last time I went we also put our sodas in the drink holder attached to the stroller, that wouldn’t work without a lid and the mug wouldn’t have fit in our holder. They’re already charging so much and then they’re going to pinch pennies on stuff like this. Very frustrating.

Haven't the cups at Animal Kingdom been without plastic lids and straws since it opened? Just seems like they are continuing that scheme across the rest of the parks :)
I’m not sure, I don’t usually eat at AK. In a 9 day trip the closest I got last time was rainforest cafe outside the gate. We did use a couple snack credits for bottled soda.

I’m actually really annoyed about the lid thing. These cups are definitely weaker without the lids and if they want to go lidless they should use stronger cups (which would eliminate the money savings). I have tennis elbow in both arms and when it flares up I get a lot clumsier. I was hoping to go bagless for my solo December trip so I’d rather not carry around a mug.

Luckily I’m not going with any kids this time cause if I was that would be another big issue with spilling. They should at least let you ask for lids. Last time I went we also put our sodas in the drink holder attached to the stroller, that wouldn’t work without a lid and the mug wouldn’t have fit in our holder. They’re already charging so much and then they’re going to pinch pennies on stuff like this. Very frustrating.
I thought that I read you could ask for lids.

I am all for reducing waste where it makes sense but just not sure this is the best way to do it. Those paper cups are designed so some of the structural integrity comes from when the lid is on - and obviously will be more spilling.

Can they refill a reusable mug that I bring from home or something? I know there are health code laws or something but seems like enabling that or allowing the reusable mugs to be used in the parks would reduce even more waste than just not having lids

Cosmic Rays is actually what came to mind immediately when I read this. It’s actually my favorite QS but I get anxiety every time I go there and I’m trying to navigate around finding our table with things sliding around the slippery trays and people walking every which way.

I’m all for eliminating waste, but Disney needs to come up with a solution that is better for everyone. Not worse. Sell cups that guests can reuse at a fair price. Even charge for refills if you want. But as it is they are just cutting costs and making making worse experience for cast and guests. Freaking SIX FLAGS has this one figured out better than Disney.

You guys are saying exactly what I have been complaining about for a while. When I get a choice, I prefer no lid/straw to reduce waste. However, they have thinned the walls of the cups so much, that the minute I grab it, it caves in and spills everywhere. I guess we won't be purchasing any beverages, except free water, which I usually put in my refillable bottle. We will have stainless steel reusable straws, but I haven't seen any reusable lids:scratchin I can't imagine trying to traverse the hell that is Pinocchio Village Haus looking for a table when it's busy, going up and down stairs, inside and outside, with no lid on my full drinks:sad2: I just hope no one else spills there sticky drink on me; I hate sticky:scared:

I wonder if they are going to get rid of lids for hot beverages. They will either end up getting sued or have to use lukewarm water.

I was in Magic Kingdom for rope drop this morning and there was a line of maybe 300 people waiting for the Funko Splash Mountain release. People buying as many as they could carry. Kinda sad, clearly a "sell it on ebay situation". They really should limit these sales to 2 or 3 per person.

They really should limit these sales to 2 or 3 per person.
Agree. I was at Epcot's Anniversary last Fall and the lines to purchase merch were beyond belief. 90% of people in line had multiples of the same item. By mid morning, 3 to 4 people were all pushing and pulling at each of the few items that were still on display. I walked in and out of mouse gears fast. Just wait for Star Wars grand opening merch. Yikes.

Len Testa posted on twitter saying "Rumor is that upcoming Wilderness Lodge's Artist Point re-do will be Snow White/7 Dwarfs character dinner. Possible breakfast, lunch additions later."

Wow. If true, it would immediately become the most sought-after dinner ADR. I've seen those party lines to meet Snow and the Dwarves ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter