News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! And transportation to/from AKL to parks other than AK seem to be the bulk of the complaints about staying at AKL. I never had any trouble when we stayed for 2 nights last December but I'm thinking I must have hit the bus stops at the most opportune times.
I think we’re in the minority in that we’ve stayed at AKL multiple times and never had issues with the busses. However, we’ve traditionally gone in the lower crowd times. Also - kidani village gets picked up first for the parks, so we prefer to stay there. But I agree gondola access to the tesort would be fantastic.

And people will pay.
This is really what it all boils down to. If I had a business and could essentially keep charging my customers more and more, with only positive effects to my bottom line, I would become one greedy SOB! People seem happy to just throw their money at them. “Ooh. Orange Bird cups! I’ll take 10 please!”

In their defense, they have finally added real value recently with the new lands and attractions, but they seem in a big hurry to recoup that investment and then some! As others have said, only an economic downturn would likely return things to a more “affordable “ level. Of course, never underestimate the willingness of fans to keep spending money they don’t have.

This is really what it all boils down to. If I had a business and could essentially keep charging my customers more and more, with only positive effects to my bottom line, I would become one greedy SOB! People seem happy to just throw their money at them. “Ooh. Orange Bird cups! I’ll take 10 please!”

In their defense, they have finally added real value recently with the new lands and attractions, but they seem in a big hurry to recoup that investment and then some! As others have said, only an economic downturn would likely return things to a more “affordable “ level. Of course, never underestimate the willingness of fans to keep spending money they don’t have.
They will keep going until a recession hits and people stop.

News

Captain Marvel' Delivers a Massive $153M Domestic Opening and $455M Worldwide

Strong opening this weekend. Saw it with the kids on Friday night. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it cracks my personal top 10 MCU movies, but still a solid movie.

wow - way more than expectations I saw (which was like $100-120m domestic and ~$350m worldwide)

I felt similar to you, I'd have to go through and really rank them to know for sure. Definitely not in the tippy-top of the MCU movies but not the bottom either. Most of the MCU movies I find good so even being in like the top 10-12 means you are a good movie

Yes.

As a customer, I’m enraged. As a stockholder, I’m thrilled.

There is a point where it becomes embarrassing at how much these trips cost. My eye was already twitching at how much we were spending on this upcoming trip in 2020, and now my cost analysis is probably way off.

It's not that we can't afford, but now it's coming down to is this really how I want to spend my money? This fast pass issue is really turning into a tipping point for me. The difference between being excited to go to feeling guilty and honestly stupid for spending this kind of money.

There is a point where it becomes embarrassing at how much these trips cost. My eye was already twitching at how much we were spending on this upcoming trip in 2020, and now my cost analysis is probably way off.

It's not that we can't afford, but now it's coming down to is this really how I want to spend my money? This fast pass issue is really turning into a tipping point for me. The difference between being excited to go to feeling guilty and honestly stupid for spending this kind of money.
We’re going to Alaska this year. I feel real good about the value of those vacation dollars.

and that is sad .... these trips (and the planning of them) to Disney should feel positive and not like something you feel you *have* to do or are grudgingly doing.

I still think there are ways to do it on a budget and the value of the amount of entertainment per $ spent can be high ... but may have to think about it differently- spend less (stay off site, etc.) or go less often. As much as I love Disney there are other vacation destinations out there

It’s an interesting strategy to do no fastpasses. I think a lot of people who went to Pandora early MIGHT wait longer for Star Wars.

My wife was an instant, “I’m not going to wait in a line that long.” It might spread out how quickly people go. People who did rope drop at pandora know that you’re there with thousands of people, and won’t plan on success with that strategy.

Personally, I’ll be watching how wait times look seasonally for a bit!

One thing is for sure, these lines are going to be like nothing anyone has ever seen!
I predict the lines will be seen-----------------------FROM A GALAXY------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FAR, FAR AWAY

Last edited:
and that is sad .... these trips (and the planning of them) to Disney should feel positive and not like something you feel you *have* to do or are grudgingly doing.

I still think there are ways to do it on a budget and the value of the amount of entertainment per $ spent can be high ... but may have to think about it differently- spend less (stay off site, etc.) or go less often. As much as I love Disney there are other vacation destinations out there

For the first time in several trips I just sat down with paper, pen and calculator to check my spending and see what I can cut for our next trip.

I hope they know what they're doing.

People who did rope drop at pandora know that you’re there with thousands of people, and won’t plan on success with that strategy.
I did rope drop for FOP Pandora w/o a FP and as long as you arrive at the gate at least 1 hr before opening, then you will get on FOP within 45 mins. With GE opening late August, may be much faster in early Sept. Bottom line: if no FP for FOP, wake up at least 1 hr earlier than normal and get to the gate 1 hr before opening and you will enjoy the ride.

I think we’re in the minority in that we’ve stayed at AKL multiple times and never had issues with the busses. However, we’ve traditionally gone in the lower crowd times. Also - kidani village gets picked up first for the parks, so we prefer to stay there. But I agree gondola access to the tesort would be fantastic.

I've never had an issue with the bus service at AKL either. I've found it to be one of the most efficient ones. I'm not sure gondolas would be ok there with all the trees and I would be worried about messing up the environment for the animals.

I arrived for rope drop at Toy Story Land at 4:00 am on opening day and there were a few hundred people there. At 6:00 am there were thousands. GE will be MUCH worse.

Because of sci fi conventions those guys know what to do. They'll be lining up the night before. I can't believe you waited for TSL. The worst. I've still only kinda seen the movie. The kids don't give a poop about it. Now if they'd build a Vamperina land like the HM, the kids would love it. Me too, except for the song constantly playing in my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter