News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my email for the Disney+ deal last night. I'm not really sure what we're going to do though.

We were originally all in on Disney+ after the details provided in the spring. The plan was to sign up for the full year as soon as it came out. After the somewhat limited lineup of shows and movies that are going to be available on 11/12, I was leaning more towards waiting until after they build up more titles.

Now that there are reports that Disney+ might not be available on Amazon Fire TV at launch, it makes me really nervous to sign up for 3 years (two really for the price). They have provided no new or additional details on the service - even when trying to sign up for this deal, they're not providing the terms and conditions of the service, just that you have to sign up for the service for the full time and there are no refunds or partial refunds.

On top of that, it is difficult without knowing the extent of bundles that will be offered or how the other services may change their offerings to make bundling worth it. We currently have Hulu w/ Live TV, and they have not released any info yet on whether any bundles will be available with that (or with the limited commercial option). I'm not particularly interested in ESPN+ right now, but that could change if they make the daily shows available (particularly PTI and Highly Questionable) and with the ability to limit commercials.

Three years is an awfully long time for something sight unseen with no refunds. As an industry reporter pointed out recently, Disney's attempts at providing content/services in the past have failed spectacularly. I don't anticipate that this time, but they are asking for a lot of blind faith here.

I also find the three-year promotion interesting, since my guess is that it's really just an attempt to boost 4th quarter numbers and show large revenue already for the streaming service - although I'm curious what will happen when they're not adding subscribers quickly enough to make up for that initial influx of subscription money and it could look like Disney+ revenue is down (especially if many others sign up for the year subscription - there may be a lot less money coming into it in month 3, for example).

We currently have Hulu w/ Live TV, and they have not released any info yet on whether any bundles will be available with that (or with the limited commercial option).

They announced Disney+ would be an add on for Hulu. So it should function the same as HBO and Showtime on there. So just an extra for any level plan.

I got my email for the Disney+ deal last night. I'm not really sure what we're going to do though.

We were originally all in on Disney+ after the details provided in the spring. The plan was to sign up for the full year as soon as it came out. After the somewhat limited lineup of shows and movies that are going to be available on 11/12, I was leaning more towards waiting until after they build up more titles.

Now that there are reports that Disney+ might not be available on Amazon Fire TV at launch, it makes me really nervous to sign up for 3 years (two really for the price). They have provided no new or additional details on the service - even when trying to sign up for this deal, they're not providing the terms and conditions of the service, just that you have to sign up for the service for the full time and there are no refunds or partial refunds.

On top of that, it is difficult without knowing the extent of bundles that will be offered or how the other services may change their offerings to make bundling worth it. We currently have Hulu w/ Live TV, and they have not released any info yet on whether any bundles will be available with that (or with the limited commercial option). I'm not particularly interested in ESPN+ right now, but that could change if they make the daily shows available (particularly PTI and Highly Questionable) and with the ability to limit commercials.

Three years is an awfully long time for something sight unseen with no refunds. As an industry reporter pointed out recently, Disney's attempts at providing content/services in the past have failed spectacularly. I don't anticipate that this time, but they are asking for a lot of blind faith here.
I figured as a Disney fan it was easy to commit to 3 years. I also highly doubt the prices we see today undercutting all other streaming platforms will likely stick around. I know we have no idea what content will look like in 3 years, but I think it is very reasonable for the price. If I watch 7 new releases over the 36 months I have it I will feel I have broken even rather than purchasing the movies.

I also find the three-year promotion interesting, since my guess is that it's really just an attempt to boost 4th quarter numbers and show large revenue already for the streaming service - although I'm curious what will happen when they're not adding subscribers quickly enough to make up for that initial influx of subscription money and it could look like Disney+ revenue is down (especially if many others sign up for the year subscription - there may be a lot less money coming into it in month 3, for example).
Remember that accounting software loophole? Maybe the Disney+ side of the Walt Disney Company is using the same system :rotfl:

Real happy Illuminations still went on. It’s probably the last time I’ll see it.
I got an awesome view from my hotel balcony. We called it at 8:30 to get there toddler in bed, when I didn't think they'd do it. She was very upset we weren't staying for fireworks.

Did they make any announcements in the park about it being delayed?

I haven’t gotten the Disney+ email but it finally showed up under my account. For those who have a Discover card, don’t forget to pay using Paypal to get your 5% cash back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter