News Round Up 2020

There is a worst case scenario for Disney -- they have to pretty much abandon or sell the parks.
We are nowhere near that, see my posts from last night in this thread.

And I’m reasonably sure if they were starting to sell assets, they’d start with their stake in A&E Networks and their broadcast operations, not the parks. Any business that doesn’t provide synergy.

Jose Andres starts Employee Support Fund - and offer of discounting gift card you can buy to help these efforts

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to take a growing toll on the hospitality industry, we've been overwhelmed at the outpouring of support from our guests about alternative ways to support the TFG family.

In response, we've created a special edition ThinkFoodGroup Employee Support Fund e-gift Card, with 100 percent of the proceeds going directly to our employees during this challenging time. This special e-gift card, valid at most of our restaurants, is available via our website until April 30 and is currently available at a 20 percent discount.

These e-gift cards will support our employees in two important ways:
  • Fifty percent of all proceeds will help extend compensation and health benefits for our employees as long as possible
  • The remaining 50 percent will support ThinkFamilyFund, our company’s non-profit organization that provides financial relief to TFG employees and their families experiencing extreme hardships

http://www.joseandres.com/giftcard/

There is a worst case scenario for Disney -- they have to pretty much abandon or sell the parks. They MAY not have the money to get them back up and running. I pray we don't see that.

Either way . .the longer this lasts .. the more these companies will have to make TOUGH decisions to stay afloat.
The longer this lasts, the more societal norms will change.

Will people want to travel around the world (or to very crowded places like WDW) with the next new virus potentially around the corner? It's not hard to imagine the tourist industry is going to be hit hard by this, moreso than 9/11. Life went on after a few days after 9/11 .. I remember going to the first NFL game shortly after. It helped the country heal a bit. Here life is STOPPING .. and like a lot of things once something stops, it is hard to get it moving again.

Hopefully Disney can figure out how to hold things together and change to the new norms. I am sure they will.
Disney should have enough cash to weather this out.

The worst case for Disney would be if the stock got beat up enough that an offer from a company like Apple would look really attractive to the big funds that hold Disney.

Pure speculation but his work conference is probably where he picked it up if he didn't pick it up through his travels as in going through the airport itself.

3 people in my county came back from the same work conference (meaning they all attended the same conference not saying it's the conference this man attended) in Florida and were positive.

Conferences and workplace events have been seen as responsible for others too.

But that doesn't change that he was in and around other people at the Parks while he was quite contagious.

The longer this lasts, the more societal norms will change.

Will people want to travel around the world (or to very crowded places like WDW) with the next new virus potentially around the corner? It's not hard to imagine the tourist industry is going to be hit hard by this, moreso than 9/11. Life went on after a few days after 9/11 .. I remember going to the first NFL game shortly after. It helped the country heal a bit. Here life is STOPPING .. and like a lot of things once something stops, it is hard to get it moving again.

Hopefully Disney can figure out how to hold things together and change to the new norms. I am sure they will.
Sad but true.

Last edited:
The fact that new people are coming down with it this week all over the country (after almost a week of lockdown) means they were probably many thousands of cases are out there undetected. Heck .. there are probably tons of people out there who had it, thought it was a cold or flu, got better and done. So there were probably plenty of people at WDW the last two weeks that had COVID-19, just like the flu or the common cold. But unless they have severe symptoms (like this poor man), they may never even go get tested so that "link" to being at WDW while symptomatic won't be there.

That's what keeps me optimistic about this. How many people simply aren't counted in the "big scary number" because they got it, and got better. They got it . .and it was mild or they just thought it was the flu. If that number is big (people who had it but just didn't know it) . .that means the death rate is much, much lower and it's not as scary as they say.

But .. I won't ever know that number, so just need as much testing as possible at this point.

The fact that new people are coming down with it this week all over the country (after almost a week of lockdown) means they were probably many thousands of cases are out there undetected. Heck .. there are probably tons of people out there who had it, thought it was a cold or flu, got better and done. So there were probably plenty of people at WDW the last two weeks that had COVID-19, just like the flu or the common cold. But unless they have severe symptoms (like this poor man), they may never even go get tested so that "link" to being at WDW while symptomatic won't be there.

That's what keeps me optimistic about this. How many people simply aren't counted in the "big scary number" because they got it, and got better. They got it . .and it was mild or they just thought it was the flu. If that number is big (people who had it but just didn't know it) . .that means the death rate is much, much lower and it's not as scary as they say.

But .. I won't ever know that number, so just need as much testing as possible at this point.

There were and are thousands of undetected cases. We don't have tests. Yes, many people will have mild cases. Those mild cases are still extremely contagious and will cause the death rate to be higher because it will spread more easily than the flu/cold.

I wonder what they will do (if anything) for people who bought premium magic bands for their trip and cancelled the trip (or had it cancelled?). Doesn't Disney charge you the extra $15 price of the band if they shipped them to you and you cancel your trip?
(Though .. pretty sure I was never charged for a trip I cancelled last October despite getting those bands as early as June (because of how early they ship them now with the premium bands (which I wasn't expecting))

I would guess they just let you keep em at the discounted price .. *shrug*.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter