News Round Up 2020

so sorry to hear this, but you have to do what you have to do ....

obviously doesn't make up for it, but half-glass-full view, at least you don't have to stress about how the parks will be in May, and by going in October there *should* be stuff for the 50th open ...

... and there will definitely still be cookies in October :D

There's that. :D

I'm sad, but what can you do. Now...Halloween costumes.... 🤔

You are my people so I have to post here.

So incredibly, incredibly bummed right now. Our Walnut had another ED visit that was quite costly, we will get some back though due to insurance. I love this cat more than anything, but this guy is costings us zillions! :D But with my pay-cut and Micky's job loss for most of this year, we are crunching numbers and I'm so sad to say going this May would be too much of a stress on our finances. :(

We postponed to October 20-29, 2021 when we will (knock wood) be well back on our feet financially. We decided not to wait until next year because who the heck knows what that will bring.

I know compared to everything going on in the world, this is nothing, but it stings.
I am sorry you had to move your trip. I know how much you have been looking forward to it. We loved going for all the fall stuff when we went in October a few years ago. Plus you will get to experience the 50th celebration.

So incredibly, incredibly bummed right now. Our Walnut had another ED visit that was quite costly, we will get some back though due to insurance. I love this cat more than anything, but this guy is costings us zillions! :D But with my pay-cut and Micky's job loss for most of this year, we are crunching numbers and I'm so sad to say going this May would be too much of a stress on our finances. :(

We postponed to October 20-29, 2021 when we will (knock wood) be well back on our feet financially. We decided not to wait until next year because who the heck knows what that will bring.

I know compared to everything going on in the world, this is nothing, but it stings.

Sorry to hear this. Hope kitty is ok.

I hated moving our trip to November, but it feels ok now that we are so close to 2021! Like @TheMaxRebo said, now you get to participate in the 50th fun. That helps with the wait, IMO.

Yeah looks like that now with a resort stay you can get a previously free one for $5 now.

Or a themed one for around $7-$20.

I get the move by Disney, why not charge $5 vs for free, but still is another perk gone from onsite.

I do like the MB's. Hate using my phone. So we'll rely on our collection until we might one day be forced to use our phone or pony up the extra $ for new bands.

Charging so little for it, I see this as more a way to recoup some of their shipping cost. Shipping costs in just the last few years have gone thru the roof, between this and some of the other weighty envelopes they send before a trip, it's probably a good chunk of money.

Last edited:

I hope Walnut gets better :hug:

I hated moving our trip to November, but it feels ok now that we are so close to 2021! Like @TheMaxRebo said, now you get to participate in the 50th fun. That helps with the wait, IMO.
I hope Walnut gets better :hug:

Thanks! He has chronic pancreatitis, so while treatable, just costly. But the annoying thing is I think we jumped the gun a bit on this ED visit and it turns out it was nothing. Of course after all the tests...but I don't care, as long as he's feeling fine! 😍

I'm sure I'll get excited again. I know we love October, so maybe it will work out.

Poor Walnut. Do your best for him and take care.

DCL does already use magicbands for the kids clubs too.

I didn't know that and how it was/is used.

To me, they should be sending the MB's to each cruise guest without charge. Based on what we've watched, the cost to make them is likely ~.25 cents. The guests are on a DCL cruise ship so their not going "off-site" for purchases (besides ports).

The MB on the cruise ship would be a cash cow.

I can see the adults going to a lounge and just having the barkeep scan it.

The idea that someone who is paying thousands and thousands of dollars on a DCL cruise would have to pay $20 for MBs is really exploiting them.

Last edited:
I didn't know that and how it was/is used.

To me, they should be sending the MB's to each cruise guest without charge. Based on what we've watched, the cost to make them is likely ~.25 cents. The guests are on a DCL cruise ship so there not going "off-site" for purchases (besides ports).

The MB on the cruise ship would be a cash cow.

I can see the adults going to a lounge and just having the barkeep scan it.

The idea that someone who is paying thousands and thousands of dollars on a DCL cruise would have to pay $20 for MBs is really exploiting them.

the existing ones for the kids club are provided free but you have to return them. If you want to keep it, you are charged ~$15

I wanted to ask, are you at all nervous about the crowds? The last thing I expected was to be going during October and was not even mentally preparing for the 50th Anniversary crowds. 😬

I made our park reservations and in general we are all pretty easy going, so I guess it will be an adventure? Normally we find October crowds to be just fine, especially last trip in 2017, quite pleasant crowd-wise.

I wanted to ask, are you at all nervous about the crowds? The last thing I expected was to be going during October and was not even mentally preparing for the 50th Anniversary crowds. 😬

I made our park reservations and in general we are all pretty easy going, so I guess it will be an adventure? Normally we find October crowds to be just fine, especially last trip in 2017, quite pleasant crowd-wise.

I’m expecting it to be bonkers, but we are used to that Thanksgiving week. We always travel during school breaks so I just expect the worst and hope for the best.

so we are going for the actual 50th - and have our park reservation for MK on Oct 1st - so we knew there were going to be crowds when we booked it. We figured this is sort of an extra and special trip and is more about just being there, rather than getting a lot accomplished

the existing ones for the kids club are provided free but you have to return them. If you want to keep it, you are charged ~$15

What do the kids use them for (interactivity)?

I am aghast they would charge $15 to keep it (they aren't exactly paying shipping charges to the guest). I understand they have to ship them to the cruise ship, but these aren't exactly lead weights.

so sorry to hear this, but you have to do what you have to do ....

obviously doesn't make up for it, but half-glass-full view, at least you don't have to stress about how the parks will be in May, and by going in October there *should* be stuff for the 50th open ...

... and there will definitely still be cookies in October :D

Not if I get to them first.

so we are going for the actual 50th - and have our park reservation for MK on Oct 1st - so we knew there were going to be crowds when we booked it. We figured this is sort of an extra and special trip and is more about just being there, rather than getting a lot accomplished

I was very tempted to book the 50th, but the heat plus crowds plus prices made me skip it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter