Nikon D5000

Hey Chuck, congrats!!! Inside the box, there will be a set of instructions on how to do our secret handshake. DO NOT let the Canon or Pentax guys know about it! Welcome to the club!

Thanks everyone! Right now our cat is my most willing subject. I am really looking forward to taking some cool pics with and posting them here on the DIS board.

Congrats on the new camera - now to get shooting! Cats are great practice subjects - almost a universal test for all folks with new cameras. Especially, getting to know the high ISO abilities of the camera in low light, practicing action shots and panning, and experimenting with flash. You can always count on a cat to dart off randomly just as you're ready to press the shutter button, or position itself strategically under a table in the shadow of the leg when you're trying to get a shot. So shoot that cat!! (with the camera).

Also if you are a Best Buy Rewards Zone member (or signed up) you would have gotten almost $20 in rewards for the purchase :) IMO their Rewards Zone is better than most rewards programs with credit cards let alone just being a customer!

Also wanted to add that I purchased the D5000 with 18-55 and 55-200 (both VR) from Best Buy and have been very happy with it.

Hello all, I recently bought a D5000. I've had it about 8-9 months now. Anyway, I noticed that when I have the VR on and I take a picture the lens slightly shifts. I don't think it always did this. I sent it in for service and they sent it back, no report but still doing this? Is this a defect can anyone clue me in as to why it is functioning that way. Tia

Shifting? Is it autofocusing? Is it effecting the quality of the picture?

It's not effecting the quality of the picture it only shifts when the VR is on on the lens? Which is suppose to be anti vibration and it's slightly shifts after I take a picture. When I turn VR to off it doesn't do it.

I would guess to say that the VR is adjusting to help with the picture. Have you noticed it on a tripod? Maybe do a search for a Nikon message board and see if that will help.

I was just given a Nikon D5000 with out a lens. I was looking for a lens just for every day use (i.e. vacations, photographing my baby nephew, pets, friends, family etc)

I think this is the lens I would want ( 18-55 mm lens...but im not sure!) What's the difference between these 2? Which one should I buy?? I've never had a camera like this, so I'm clueless!!!

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX WA Lens

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR WA Zm Lens

Thanks so much!!

Given the choice of those two, get the "VR" one.

If you can afford a little more, may I suggest you look at the Nikkor 18-105 VR. It's supposed to be a very good lens at a decent price. It would give you a little more available zoom.

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX WA Lens

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR WA Zm Lens
I'd recommend the second of the two -- the "VR" stands for Vibration Reduction, which will allow you to get hand-held shots in lower light than the first, older model. Another recommendation would be for Nikon's 35mm f/1.8G DX AF-S. This will give you a "normal" angle of view on the D5000, and while it doesn't have VR, it has a large maximum aperture that will allow you to shoot in lower light than the other lenses you mentioned. It isn't a zoom, which some people perceive as a drawback, but there are no zooms that let in as much light as this lens does -- at any price, as far as I know. The 35mm lens costs around $200 -- a bargain.

Do you like to zoom? If so, what about going with an 18-200 but in a Sigma or Tamron brand?

Just keep in mind, roughly the 18-55mm will seem like a 3x zoom on a "regular" camera. The 18-200 will feel like roughly around a 10x zoom.

Just another thought, that's all.

The 18-55 is the "kit lense" that usually comes with it. I think it is a good, starting lense and takes good pictures. You definitely want the VR version.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and information! I'm going to look at all the lenses you guys suggested tomorrow when I'm not so tired :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter