No Housekeeping for dvc?

10drum

Mouseketeer
I was just reading a thread and was wondering: Is there no housekeeping for dvc resort? What about a studio? If my dw or I have to make beds on vacation we'd rather stay home. This may be the deciding factor if we buy in or not. Please let us know. Thanks

Housekeeping does not come in daily to the DVC rooms. You can, however, purchase housekeeping at a cost of $25/$30/$35 for a studio/1 bedroom/2 bedroom unit. Housekeeping does come in to collect the trash and give you new towels on the 4th day of a stay and they do a full cleaning on the 8th day of a stay. This is included with your points (no extra charge.) Most people who have joined DVC agree that it is nothing to make the bed and throw the towels into the washer/dryer when necessary. I don't cook or clean on vacation, but making the bed and washing a few towels is not a big deal to us. If it is important to you, you do have the option of buying the extra cleaning services. Hope this helps you in your decision.

It takes about 5 seconds to make the bed. You can empty your garbage in an area usually right outside your door on the bottom floor. It is no big deal. Towels will not be supplied either, so in a studio it is a small problem.
If you are a cash customer your beds, etc will be made daily just as they are at most hotels in this country. Also you can pay a additional fee to have all of the above done dailly.

The reason daily housekeeping is not included is members must pay for housekeeping staff as part of dues and if it was included daily the dues would be much higher. So that is why members who choose to have the daily housekeeping can pay directly, while other members who do not want it do not have to pay higher dues.

I thought we would miss it when we joined DVC, but after 3 trips it's no big deal. We come back to the room for afternoon breaks and I like not having to worry if the maid had been there yet or not.

Jonhm, Thanks, but that thread is why I wrote this one. I also realize that, housekeeping is why the other resorts cost so many points. I really think we will keep going to the resorts, not just for maid service, I think all I'd save is what we pay for breakfast. Thanks to everyone for thier reply.

DVC is no different than the majority of the time share industry. Daily house keeping is not included.

Prior to DVC, we spent time in the mornings making sure our clothes were picked up so the house keeper could clean our room. With DVC, we have MUCH more space to put things away that the rooms are NEVER cluttered. It takes seconds to make the bed (doesn't have to be perfect!) The washer/dryer makes life so easy. thow in a load of towels on your way out the door, dry them when you get back. The difference in space between a DVC resort and any other WDW resort, including all the delux resorts is SPACE. We've paid for extra housekeeping a couple of times when we've brought guests along, however everyone agrees it wasn't necessary as the unit really didn't need it.

I don't scrub my bathroom at home every day, or change the sheets on our bed every day..DVC is really like having a "home away from home"

Try a one bedroom at any of the DVC resorts....I gurantee you'll be hooked!

Since you only want to stay in a studio, and must have housekeeping then I think DVC is not for you, the rest of us are very happy with our DVC purchases.

We'd rather have the luxury of the one-bedroom and above units, if I was just going to use a studio every stay, then I wouldn't have bought either, you won't understand until you experience it yourself also.

If that is why you are not going to buy, then don't. I can't imagine what else would make you upset after you joined.

Three bedroom Grand Villa at OKW for the cost of dues, about $125 a night.

That is why I own DVC. 12 nights every year, I get misty eyed just thinking about how good of a deal we got.

June 2002 will be our first trip as DVC members, but I know in the past I always practically make up the beds when I get up, just because I hate that cluttered feeling I get when they're messed up, plus I want to make sure the kids haven't left anything in the covers that might get taken with the laundry by mistake. I also have a tendency to organize the vanity area, and wipe it off. We make so much trash I always take extra bags because we run out of room in the trash cans.

All that being said, I don't think I'll really miss the daily housekeeping, except maybe with the towels, and sure I'll figure that out when I get there!(studio for 10 of our 14 nights).;)

p.s. What can you do with this extra trash? Will someone pick it up if you sit outside your door, or do you need to dispose of it somewhere? Thanks!

Brave Mom - don't leave your trash sitting in the hall - no one will come by and pick it up. :D There are trash rooms on each floor and if you need to get rid of your trash before the Trash and Towel day, you can take the bag to the trash room. I usually send one of the kids with ours!

The more I read, the more it sounds like more work. Make your bed, haul out the trash, wash your towels, wash the dishes, cook your food, clean the bathroom. Heck, I'm on vacation, clean my room, make my bed, leave us clean towels, haul out the trash, take your tip, see ya tomorrow.

Nobody is forcing you to cook or use the dishes. They are simply an available extra. The amount of trash my family of 4 makes in 3 days I would hardly call "hauling out the trash". We've stayed at many other time shares and they are all basically the same. If you want daily service it is available for a fee, pay for it.

And why would you need to clean the bathroom everyday?

In addition to the premium accomodations that we have with DVC we love not having housekeeping nosing around or room everyday. No real need for the do not disturb....no annoying knocks every morning. Just throw the bed spread on the king size bed, fold the couch and off we go.

As already stated above, daily housekeeping services are available at all DVC resorts for those who desire/require the extra amenity. It is consistent with the rest of the Timeshare industry (and many others don't have it available at all).

At DVC resorts, it is considered a user's fee for those that need the extra service. It is your choice. If you want someone to clean for you and provide fresh linens daily and fold up the couch while you are on vacation- it is available. Some do prefer the extra attention and others, as evidenced by this thread, are quite comfortable doing without. The optional servce is just that. For the studio you indicated you would use, the fee is $25 per day.

Enjoy!

We just got back from a trip to California. I can't tell you how inconvenient it was, having to be sure we were out of the room during the day for maid service. We'd go to breakfast and return - nope, no maid - go do something until midafternoon - still no maid, sometimes they wouldn't come until we'd left for dinner! Give me a studio at OKW anyday, I can use a towel two or three times.

Goodness. I'll take a DVC resort over the Ritz anyday at 1/2 the price and 2x the space and your accommodations prepaid.
Housekeeping is such a minor issue. What is the real reason you don't want to join?

10 drum,
This obviously is NOT your cup of tea, so, why not just end the debate here? You don't need to justify your intent not to purchase anymore than we need to justify why we did purchase and do enjoy.
Most of us do not consider loading a dishwasher, cooking,taking out the trash or making a bed a stressful orfatal activity, even on vacation. If I want total pampering, I go to Sandals in Jamaica.
Remember, different strokes for different folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter