No longer need wheelchair room and the price is going up $300?

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
I feel the responsible thing to do if you’re not going to bring a person with a wheelchair is to give up the wheelchair room. So I called Disney and told them that I no longer needed the wheelchair room and to take off the reservation. And to take the two people off that were wheelchair users.
So why if I’m doing the right thing is it gonna cost me 300 more dollars to do that?
She put me on hold for 15 minutes to find the information for me. She was not strong in the English language, so I’m concerned I may have gone into a non-US call facility. I thought they did away with those? She also said it was going to cost me more because I no longer needed a family size room. What? I told her to keep the reservation as is does anyone have any experience with changes? This is for a September cruise paid in full date is two weeks out for gold so technically I can even wait longer to pay in full.
If you drop off your reservation, it goes up?
I don’t feel like I am honoring Disney request to only use the rooms if I have a wheelchair person with. I’m technically still bringing a wheelchair but I’m not gonna use it on the ship. I’m gonna be using it at the park because I can only walk about three hours and that’s about as long as one ride lol

Were you using an onboard booking placeholder reservation originally? And you were cancelling that reservation? Or it was in the name of one of the dropped guests?

Did you finish the transaction or are you still booked in the HA room?

Were you using an onboard booking placeholder reservation originally? And you were cancelling that reservation? Or it was in the name of one of the dropped guests?

Did you finish the transaction or are you still booked in the HA room?
No, the reservation is under my name and my daughter. I make sure of that because I know the two of us will always travel, but it’s always been questionable whether my parents would because of their age. No, I was not looking to cancel the reservation. I was looking to only modify from five people down to two.
I’m still booked in the HA room, i’m not gonna let it go if it’s gonna be more expensive to do the right thing. I will have my own wheelchair with me, but do not need to use it ever on the ship, but since I’ll be going to the parks the days before and can only walk a few hours. I will need it at the parks, but I’ve never gone on the ship with a wheelchair for myself.

No, the reservation is under my name and my daughter. I make sure of that because I know the two of us will always travel, but it’s always been questionable whether my parents would because of their age. No, I was not looking to cancel the reservation. I was looking to only modify from five people down to two.
I’m still booked in the HA room, i’m not gonna let it go if it’s gonna be more expensive to do the right thing. I will have my own wheelchair with me, but do not need to use it ever on the ship, but since I’ll be going to the parks the days before and can only walk a few hours. I will need it at the parks, but I’ve never gone on the ship with a wheelchair for myself.
You tried to do the right thing. I don’t know if I would be willing to pay the money, either.

Other than attempt another call (hoping to get a different agent), I’d just leave it. You honestly needed the room when booking, now you don’t - you shouldn’t be penalized for freeing that room.

I would call back and see if you get someone else. I agree that I wouldn’t pay to move rooms in the same category (I’m assuming it was the same category.)

Kudos for offering to open up the ADA room.

Many of the call center reps now work from home, so you may have gotten someone who just happens to have an accent. The price probably changed based on the fact the ship is filling up and pricing went up. I don't know how the rep can change those facts.

Are there any more non-HA rooms in your category? If so, you should be able to switch rooms with no change in fare. You should also be able to drop people from the reservation at this point with no penalty.

The issue is that the cruise fares have increased since you initially booked. You no longer lock in rates for other categories as of your booking date. Any change is subject to prevailing rates.

I applaud you for trying to do the right thing by releasing the HA room. I would hope a supervisor might be able to help. Good luck!

If you can’t free the HA room without a cost, try to do it at port. I was once traveling with a friend who ended up in a wheelchair unexpectedly just before the start of the cruise. We asked for a HA room while checking in at port. They didn’t have any available anymore which was really annoying.

If you can’t free the HA room without a cost, try to do it at port. I was once traveling with a friend who ended up in a wheelchair unexpectedly just before the start of the cruise. We asked for a HA room while checking in at port. They didn’t have any available anymore which was really annoying.
Annoying? There are limited accessible cabins, and they get filled before sailing. They don’t keep them available for last minute emergencies.

Annoying? There are limited accessible cabins, and they get filled before sailing. They don’t keep them available for last minute emergencies.
I meant it was annoying for us to manage in and around the cabin, not annoying that they didn’t have any available.

I agree its absurd, and likely due to no more cabins in your category being open. Are you able to see any if you look online? I assume you'd pay less having dropped the other passengers too - is that taken into account when you say $300 or is it even more for just two in another room?

I miss being able to upgrade later on at booking day rates but clearly they make more money without allowing that. Now I just book the lowest category I'm happy with and stay there rather than entertain the cost of upgrading.

I want to call again and give it another try. I feel so selfish taking a family size unit on a 4 day trip with 2 people. Though I will have plenty of luggage since we will have just come from WDW.
I actually am going to bring a folding electric wheelchair, but not going to need it for the cruise. I can walk the length of the ship. I usually never have to stand long on the ship. I might at some point, like bingo.
I did tell her I didn’t need something so big so maybe she just went smaller and didn’t bother to see if another room in my current category.
I could also offer to take a Category 5 for the price of my 4B? Only if I was talking to a supervisor though.
My feeling is I’m going to just stay in my current room and let it ride. But the guilt…Ugh.

Actually, with your wheelchair (even folding), the extra room in a HA might be helpful. You might end up using it on the ship and the wide doorway could come in handy - along with the grab rails in the bathroom (and no trying to get and out of the tub/ shower. That’s a fairly big step out of it if you have strength or balance issues.
And enough space to store your chair.

It is not that uncommon to read that guests were assigned HA rooms for GTY assignments.

I would just keep the room and not worry. You tried.

You may be saving someone from getting a HA who doesn’t really want one … my family would be disappointed with a HA bathroom and would not consider it an upgrade (even with a bigger room).

I would just keep the room and not worry. You tried.

You may be saving someone from getting a HA who doesn’t really want one … my family would be disappointed with a HA bathroom and would not consider it an upgrade (even with a bigger room).
What is that you don’t like about a HA room? The shower and wet floors? That’s my least favorite part, but with my dad it’s been so helpful. I’ve now learned how to stand where the water is going toward the corner of the shower away from the sink and toilet. My mom on the other hand… sometimes I’m lucky just to get the curtain used by her!

It’s just more likely to have water uncontained. And a lot of guests really like the split bathrooms found in most cabins.

I did tell her I didn’t need something so big so maybe she just went smaller and didn’t bother to see if another room in my current category.
I could also offer to take a Category 5 for the price of my 4B? Only if I was talking to a supervisor though.
My feeling is I’m going to just stay in my current room and let it ride. But the guilt…Ugh.
Technically, I don't think it matters if there's another room in your current category. If the price today is higher than it was when you booked, policy is you pay the difference, even if moving to a new room in the same category. Of course you could get pixie dusted/supervisory override, but that would be the exception. Same thing moving to a lower category-you're still subject to the fare as it is the day you want to make the change.

Not saying I agree with the logic, as I do see what you're trying to do. But, that is how DCL currently operates. You can try again and see if you can get a supervisor who's willing to help, but I wouldn't expect it. And I wouldn't feel guilty if they can't-you certainly did your best to open up that room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter