No Matter What Happens Going Forward

lugnut33

DIS Veteran
My girls will always have the wonderful memories we have made at Disney Resorts and Theme Parks. Yeah, we've spent a lot of money (and are spending more in April), but I don't regret that for one minute. Sure, we could save more for their college or our retirement, but life is so short I hate to miss out on having fun with them.

I know that 30 years from now my girls will always look back fondly on the time we have spent together making memories.

That's all, I just felt like saying that.

Couldn't agree more!! We're planning trip #3 for 2011, and it will probably be the last one, at least for quite awhile, since the kids are getting older, harder to take out of school, etc. (We went in 2007 and 2009). Yes, the total cost of those 3 trips could've done a lot of remodeling or whatever around the house, or gone towards college or something else. But the memories are PRICELESS!

I TOTALLY AGREE...I live this way and always have....I know that I am supposed to be concerned about the future..and I am...but if that means that I dont get to do fun, great things with my kids or my hubby or as a family...the future is not worth it to me...Life is too short (and I have been in many situations of realizing this) to sit on my money..

Totally agree with this way of looking at vacations and family time.

I am a Home Health nurse, have been for 19 years. The one lesson I have learned from my many, many patients is don't wait to travel thinking you'll have plenty of time after retirement.

If I had a dollar for every time one of my patients lamented about how they had planned to travel but now either they or their spouse are unable I could have paid for a Disney trip.

Go while you are younger and have your health. Make those memories to keep you company when life slows down for you!

ITA! Trust me. Our oldest son passed away in Dec. of 07 and I would not trade one minute of the time nor one dollar of the money we have spent at WDW! Yes, we should all plan for the future, but at the same time realize that tomorrow is not promised to anyone. I just don't think it would be the same to sit around and say, "remember the time we put an additional $50 in savings?" instead of the many funny, happy memories we have of all our vacations. I carry his last KTTW card in my wallet at all times.

I agree 100% OP. We'll be taking our third trip to Disney World this summer, and I consider the money we've spent there to be one of the best investments I've ever made, because it pays huge dividends in happy childhood memories!

I also believe we can't waste a moment, I worked for hospice for many years and if one thing it taught me is to live life to it fullest and them some.

I work as the office manager for my family's business which just happens to be a funeral home. The things I see on a daily basis cause me to be completely determined to live life to the fullest. We make a comfortable living and we could have lots of "things" but we choose to spend alot of time and money at WDW making memories with our kids. I believe that there are alot of things that money can buy that highly overrated. We have a pretty nice house, cars that get us where we need to be, food to eat and none of us are naked! I am going to have as much fun as possible for as long as i can because you just never know when it will all end.

Thank you!! I really needed to hear this right now. We leave tomorrow on a relatively last second trip thanks to comped plane tickets and money from our plane issues last fall. The tickets were "non-transferrable", but I know very well they weren't tied to our names so we could have sold them. We have things to pay...always. DH is working more hours for a 25% pay cut, I am having to teach outside my curriculum next year so people can keep their jobs, so more hours for me too.
Instead, when we got the money, we decided to take the trip. Things looked ok, so off we go to Disney tomorrow. Since we paid for the trip (and we rented points and used UCT so no refunds), finances have gotten a little worse, and I was starting to feel so guilty I didn't think I'd have a fun trip at all. I just kept thinking I'd be on Splash Mountain wondering what will happen if DH's job ends, etc.
You guys just reminded me why we spend our meagre income at Disney. My boys live, eat and breathe it. So do DH and I, actually! There isn't a day that goes by when we don't discuss a past or future trip, a movie, character, etc. We first started going when they were 2 and 5. Now they are 11 and 8, and the family memories they cherish are Disney-related. They have grown up there, so to speak. Both kids even want to work there someday (one performer, one imagineer).
I know one day we'll go with their kids as well, God willing. But we all know there are no promises given to us. We can't always just want something enough. And wishing on a star doesn't always make all dreams come true. I'd hate to think I had squandered the one resource we can't replace: time. Money may come or, lately, go. I can be rich/poor/rich again, but my 11 year old will never again be able to fit in my lap. My 8 year old won't ever need a sippy cup or a kiss on his owie from now on. I can't manufacture memories, and I think they gain more interest than an IRA anyway. ;)
I know it'll disappoint them if we can't go back after this trip. Things change, and they are not spoiled (in spite of the Disney trips...I know!) and know that some parts of life don't work the way we want them to. That being said, I need to stop guilting/worrying myself to tears over things I can't control and just GO TO DISNEYWORLD already! :cool1: Thanks again, Disers! You managed to allay my fears and send me off with renewed faith in pixie dust.

I agree completely!!!!
Now if I could just convince my DH to feel the same way! He can't believe we're going 11/28-12/7 this year and we're going again with my entire family (parents, sister and her family) for Halloween 2012! That's practically two years apart!!! :eek:

Five years ago I was in a pedestrian vs old van accident in a crosswalk. Truthfully I am lucky to be here. My kids were 1 and 3 when it happened. I recall nothing it is like someone flipped a switch. Life is too short not to live it now. My little ones wont be little long and I want to take advantage of all that I can. It made me feel great when I told my oldest who is 8 we are doing the character dinner at CP with Pooh ( I expected an eye roll) I got a look of anticipation followed by Tigger too? and a loud YES!

I totally agree!! :thumbsup2 For me making memories with my kids are priceless and the good thing is they last forever. I know my kids love going because out of the blue they'll hit me with hey dad remember when we were at Disney and.....
Those are things that hopefully thirty years from now they'll still remember. For me, you can't put a price tag on that.

Totally agree with this way of looking at vacations and family time.

I am a Home Health nurse, have been for 19 years. The one lesson I have learned from my many, many patients is don't wait to travel thinking you'll have plenty of time after retirement.

If I had a dollar for every time one of my patients lamented about how they had planned to travel but now either they or their spouse are unable I could have paid for a Disney trip.

Go while you are younger and have your health. Make those memories to keep you company when life slows down for you!

Well said!
My Dad died last year and planned to travel with mom when he retired. He died at 65.

You don't always have to travel to WDW but everyone should spend quality time with their families and go places. Go to National Parks as well. Enjoy life and have fun.

Well said!
My Dad died last year and planned to travel with mom when he retired. He died at 65.

You don't always have to travel to WDW but everyone should spend quality time with their families and go places. Go to National Parks as well. Enjoy life and have fun.

I'm so sorry about your dad. :hug:

I'm all for spending quality time with my family. Little moments sure do mean a lot. Time goes by so quickly. While it's great to save for the future, I think you also need to invest in things like vacations or something for the whole family to do together.

I agree!
My dad passed away last February and I have such fond memories of going to Disney World with him! When my mom, sister, and I go next month, I know we will all be thinking of him.
Life's too short not to make memories!!!

Growing up my parents took us to Disney almost every other year. It was always our absolute favorite. I always knew we were incrediably fortunate to have such wonderful parents who took us on all the great trips to Disney but I don't think as a kid you can really grasp or appreciate it.

I really realized it last year when I had the opportunity to go with my father and 2 of my siblings to Walt Disney World after an almost 15 year absence (yikes!) I was totally unprepared for the flood of memories that it awakened in me. The sights, smells and sounds were all like I had remembered them to be, even after 15 years of not being there. But what really struck me was the realization of what my parents had given us with all those trips. So much more than the trip were the lasting memories that will always live on. Memories of the great times we shared as a family.

What a remarkable gift my parents gave us - those memories are priceless. They truley were some of the happiest memories I have and they are as clear as if they happened yesterday.

Believe me you are giving your girls a precious, priceless gift - memories to last a lifetime.

I agree...up to a point.

I don't think that it's wise to go if you can't pay your bills or are in danger of losing your income. Of course, it's still your business but I just hope that people think it through.

I cherish a lot of memories too and they're not all Disney related. I think that it's important to have fun and learn and experience things. This is a part of what makes life worthwhile IMO.

ITA! Trust me. Our oldest son passed away in Dec. of 07 and I would not trade one minute of the time nor one dollar of the money we have spent at WDW! Yes, we should all plan for the future, but at the same time realize that tomorrow is not promised to anyone. I just don't think it would be the same to sit around and say, "remember the time we put an additional $50 in savings?" instead of the many funny, happy memories we have of all our vacations. I carry his last KTTW card in my wallet at all times.

:grouphug: Live is too short. I was just thinking today that between last year's trip and this year's we could have put it to something else. But then I remember our memories are priceless and since we can afford to go to Disney, why not!!
(now I have to convince DH about next year too)

We have spent A LOT of money of the years on trips to WDW. They are the most wonderful memories of my life. We took our daughter to WDW from age five up until her last visit with us when she was 18. She has been through some very difficult times since that last trip. She will be in a fight for her life against a disease for the rest of her life and we are suffering along with her. The one thing that can not be taken away are all those happy vacations we all shared. Those funny little inside jokes only we laugh at, watching her interactions with the characters, the alone time as a family. I cherish every trip we took to Florida and would never trade one away for anything else. I will have the memory forever burned in my mind of my daughter at age 13 stepping into an ocean for the first time of her life while I watched smiling from the beach. That is priceless.
The reason I keep going back with my husband is because WDW is the place where we, as a family were happiest. I revisit all the places we have been and I get a little sad at times but with each trip to WDW without my daughter, the sadness fades and I find myself smiling again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter