• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more Delta Express in Columbus

E

erikthewise

Apparently the Delta Express operation in Columbus, OH is being shut down.
At least our flights in Dec 2002 have been replaced by Chatauqua Airlines (?) flights on Embraer aircraft (bleaauugh! @#$%!). If you have a Delta Express flight out of Columbus you should check the status of it.

I hope this isn't so. If it is we will not be flying Delta next year.

Unfortunately, I think it is true. We are flying Delta Express from Columbus on Sunday, everything is normal on these flights. We are going back in Jan. When I checked for flights, the schedule is completely different, and the strange carrier and plane type are listed (never heard of either one!)

I don't understand why this happened. The Delta planes that we have been on to MCO for the past 5 years have always been either completely full, or just a few empty seats.

I'm with you Disneymeo--I will be looking into Southwest, and America West. After my trip next week, I plan on contacting Delta. I'll post whatever I find out.:(

Be sure to see my thread on America West matches Southwest. You need to buy NOW for travel through Jan 10, I think, or whenever the Southwest sale extends to.

I agree with your evaluation. I have been a big Delta fan in the past and probably will continue to be one. But I refuse to buy tickets to fly on Embraer aircraft if I can possibly avoid it. Cutting Delta Express means we probably won't be using Delta to WDW anymore; just bought America West for our Dec trip.

Delta still has reasonably good prices out of Columbus to Orlando but now our nonstop options are Southwest and America West. Delta also flies nonstop out of Cincinnati which is fine for us but the Cincinnati prices range from high to outrageous.

BTW we were able to get a refund for our previously purchased Delta Express tickets.

This is interesting. I have a flight out of Columbus in December and just hadn't bothered checking on the flight status, since it's still some time away.

I'm not a seasoned traveler and I certainly don't fly very often. So, my question is this -- what's wrong with Chatauqua Airlines?

Debbie

(BTW Delta Express goes bye-bye as of 11/1/02. I have no knowledge of its fate in cities other than Columbus, OH.)

Perhaps there's nothing wrong with Chautauqua, but that would certainly be unique among airlines, wouldn't it?

My objections were

(1) My reservations were with Delta Express, and I didn't appreciate being "dumped" onto an airline I hadn't even heard of.

(2) I don't like flying on Embraer aircraft, and would never have made reservations for my family to fly on one. The flight is very long (800+ miles) for commuter aircraft.

Hi all of you Ohio Disers! I have been checking Jan. airfares. It looks like Americawest is going to be our best bet out of Columbus. They have a non-stop that isn't at the crack of dawn, and right now the price is at $178. I think it leaves at 8:30 am. Southwest doesn't have their schedule for past Jan 10 yet.

I have always had great service from Delta and am very disappointed that they have changed the carrier and flight times. Right now, non stop flights leave at either 7 am or 1 pm (have always taken the 11 am flight). I just flew down to MCO a couple of weeks ago on Delta--the plane was full coming and going. I don't get why they changed this???:confused:

Erik--I agree with you, it is too small of a plane for that length of trip. Have you looked at the seating chart at delta.com? It looks like there are only 2 seats per side.:(

I hate to give up Delta, but looks like I'm going to have to. I'm just glad we have some other carriers to choose from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter