Noob to DL

SpaceMonkey35

Don't mind if I do
Hi everyone
Obviously nothing can happen at the moment of course but for my next trip (whenever that may be) is going to be DL for sure
Just wanted to ask a few “easy” questions to the forum
1) how many days would I need in park to say that I did most of it and be satisfied?
2) suggestions on hotels nearby that don’t make you feel like you’re staying in a hotel?
3) how does one eat at Disney without the dining plan?!? Haha
Also I’m from Canada and it would be appreciated if anyone knew of ways to save money anyway I can
Thanks in advance and stay safe

Hi, I'm an international solo visitor to Disneyland, I have been going each year for about 10 years. This is my June 2019 trip report which will give you a good overview of what it USED to be like. https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...any-firsts-mixed-with-old-favourites.3758518/ Just be aware that all of our touring plans and park experience is now not valid as Disneyland has been closed since March,

1) how many days would I need in park to say that I did most of it and be satisfied?
I have done 1, 2 and 3 days in the park. Most people say 3 to 4 days to do everything and then repeat your favorites.

2) suggestions on hotels nearby that don’t make you feel like you’re staying in a hotel?
Not sure what you mean. At Disneyland, the location of the hotel / motel is what most people feel is important. The motels /hotels on Harbour Boulevard are approx 10 minutes walk to the bag check security area but most are motels with outside corridors and basic amenities. Hotels with inside corridors and more amenities are further way and are not walkable.

Most hotels have a breakfast facility. I usually have Starbucks for breakfast. I usually have 1 table service meal per day. Snacks ad quick service, counter service have a better variety and higher standard than in WDW so food is not an issue.

Hello and welcome! Here's hoping you'll be able to visit Disneyland Resort in 2021.

BadPinkTink gave good answers. I am going to agree with the idea that you don't have to spend too many days to experience most of it, or at least that's how it USED to be. I don't know what it will be like with new rules etc. I used to say 3 days, possibly 4 if you want to try almost everything. There will never be a time you'll go when everything is open, so keep in mind that you won't get to see some of the things on your list, Covid or not. I like what BPT said about having an extra day to revisit favorites.

I'm also unsure what you mean with your second question. All of the hotels I've stayed in (which is probably about 2/3 of them) felt like hotels, some fancier than others. Not even the Disney hotels have the same kind of full-on theming that, from what I've heard, can be found at WDW, but the on-site hotels are my favorites. They come at a steep price, though, and not everyone can or wants to pay it. I consider the whole hotel resort experience a large part of my visit, but I've seen pretty much everything and I'm older so although I love rides, I also have come to enjoy an afternoon wine and cheese tasting or appetizers at Trader Sam's with the musicians playing island music on the terrace. Off site, there are some good options that are fairly new and some beautiful new hotels that are supposed to give the on-site hotels a run for their money. The places on the corners of Katella and Harbor are newer and offer family suites. They're a little farther away than the motels across the street from the park, but still walkable for most.

I've never had a dining plan so I don't know how to compare, but eating at DLR is very simple IMO and there are a lot of options. DTD has some excellent dining places for both quick and sit-down, and both parks have as well. I think it would be great to have a dining plan and not have to worry about money (not really sure how it works), but I think you'll find it a pretty easy transition to go without at DLR.

Hope you get to have your trip sooner rather than later and that you have tons of fun!

Hi everyone
Obviously nothing can happen at the moment of course but for my next trip (whenever that may be) is going to be DL for sure

We personally do 5 days, 4 is our minimum. We do every ride that is open multiple times, we watch shows, shop, and sit to eat each meal. We also like doing a few character meals as well and those take us a while. Oh and we visit both the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian to shop, eat, and take in the atmosphere. Besides that we go to the hotel each afternoon to swim if it's nice out.

I discovered staying down the street last trip, we've stayed at both Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian, for us the price negatively affects our budget and doesn't add enough wow. Many feel that it does, it depends on the budget set for your trip. We last stayed at the Hilton down the street and it was great, we got breakfast/coffee at Starbucks most mornings for convenience. Ubers to the park were $6 to $8 each way to the park plus a tip. Next time we'll be staying at the Embassy Suites once the parks open back up. I love Embassy Suites personally and take advantage of wine in the evenings.

I've never had a dining plan. I'm a bit of a over planner and review menus on the DL site to plan for meals. We personally plan for $150 each day for our family of three for food. That includes two meals, snacks, and coffees. We like to snack so much that three meals is too many. We do one quick service and one full service each day.

Also I’m from Canada and it would be appreciated if anyone knew of ways to save money anyway I can

Only thing I’d add is that DLR (normally) is very relaxed compared to WDW. With few exceptions (Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, Rise of the Resistance, a couple other experiences), and with some understanding of how things flow (the pinned threads here walk you through much of that), you can walk into the park with almost no plan and still accomplish a majority of things.

MaxPass is a significant helper with this. Paying attention to wait times in the app also helps plan your day, during your day.

Certain bits of tribal knowledge fill in the gaps.
i.e:
-Peter Pan will consistently have long waits. Best chances for a short line there are at rope drop
-Many attractions have shorter standby lines during parades/F!/fireworks
-Space Mtn, Indy, & Radiator Springs Racers Fastpasses go the fastest and are usually gone for the day by mid to late afternoon. Faster on busier days.
-Some evenings, standby lines for POTC, HM and BTMRR are non-existent. I’ve walked right on many times after the F! crowds have dispersed.

Hi everyone
You are getting good advice already. Read through this classic thread for more help: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. The pre-COVID details may not apply to your trip plans, but the basic principles of the differences between DLR and WDW are very helpful.
For more helpful (pre-COVID) threads, look here: HydroGuy Tips Compilation.

Thank you all very much for the info it’s very helpful. I’ll start to look into some of things you guys spoke about and that should give me a good start

Hi everyone
How many days would you need in park to say you did most of it and were satisfied?
It depends. For me, 3-4 days with 4 being preferable.

Hotels nearby that don't make you feel like you're staying in a hotel:
I don't know what you mean by this. Even the 3 on site hotels feel like you're staying in a hotel.

If you're looking for the "Disney bubble" like people often describe at WDW, you will be disappointed. But I would argue that the "bubble" is really all about your own personal attitude when you go.

That being said, to make your Canadian travel dollars spread farther, you absolutely should stay at an off site hotel. This will allow you more wiggle room in the budget for extras like a fabulous dinner at Napa Rose, Carthay Circle, or the Blue Bayou. Or a World of Color dessert party (whenever night time shows resume...who knows when that will be...heck, we'll all just be satisfied with being able to GO to Disneyland at this point).

Some of the hotels along Harbor Blvd offer some sort of free breakfast. THE closest one to the crosswalk is the Best Western Park Place Inn. We've stayed before next door at the Park Vue Inn and were very happy staying there. Most of these places are a traditional motor lodge layout with a pool in the middle of the parking lot. The walk from Park Vue Inn or BWPPI is less than half what it takes to walk from Contemporary Resort to the Magic Kingdom.

How do you eat at Disney without the dining plan?
The old fashioned way. You pay for it out of pocket. You squirrel away money ahead of time. You can also put $$ on a Disney gift card and pay with that (but I don't think you can use a gift card to pay a tip for a TS restaurant). QS restaurants at DL are better, in my opinion, than at WDW...better quality, more variety.

TS ADRs are not nearly as big a "thing" at DL compared to WDW.

Our preference is usually 3 days, not including travel days.

If you mean which hotels are more home-like, with amenities like full-sized fridges and usable kitchens/kitchenettes, then I would recommend Residence Inn, Homewood Suites, or Hyatt House.

I think there used to be a dining plan at Disneyland Resort. But I haven’t heard of one lately. It’s a different paradigm from WDW, for sure.

I’ve seen a handful of good tips from the planDisney site. If you have specific questions, they may be able to help some there.

You can also put $$ on a Disney gift card and pay with that (but I don't think you can use a gift card to pay a tip for a TS restaurant).
Yup! We use Disney GCs all the time! That’s a great tip too! We have even used them to pay for gratuities at TS restaurants. Just fill out the slip like it was on a credit card. You just need to make sure you use a gift card that will still have enough funds on it to cover the tip. Also, it is probably best to wait a little while before using that card again at a shop or other location. Restaurants usually don’t wait too long to re-run the charge to pull out the tip from your GC after you leave. But it would probably be best to wait a bit, just in case.

1.) 3 -5. If you want to view every show/parade likely 5 days. 3 days is doable if you go at the busier times when the park is open for longer hours.
2.) If you want more of an apartment, Dolphin's Cove. If you are looking for a hybrid, Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, REsidence Inn.
3.) Very easy. There's lot of walk up places to eat. You could visit and never eat at a full service restaurant.

Hi everyone
A little late in replying, but my thoughts:
1-- I prefer 4-5 days for a first trip, ideally with at least 1 day being a weekend day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). In pre-COVID times, some shows only happened Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the "off season." So if you weren't planning on going during summer, spring break, or the winter holidays, you could easily miss shows, parades, fireworks, etc. For a first time visitor, those are some really great things to see!

2-- If you're meaning something that feels more homey, there are (were?) short-term rentals throughout the area, like VRBO, AirBnB, etc. Make sure to ask about their STR permit status. Anaheim requires certain criteria for short term rentals, including being registered with the city. If they aren't registered, there's a potential for you to come "home" from the parks with an unfortunate fine for staying at a non-registered place. Both owners and renters can be fined, unfortunately. If you consider doing a short term rental, look up the address on Google Maps and map the walk. Lots of places will say they are "right across the street!" However, they neglect to note that "right across the street" is right across the street from the parking lot, without a nearby crosswalk... So, you have to decide if you would like to play a game of "human frogger" or want to walk twice as far to cross safely. This is a common sales tactic for other motels and hotels in the area as well. Being "across the street" can still mean walking over a half-mile, since the pedestrian entrances aren't at the far corners of the property.

3-- Dining at Disneyland is SO easy! Meal reservations aren't necessary, but recommended if you have your heart set on a certain dining location. You can generally make dining reservations just a few weeks out; I've gotten most of my reservations just a week before my trip. We also have tons of walk-up, quick service meals that are tasty. If you feel lost at the idea of not pre-paying for your meals, you can always load a Disney gift card with the money you would like to spend on meals. Quick service are usually around $10-15 per adult (think: corn dog meal). Counter service (order at the register, pick up at the counter) is $12-18-ish. Table service varies a lot; at Cafe Orleans, we pay about $25-30 per person, but at Carthay, we spend about $65 per person. From what I've heard, our no-reservations places are tastier than at WDW, and much more plentiful.

Have fun planning!

Disneyland doesn't require much advance planning unless you want certain restaurants and fast passes for the more popular rides (already mentioned). It is more locals then travelers unlike WDW so it gets crowded in the afternoons and evenings, but would clear out after parades ( when they were still allowed to have them).

3 days for leisure, 4 for super slow and to repeat, 2 if you want to see most of it, but don't care about everything( one park per day.) For the time being it looks
like when they reopen you won't be able to park hop (for a while,) but they are close so it is an option if you have some must dos, like rise of the resistance, you want to attempt multiple days to get-when it goes back.to "normal".

Hotels- most chains are represented so I would suggest picking the type of hotel you are looking for and checking the hotel thread get the pros and cons for each, as you question is to vague to give real advice. Try," I need a rooms with a kichen," or "a room for five adults" etc...

These are questions most people ask so if you use the search you will find similiar questions you can look through and check for people with similiar interests and family make up to yours (couple, extended family, young children, and older children etc).

Happy planning!

I recommend a min of 4 days and if you have the time, 5. That last day can be like a bonus where you redo the things you enjoyed or missed. It gives you the chance to slow down and take in the details and compared to what 4 days costs, it may not be that much more.

Hello. Fellow Canadian too. We took our first trip 3 summers ago and loved it.

We combined California trip (LA and Santa Monica Pier) with 3 days at the parks plus arrival day. Could have gladly added another day, but we didn't find that we missed anything. They were full days (no break back at the hotel).

For our arrival day, we checked into our hotel and then walked across the street and explored Downtown Disney. It has some neat shops.

To save money, we stayed at Desert Inn and Suites. We selected a room that was a suite with 2 rooms so it worked well for our family of 4. Breakfast was included which made for a quick morning, and then we'd head to the parks for the day....Went from opening (which was 9:30am or so in late summer to evening). The hotel is pretty basic but good for what we needed....close, convenient, spacious and comfortable. Plus it is right across the street from the parks.

For our first day, we used the standard FastPass; however, for the next two days we tried MaxPass. Unless your party is large, I recommend MaxPass. It's great for say, being at DL and then being able to book a FastPass at DCA (e.g. Radiator Springs) Saves so much time not having to walk there to pull a pass. Plus, if it's still like this, you can book another pass within 1.5 hrs instead of 2hrs with the paper FastPass.

We didn't have a dining plan....just purchased meals as we went. One thing to note...not sure when you are coming but you can get free ice water from any of the fast meal places...so you can always have water (great too if going in the heat). One item we did splurge on, and I highly recommend if it's in your budget is the World of Color Dessert Party. Not cheap, but worth it for a great seat and some treats while you watch the show. (Assuming the show is still there).

Enjoy....Disneyland is amazing. So convenient with both parks side by side.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

First off, you have received great advice! I will offer my humble suggestions that work for my family and I.
1) I would say, at least 4+ or as many as you can afford to go. (This way, you will not feel rushed or pressured to hurry, hurry, hurry. You will miss all the fine details that are around if you slow down and really be in the moment.)

2) We usually stay on site (GCH during Dapper Days and Gay Days). Nothing beats riding Grizzly Rapids over and over and over and over again, then several steps from the ride's exit is the entrance to your hotel and you are back into your room putting on dry clothes!

3) We graze throughout the parks and DTD. There is always something new we want to try, so we will get one of each new things, and share! This way, we don't waste (as much) money and we get to try things and not feel as guilty if we do not like them! Plus, we then know if we want another item and NOT share! LOL I would suggest checking out the menus on Disneyland website. You will see the cost of the item and a description too. I also suggest checking out any food posts by
figment_jii .
She has some of the best pictures and descriptions about the food in both parks, hotels and I think DTD.
Malcon10t
Also has good pictures and descriptions too.

We always have a meal or two at Carnation Cafe on Main Street. We usually have an early lunch or late breakfast after Magic Morning/Early Entry to recap our morning fun and plan the rest of the day. Nice to sit and watch the hustle and bustle on Main Street while enjoying the meatloaf. MMmmmm. Everyone in my family has their favorite that they order. Portions are large and we never have room for dessert.

My daughters and I love having tea at the Disneyland Hotel. That books up very quickly 60 days out. It is only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

For a snack, I love getting the Pear-O-Dice Drink and an order of the dill popcorn from the Cozy Cones in DCA, grab a seat and watch the crowds while waiting for the lights to turn on! Oh do I miss the happiest place on earth!

Have fun planning your trip!

Fellow Canadian here. We visited in February 2019 and are waiting to go back as soon as it's safe!
1) how many days would I need in park to say that I did most of it and be satisfied? We did five, and would probably do that many next time as well. We do have a small child, though, and we went back to the room for a couple hours every afternoon then went out for dinner before returning. Without small kids I think four would be good.
2) suggestions on hotels nearby that don’t make you feel like you’re staying in a hotel? We stayed at Fairfield Inn. It is a hotel, though, but it is less than a ten minute walk so you can't lose. We would stay here again if the price was right.
3) how does one eat at Disney without the dining plan?!? We walked to the Walgreens one night (about a 10-15 min walk each way) and picked up some stuff to keep in our room for breakfast or a morning snack to take to the park. Examples: granola bars, boiled eggs, cheese strings, yogurt, etc. For lunch we would usually order just one adult meal and one kid meal and split it among the three of us. Our daughter will be older next time so maybe we will need to get two adult meals to split. For dinner we ate at Anaheim Garden Walk or Downtown Disney.

Hi everyone
1. 2 days
2. Its Anaheim so unless you stay on property it feels like a hotel. I have stayed at most.
3. Cash or credit card.

1. 2 days
2. Its Anaheim so unless you stay on property it feels like a hotel. I have stayed at most.
3. Cash or credit card.

Fly into John Wayne Airport. If you stay at hotel near the park you can take a bus for $4 to the parks and many you can walk. If taking a car hotels near Disney charge up to $50 per day to park. Uber to park and save over $25 a day to park at the park.

Hi everyone

1. It depends; are you planning on visiting both DL and DCA? I would say 2 days in DL and 1 day in DCA. I think DCA can be done in a day if you plan it right. There is a lot IMO that doesn't justify even experiencing in DCA (I am sure someone will argue with me about this)
2. If it were me I would not anywhere directly near by. I would rent a car and stay somewhere a bit away from Anaheim. Unless you can afford to stay on property at DLR I do not think off-property is very magical around DLR. Some may argue Great Wolf Lodge but I would say any where closer to the beach would be awesome. But then you will be driving to Anaheim each day. You may save some money going this route.
3. Again my opinion only...the food has never been great at DLR and you will have to pay out of pocket for food. My suggestion is breakfast at your hotel or an off property restaurant, brown bag your lunches and eat your dinner in the park there is enough decent restaurant to eat dinner at but remember this is Disney and it is going to hurt. That was one of the most amazing things to me about WDW after my entire life of going to DL is the food. You will definitely save money this way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter