North Shore Suggestions?

rosegold:)

Mouseketeer
Hello all!

I am planning our trip to Aulani, and we are taking one day to go to the North Shore! We are big foodies, so we want to try everything the North Shore has to offer. This is our first time heading up North. We are planning to do a lot of places so we get a little of everything, rather than a full meal service at a single restaurant. We are big pastry fans too, so I'm looking for any delicious pastries to try! Does anyone have suggestions for where we should go? Currently on my list is:
1. Giovanni's Shrimp and Big Wave
2. Matusmoto's Shave Ice
3. Somewhere for malasadas

Hello all!

I am planning our trip to Aulani, and we are taking one day to go to the North Shore! We are big foodies, so we want to try everything the North Shore has to offer. This is our first time heading up North. We are planning to do a lot of places so we get a little of everything, rather than a full meal service at a single restaurant. We are big pastry fans too, so I'm looking for any delicious pastries to try! Does anyone have suggestions for where we should go? Currently on my list is:
2. Matusmoto's Shave Ice
I am in the same boat - never been to Oahu before and food is my central pre-occupation! I have no experience, but I have a few suggestions that have come up in my research. Also, neither of these are in Haleiwa - both are further east on Kamehameha Hwy:

1) Ted's Bakery - near Sunset Beach
2) Da Bald Guy food truck - in Kahuku Sugar Mill (which also apparently has a much-less-busy Giovanni's shrimp truck)

Hello all!

2. Matusmoto's Shave Ice
Keep in mind, once you get up past Wahiawa on Kam Highway, you really are out in what locals refer to as the "country". I agree with @J-Dog that there are actually better places to grab good Hawaiian food further over towards the windward side of the island (closer to Kahuku). Hale'iwa is a cool little town, but it can get a bit crowded as it's easy to find, has a few shark dive companies, and is kinda the "gateway" to the North Shore. Matsumoto's can get stupid busy (it's tiny).

Full meal service will be few and far between up there. We like to grab a plate lunch off of a food truck and sit on the beach closer to Waimea. Uppers is a nice beach to sit and eat your lunch and depending on the time of year, watch some decent swells roll in. Chuns isn't bad at all either. Finding a spot to park is usually the biggest challenge and you may need to do the death run across the highway (only 2-lanes wide, so being a bit overly dramatic). You can do that before taking a trip up the valley to see the falls (and swim in them!) Past Waimea, Sunset Beach Park is also nice to stop and relax.

Just get yourself onto Kam Highway and let your adventurous spirit take you. You'll find places to grab a plate lunch dotted all along the highway, with some of the best over in Kahuku and Laie.

Keep in mind, once you get up past Wahiawa on Kam Highway, you really are out in what locals refer to as the "country". I agree with @J-Dog that there are actually better places to grab good Hawaiian food further over towards the windward side of the island (closer to Kahuku). Hale'iwa is a cool little town, but it can get a bit crowded as it's easy to find, has a few shark dive companies, and is kinda the "gateway" to the North Shore. Matsumoto's can get stupid busy (it's tiny).

Full meal service will be few and far between up there. We like to grab a plate lunch off of a food truck and sit on the beach closer to Waimea. Uppers is a nice beach to sit and eat your lunch and depending on the time of year, watch some decent swells roll in. Chuns isn't bad at all either. You can do that before taking a trip up the valley to see the falls (and swim in them!) Past Waimea, Sunset Beach Park is also nice to stop and relax.

Just get yourself onto Kam Highway and let your adventurous spirit take you. You'll find places to grab a plate lunch dotted all along the highway, with some of the best over in Kahuku and Laie.
Grabbing some poke bowls from Foodland Pupukea and eating it on any of the beaches is always nice too. Especially during sunsets. :-)

Grabbing some poke bowls from Foodland Pupukea and eating it on any of the beaches is always nice too. Especially during sunsets. :-)
Very true. People don't believe you when you tell them they can get great food at some of the local markets (and pretty good SPAM musubi at 7-11...LOL).

Hello all!

2. Matusmoto's Shave Ice
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Laie is a must. Not sure what Big Wave.
If you're going to Matsumoto's in Haleiwa, it makes sense to go to Pa'ala Kai Bakery for Snow Puffies. You'll be sweet toothed out and the Puffies would probably be better with your next morning Coffee! How far North will you be heading? May want to check out Waihole Poi Factory for some nice Hawaiian Food and of course, the Sweet Lady of Waihole dessert (Kulolo & Haupia Ice Cream). If you still have room for Malasadas, on your way back to Aulani, stop by the Leonard's Malasada Truck in Waikele or...you can take it home! Just pick up on the way to their Airport. Also, it's an extra stop, but Uncle Lani's Poi Mochi at Ka Makana Ali'i in Kapolei is a close must have that rivals Leonard's Malasadas! Enjoy!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I am in the same boat - never been to Oahu before and food is my central pre-occupation! I have no experience, but I have a few suggestions that have come up in my research. Also, neither of these are in Haleiwa - both are further east on Kamehameha Hwy:

1) Ted's Bakery - near Sunset Beach
2) Da Bald Guy food truck - in Kahuku Sugar Mill (which also apparently has a much-less-busy Giovanni's shrimp truck)
Love these suggestions! Ted's Bakery sounds heavenly, I think it is a must try for me! I'm loving all the different shrimp options, maybe 1 plate at each :D

Full meal service will be few and far between up there. We like to grab a plate lunch off of a food truck and sit on the beach closer to Waimea. Uppers is a nice beach to sit and eat your lunch and depending on the time of year, watch some decent swells roll in. Chuns isn't bad at all either. Finding a spot to park is usually the biggest challenge and you may need to do the death run across the highway (only 2-lanes wide, so being a bit overly dramatic). You can do that before taking a trip up the valley to see the falls (and swim in them!) Past Waimea, Sunset Beach Park is also nice to stop and relax.

Thanks for the info, this was super helpful! I love the idea of letting the adventure take the wheel!

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Laie is a must. Not sure what Big Wave.
If you're going to Matsumoto's in Haleiwa, it makes sense to go to Pa'ala Kai Bakery for Snow Puffies. You'll be sweet toothed out and the Puffies would probably be better with your next morning Coffee! How far North will you be heading? May want to check out Waihole Poi Factory for some nice Hawaiian Food and of course, the Sweet Lady of Waihole dessert (Kulolo & Haupia Ice Cream). If you still have room for Malasadas, on your way back to Aulani, stop by the Leonard's Malasada Truck in Waikele or...you can take it home! Just pick up on the way to their Airport. Also, it's an extra stop, but Uncle Lani's Poi Mochi at Ka Makana Ali'i in Kapolei is a close must have that rivals Leonard's Malasadas! Enjoy!
Yes, to the snow puffies! I just looked them up, and I am 100% getting some! I didn't know about the Leonard's in Waikele, thanks for the tip!

7/11 musubis and bentos are awesome! Not as good as Japan. But compared to the mainland, it's like Michelin Star! 🤣
7/11 just made the list :D

Since I'm a DISer, I can say that "I've read" that you should skip the Dole Pineapple Plantation but stop by anyway to their kitschy gift shop, as it's a ton of fun.
You have to stop at least once. The gardens are actually quite pretty with all the pineapple varieties, and while the gift shop is a bit kitschy, you CAN get an OG Dole Whip...

Last edited:
Dole is a must-see at least once. I still go there on every trip for some whip, a wander around the gift shop, and the occasional train ride. The OG Dole Whip is the absolute best. You can also go to the Coffee Farm on the way too. I usually do a split stay between Aulani and either Waikiki or North Shore (depending on whether we have a car or not). Malasadas from Leonards on Kapahulu Ave is always on my list, but you need to go early because they sell out, and the line goes around the block. If you do happen to be in Waikiki at any point, the Macadamia Nut Wontons at Hula Grill at sunset are... perfection.

North shore is about the beaches. Bring a map, they are not big in signs. Waimea bay is stunning, Banzai Pipeline is the best place to watch world class surfers, it is at Euhaki beach park, sharks cove is great for snorkeling.

I found the Dole whip at the Dole plantation my favourite one on the island. I had many…lol

We didn’t make it to Ted’s Bakery but one of our tour guides said it was a must. They are known for their pies.

We did do the Da Bald Guy food truck because we saw them on Food Truck wars . It was good .

We tried to go to Leonard Bakery in Waikiki but there isn’t enough parking and long lines we passed but like others said their food trucks with no lines we went too. You can google to find one.

I'll say it once, and stand by it forever: There is NO better meal on the planet than a lunch truck loco moco ("two scoops rice", no macaroni, extra gravy) grabbed at the side of the road and eaten sitting on the beach somewhere.

Since I'm a DISer, I can say that "I've read" that you should skip the Dole Pineapple Plantation but stop by anyway to their kitschy gift shop, as it's a ton of fun.
Of course, I almost forgot about stopping by the Dole Plantation. I've never been, but I am looking forward to trying a Dole Whip there!

I am also planning an Aulani trip. I came across a YouTuber that is a local that you should checkout. His main focus seems to be food. HawaiianTraveler | Sean Kaleponi

The easiest place to try different foods is at 66-472 Kamehameha Hwy. It's a food truck lot that has one of the Giovanni's locations and a few others. I would also recommend Matsumoto's for shave ice. It's the most famous and crowded, but also the best in the two weeks I spent on the north shore. The last food recommendation is Sunrise Shack, for smoothie bowls and delicious iced coffee.

For things to see, I think Waimea Valley is worth the price of admission, and they do a great luau there. Kawela Bay Beach Park is a beautiful little bay. If you want a short hike, you can do the 'Ehukai Pillbox Trail. And for a longer hike, the Ka'ena Point Trail (which you can also access from close by Aulani).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter