• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nostalgic Epcot rides

BEANTOWNDR7

To Infinity and Beyond
Now this might take some people back some years but I was wondering if anyone remember some of the old rides at Epcot. Until recently, mid-2007, I hadn't returned to DW since 1986 (was living in AZ, was visiting DL alot) and when I was a kid, visiting EPCOT I use to remember a ride/show, in the area where SOARIN is now, with puppets of fruits & vegetables. My memory might be a little hazy but I swear I remember a ride/show like that. I still remember Fidget and he was much more popular back then.

Anybody remember any other rides. I'm in the mood to be nostalgic

Now this might take some people back some years but I was wondering if anyone remember some of the old rides at Epcot. Until recently, mid-2007, I hadn't returned to DW since 1986 (was living in AZ, was visiting DL alot) and when I was a kid, visiting EPCOT I use to remember a ride/show, in the area where SOARIN is now, with puppets of fruits & vegetables. My memory might be a little hazy but I swear I remember a ride/show like that. I still remember Fidget and he was much more popular back then.

Kitchen Kaberet?

I remember watching the ride vehicles moving upwards on World of Motion.

And I miss enterring World Showcase at 9:00 so that we could have breakfast at Boulangerie Pastrie in France.

I loved Kitchen Kaberet! I had all the stuffies when I was younger. It was a great attraction to sit and cool off from the hot summer sun.

I have photos riding the cars going up into World of Motion and photos of the mural from inside Horizons. I miss the smell of the orange groves from that ride!

I believe the fruit and veggie puppets you are talking about is the show "Food Rocks". They sang songs to Beach Boys music such as "Good Nutrition" (Good Vibrations). You can find videos of it on YouTube. And as for Figment, Disney has changed the ride a couple times. The original was the best by far IMO. Hope that helps! :)

I loved Kitchen Kaberet! I had all the stuffies when I was younger. It was a great attraction to sit and cool off from the hot summer sun.

I have photos riding the cars going up into World of Motion and photos of the mural from inside Horizons. I miss the smell of the orange groves from that ride!

Now you can smell the oranges on Soarin'!

Ohhhh I just realized that Food Rocks replaced Kitchen Kabaret in 1994. I just don't remember the other name because I was pretty young then.

We used to love that one building in Epcot that had the ride where you were in the boy's head as he went through his day (was it called Cranium?) and the ride where you went through the someone's body to retrieve a splinter or something (it was similar set up as the Stars Wars ride in DHS). We were so sad when we went back last year after a 5-year disney break and found out that building was closed!! They were oldies but goodies.

We used to love that one building in Epcot that had the ride where you were in the boy's head as he went through his day (was it called Cranium?) and the ride where you went through the someone's body to retrieve a splinter or something (it was similar set up as the Stars Wars ride in DHS). We were so sad when we went back last year after a 5-year disney break and found out that building was closed!! They were oldies but goodies.

Cranium Command! Loved that.

This is my favorite place for Epcot nostalgia:
http://www.lostepcot.com/index.html

Great website! And the other ride was called "Body Wars"...aww I wish they hadn't closed that place!

I have fond memories of Horizons (which I think was replaced by Mission Space?). The ORIGINAL Journey into Imagination Ride. (Why oh why did they change it?!) All the original songs/scores in the Future World Rides (Tomorrow's Child, Listen to the Land, and Universe of Energy). Does anyone else remember these songs? I also miss the intro video from The Living Seas.
I also realize it is more the nostalgia factor more than the rides/attractions themselves:)

Well, this isn't a ride necessarily, but the last time we were at Epcot we were on our honeymoon and fell in LOVE with the whole Tapestry of Nations Millennium celebration. The whole experience was truly magical. We bought the music CD and the promo video as well. I still, ten years later, get all emotional
(in a very good way) when we listen to the CD. As a matter of fact, it's going on our playlist for our ipods for our upcoming anniversary trip. LOL, we got headphone splitters so we could listen to the same playlist on the plane flying to Disney! 15 days and counting now:cool1:

I love the Tapestry of Nations CD! It truly brings tears to my eyes when I listen to it. Music is wonderful for bringing back memories! Have a great trip!

Well, this isn't a ride necessarily, but the last time we were at Epcot we were on our honeymoon and fell in LOVE with the whole Tapestry of Nations Millennium celebration. The whole experience was truly magical. We bought the music CD and the promo video as well. I still, ten years later, get all emotional
(in a very good way) when we listen to the CD. As a matter of fact, it's going on our playlist for our ipods for our upcoming anniversary trip. LOL, we got headphone splitters so we could listen to the same playlist on the plane flying to Disney! 15 days and counting now:cool1:

I love the Tapestry of Nations CD! It truly brings tears to my eyes when I listen to it. Music is wonderful for bringing back memories! Have a great trip!

:thumbsup2 Can't beat ToN - still have all the music on my iPhone! I have the video, too. I think it's the best fireworks/parade score they've ever done!

Thanks to this discussion, I have Veggie-Veggie Fruit-Fruit stuck in my head at this very moment. Even though I love Soarin' and Mission: Space, part of me does miss the Epcot from days past.

These should give you your fix of Epcot nostalgia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLez_BOl_bs
A little dark at first and not the best film quality, but I dare you to get the veggie/fruit song out of your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYoGfacCRM
I LOVED this song. From the original Universe of Energy attraction. I even had this on a cassette somewhere before we moved...and guess what got lost. :sad2: Thank God for YouTube, though. I wish Disney could throw this song into the updated version with Ellen & Bill Nye somehow. It still fits the theme of the attraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=476wBO73U0M
Our old friend Dreamfinder. He is missed. :sad1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIQmSI7Kcw
This song has, and always will be Epcot for us. The instrumental part toward the end still gives me goosebumps. This never should have left Spaceship Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MWTHsBkMQ
Ditto for this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUBxWlni1Dw
W.O.M. ride-thru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3TxLbX5rYM
The famous W.O.M. exterior spiral ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2VcQRMOM0
Scenes from the original classic Figment ride.

Note: These are not my videos. Just ones I like.

Another bit of old school history. I have an old park brochure somewhere from when it was called "Epcot 94". Does anyone else remember this?

This thread would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move this there now.

This awesome everyone, keep them coming if you have more memories of EPCOT; the only thing I really remember is Fidget and parts of World Showcase. This is great.

Thanks Karen for moving it, you are right about the location for this thread

I still miss the original Journey Into Imagination...I am still a little bit bitter when I ride through the new version...it just isn't nearly the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter