Not being able to wait in line for transport, does DAS work there?

DutchJoyce

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I am reading all the posts about DAS right now and I am wondering how WDW handles the non- rides lines.
My son has ASD and at Disneyland Paris they provide a pass that you can show the castmembers to avoid long lines at transport, stores and restaurants as well.
Can you use the DAS at WDW only for attraction lines?
So how do you handle the other lines?

Hi all,
I am reading all the posts about DAS right now and I am wondering how WDW handles the non- rides lines.
My son has ASD and at Disneyland Paris they provide a pass that you can show the castmembers to avoid long lines at transport, stores and restaurants as well.
Can you use the DAS at WDW only for attraction lines?
So how do you handle the other lines?
You can NOT use for transport, stores and restaurants.

Only for "attractions" with queues, like rides, shows, characters.

Transport we have to wait in lines so we choose to travel non-peak times. Stores there are no issues, if they are very crowded we avoid them otherwise we just wander in ones we have interest. Restaurants you can either make ADR so that you have an approximate seating time ready, mobile order QS so that you can arrive and get your food without a line OR eat at non-peak times when there are no lines.

At WDW there is no way to avoid all lines. You have to be prepared to wait even with DAS. Some rides even though you enter with DAS you still might wait 15-20 minutes after entering.

DAS is only for attractions.

This is how my family manages other waits:
  • Dining -- eat at the early-side of a typical meal time or even take advantage of "off" hours for meals (like 4pm dinner or 2pm lunch) for TS ADRs; similar at QS but you can also mobile-order now, and I really try to sort of "plan ahead" so that hangry doesn't hit while waiting in an attraction queue or on a ride -- because it will always be that much longer before we can get food.
  • Shopping -- we do very little in-park shopping; most shopping is on 1 day at DS or stopping at the resort gift shop when it isn't crowded
  • Transportation -- this is the biggest; we do deal with rope-drop one or two mornings but generally otherwise avoid the big crowds during opening/closing so the queues for transportation are shorter. Some families opt to drive so they have access to their own vehicle.
I will add that other than for transportation there isn't a lot of "lines" for the most part. Yes there may be waiting but it's not usually in a line or queue. And again for transportation the key is non-peak times of day.

Its only for attractions and not every attraction at that.

If you want fast transportation then I suggest not relying on Disney's.
For example rent a car or get a ride share.

Also there is nothing for stores and restaurants that I'm aware of.
Make dining reservations and mobile order for quick service.
Chose less peak times to go shopping such as right when the parks open so there are not as many people in the stores because most people will bypass them at park opening.

Thank you very much for all your great advice!
My son got his diagnose last year and we only have visited Disneyland Paris since and maybe we got a bit spoiled with the disability card they provide there.
We have been at WDW several times and always tried to avoid crowds in restaurants, stores etc, because that's how you learn to live with a child with ASD.
But there is nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses, especially at WDW (-:

My son got his diagnose last year and we only have visited Disneyland Paris ... we got a bit spoiled with the disability card they provide there
Different countries have different laws and/or approaches to accommodating for disabilities.

And by the way, WDW does not require a diagnosis but rather an explanation of need for accommodation. This can be very different in another country where diagnosis and medical documentation is required.

If an attraction/show/character doesn't have LL entrance, there is no DAS.
That's not exactly true. DAS can be used at pretty much any attraction with a posted standby wait time, regardless of whether there is a LL entrance or not. At attractions without a LL you may be directed to the exit or an alternative entrance. It cannot be used on attractions that only use a VQ system without first obtaining a VQ in the standard manner (but once a VQ is obtained the DAS can be used).

can you explain?
Off the top of my head some things that do not use DAS:
  • some character meet & greets
  • some shows and entertainment
  • Fireworks and parades do not technically use DAS though one may be allowed into areas reserved for wheelchair/ECVs
  • the Main Street vehicles
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • play and/or splash areas

Shops are quietest first thing in the morning. You will have to carry your purchases around with you though. Do not try shopping after the evening shows, it is chaos.

Do not head straight to the buses after evening shows. Try to give it at least half an hour before heading to the buses if you can. MK is the worst bus crunch after fireworks. DHS let the crowds out of the stadium first and be among the last to leave otherwise it is crowd crunch as you walk out of the theater.

Different countries have different laws and/or approaches to accommodating for disabilities.

And by the way, WDW does not require a diagnosis but rather an explanation of need for accommodation. This can be very different in another country where diagnosis and medical documentation is required.
You are totally right, in Paris you need medical documention to get the special pass. In several European countries medical insurance is mandatory so most people have medical documention.

Last edited:
If waiting for transportation is hard, maybe stay at a Skyliner resort? They have continuously loading gondolas (except during thunderstorms, high winds, etc) and if you avoid those peak times like opening and closing, you pretty much walk right on!

If waiting for transportation is hard, maybe stay at a Skyliner resort? They have continuously loading gondolas (except during thunderstorms, high winds, etc) and if you avoid those peak times like opening and closing, you pretty much walk right on!
We will be staying at Pop Century, not only because of the Skyliner, but because Art of Animation is near as well. Love the theming at both resorts.

You are totally right, in Paris you need medical documention to get the special pass. In several European countries medical insurance is mandatory so most people have medical documention.

Just so you are aware Disney does not want to know what the disability is they want to know what makes it difficult to impossible to wait in the standby queue so you will not to have that type of info ready.

Last edited:
I know the lines for the busses look long at the end of the night but I can tell you ( at lest pop century )the lines do move along quite fast as busses come right after each other at the MK then you have the skyliner for EPCOT and HS. I am never at AKat park closing so I do not know about that. I guess what I am saying is maybe staying at POP century for the coming and going part

Hey fellow Dutchie, never knew in Paris you can also avoid lines at transport, stores and restaurants. Does your son get the Easy Access Card or Priority Card?

If an attraction/show/character doesn't have LL entrance, there is no DAS.

Which rides don't have LL? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the People Mover but we were able to use DAS for it in January. They just checked our DAS return time and then had us "cancel" it on the app. Then they let us go straight up the ramp, avoiding the queue.

Which rides don't have LL? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the People Mover but we were able to use DAS for it in January. They just checked our DAS return time and then had us "cancel" it on the app. Then they let us go straight up the ramp, avoiding the queue.
astro orbitor and carrousel

DAS can be used just only for attractions. As far as restaurants go, it is best to make reservations or mobile order. DAS can be used for all attractions regardless of whether it has lightning lane or not. Lightning lane and DAS are two completely separate services. You can also purchase Genie Plus or individual lightning lane tickets and use DAS and lightning lane (Genie Plus), together, at the same time

I believe the only attractions DAS cannot be used for is if the attraction has a virtual queue since a virtual queue works similarly. Joining a virtual queue does not count against your one DAS return time at a time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter