Now CONFIRMED: Three New Orleans Square bands gone after Sept 4th

twm30

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to find out if this is true. On Saturday on my way out from DL I heard people talking about the fact that The Bayou Brass Band, River Rascals and The Side Street Strutters will all be let go on September 4th.

I didn't have time to ask any band members if this was true, I will try sometime this week if I get a chance to go in.

I really hope this is not true as I really like just listening to the various bands while I hang out in New Orleans Square. I just can't imagine New Orleans Square without live music. That would totally suck.

Has anyone else heard of this or talked to any of the band members about this?

Just a wild guess here, but could this be similar to what happened to the Dapper Dans earlier this year? (Old crew was canned, then replaced with newer, more intereactive Dans)

mk

(I am not a CM, I do not play one on TV, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm just naturally this smart. :teeth: --with credit to Tony, whose line I stole.)

Unfortunately, this one looks to be quite true (I don't know any of the band members, but I know people who do). Now I'm wondering who's going to be doing Fantasmic Preshow (was always either the River Rascals or the Side Street Strutters), or if there'll be one anymore. So long as the leave Frontierland entertainment alone, I'm ok. Anyway, it seems to be a middle management decision from what I've heard (anybody up for getting rid of middle management and keeping the entertainers?)

Maybe I'm way off base here - but perhaps with the addition of the pirate entertainers - it was getting too much in that same area - so they are keeping the pirates and letting the others go. Just a thought. pirate:

I was wondering if that meant they would not have entertainers in NOS in September while they audition new members? I hope that isn't the case!

And one more thing: I think I read that the Dapper Dans were able to audition for the new group; not sure if any did? (And not agreeing with the policy!) But perhaps some of the same entertainers will be back...

Watch out! There was a similar decision at WDW to get rid of the live marching band that had been playing on Main Street for years! They replaced the band (which was reminiscent of Robert Preston's The Music Man) with about 5 or 6 musicians who interact with the crowd. Definitely NOT the same feeling that you got when you walked into the town square and saw the red-jacketed brass band and the band leader strutting around with the baton. So much has been lost at the Magic Kingdom in WDW, due to the decisions of "upper management". I would hate to see the same thing happen at Disneyland--and I've only been there once. Once was all it took to get me hooked. Protest as loud as you can! Keep repeating the mantra: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Oh well it looks like it indeed is no longer a rumor, at the park today I asked a couple of members of the band and they confirmed that Sept 4 is thier last day. There is now only one band left in New Orleans Square. They confirmed that the three bands being fired are The Bayou Brass Band, Side Street Strutters and the River Rascals. How long have they been at Disneyland, I can't remember when they wearn't there

This is a real pisser, who can we complain to? Is there anyone we can email or call? I should have gone to City Hall but didn't think about it until now. What is New Orleans Square gonna be like now with almost no live music. Whos gonna play the music before Fantasmic starts?

That stinks that they would get rid of those bands! I've always liked the Bayou Brass Band. They're fun to watch and they know how to work the crowd. I've never seen or met anyone who doesn't love to get some free mardi gras necklaces. What a horrible decision to remove these bands! :(

That is such sad news!

When we were there last Christmas time, I spent an few hours sitting on the bench listening to them!

Glad I took the time!

At least I will have my memories!

j

Right now the entertainment for NOS is:
Royal Street Bachelors - 7 times a day
River Rascals and Side St. Strutters (different days) - 4 times each
The Bilge Rates and the Bootstrappers - 4 times daily

That is a lot of entertainment for such a small land. Perhaps Disney is looking at that and finding places to make changes where it seems there is a lot of overlap or duplication. And with the tone of NOS now being pirates - it makes sense to change the entertainment to a pirate theme

Change is not always bad

(anybody up for getting rid of middle management and keeping the entertainers?)

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

In '98 and '99 and well into 2000 NOS had over half a dozen live acts playing different sets and different locations on different days.
Over half a dozen!

And Adventureland still had 2 live acts on weekends.

The Firehouse Band and the Main St Merchants Association Brass Band were both let go a few weeks ago.

Now Disneyland is further terminating all of it's good live entertainment except for the Royal St. Bachelors, Disneyland Band and Billy Hill & the Hillbillies. (Dapper Dans were already gutted)

For anyone who likes or loves the New Orleans Square bands... Let Disneyland know how you feel. This is a lot of wonderful musicians losing their jobs ....and... Disneyland is losing some real magic.
Live music is the lifes blood of New Orleans Square.

The only NOS band DL is letting stay after this latest round of useless cost cutting firings is the Royal St Bachelors. Who perform in the tightest spot in NOS for a decent crowd to see a band. How long until Team Disney Anaheim decides they don't draw enough Guests and they too are let go. :confused3

For anyone who loves NOS and it's live jazz!
Please write DL and let the management know what Guests think.
NOS is already pretty quiet on some days... especially in the offseason.

New Orleans Square needs it's jazz and blues! :thumbsup2

Disneyland Resort
c/o Guest Relations
P.O. Box 3232
1313 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

Oh my gosh! DS loved Bayou Brass. He's majoring in Jazz, and really admired these guys. Fortunately he's got their CD. Hate to see them go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter