Oahu Dining Recommendations other than Aulani

J-Dog

A Nobody
We are in the early planning stages for our first Aulani (and first Hawaii) trip next year. Since I am a WDW veteran, I am obsessively planning - whether that is necessary or not.

Mostly, I am looking for specific dining reccs in Oahu other than Aulani or the Four Seasons. And other than Monkeypod and the stuff right in that area. I have heard about Helena's restaurant and about multiple luaus, but looking for other positive dining experiences on the island - maybe in the Waikiki area? North Shore?

We will have a car, so we are willing to drive anywhere on the island.

We are open to any kind of food, but everyone on the trip except me are not huge seafood fans (I have already explained to them that seafood is a Hawaiian staple, so they will just have to deal with it, because we are eating seafood :)).

We are open to any kind of food, but everyone on the trip except me are not huge seafood fans (I have already explained to them that seafood is a Hawaiian staple, so they will just have to deal with it, because we are eating seafood :)).
My DH eats ZERO seafood but he’s found plenty to eat on two trips now. So if they just want something else, they’ll probably have that option at most places.

I don’t really have any recommendations as we ate very casual on Oahu. But I’m a big Kona beer fan and I was pleasantly surprised with the food at the brewery at Koko marina. We also enjoyed Teddys burgers, and (being beef producers), we’re kinda burger snobs.

I know you're looking for specific locations, but I'd still emphasize exploring a little and finding some local places that you run across as you wander around the island. I'm glad you have a car and are already planning on hitting the North Shore. There are some nice places up in Haleiwa. I'd also suggest a trip over to the windward side of the island (or, once you're up on the North Shore, just continue around past Turtle Bay and down the windward side). Too many people equate Oahu with Honolulu, but 20 minutes outside the city, the island takes on a whole new personality with waterfalls, rain forests, majestic mountains, and fantastic local beaches.

As to cuisine, while HI does have a ton of seafood, pulled pork, Portuguese sausage, and spam dishes are also quite prevalent, and there are a ton of great burgers to be found. Find a lunch truck at the side of the road and grab a traditional "plate lunch". You won't regret it. If you don't want macaroni salad, just make sure you tell them "two scoops rice"! Some of the best meals I've ever had were sitting on a picnic bench at the side of the road on Oahu. If you do head into Honolulu and Waikiki, there are some great local spots along Kapahulu Ave. Kapahulu starts at the very south end of Waikiki, where Kalakaua Ave. (the Waikiki main drag) ends at the zoo, and runs inland. Try Ono Hawaiian Food or Ono Seafood.

My DH eats ZERO seafood but he’s found plenty to eat on two trips now. So if they just want something else, they’ll probably have that option at most places.

I don’t really have any recommendations as we ate very casual on Oahu. But I’m a big Kona beer fan and I was pleasantly surprised with the food at the brewery at Koko marina. We also enjoyed Teddys burgers, and (being beef producers), we’re kinda burger snobs.
Thanks! By looking at many menus, it looks like seafood is prevalent, but it's good to hear that it's not essential to eat it. BTW, you are beef producers? Thanks for what you do - I'm a large animal vet.
I know you're looking for specific locations, but I'd still emphasize exploring a little and finding some local places that you run across as you wander around the island. I'm glad you have a car and are already planning on hitting the North Shore. There are some nice places up in Haleiwa. I'd also suggest a trip over to the windward side of the island (or, once you're up on the North Shore, just continue around past Turtle Bay and down the windward side). Too many people equate Oahu with Honolulu, but 20 minutes outside the city, the island takes on a whole new personality with waterfalls, rain forests, majestic mountains, and fantastic local beaches.

As to cuisine, while HI does have a ton of seafood, pulled pork, Portuguese sausage, and spam dishes are also quite prevalent, and there are a ton of great burgers to be found. Find a lunch truck at the side of the road and grab a traditional "plate lunch". You won't regret it. If you don't want macaroni salad, just make sure you tell them "two scoops rice"! Some of the best meals I've ever had were sitting on a picnic bench at the side of the road on Oahu. If you do head into Honolulu and Waikiki, there are some great local spots along Kapahulu Ave. Kapahulu starts at the very south end of Waikiki, where Kalakaua Ave. (the Waikiki main drag) ends at the zoo, and runs inland. Try Ono Hawaiian Food or Ono Seafood.
Thanks for the advice! Since we typically go to WDW yearly, it's difficult to plan a vacation that way, but we do plan to do that somewhat. Will definitely try to hit a few food trucks, too. But will probably still make a couple of reservations for nice restaurants.

Thanks for the advice! Since we typically go to WDW yearly, it's difficult to plan a vacation that way, but we do plan to do that somewhat. Will definitely try to hit a few food trucks, too. But will probably still make a couple of reservations for nice restaurants.
That's the beauty of Hawaii: do a ton of stuff, or do nothing at all. On a "regular" trip (not Aulani), we don't make any plans at all. Zero, none. For Aulani, I'd only make plans on days I'm staying at or close to the resort, since Ko Olina is kinda off by itself doesn't have a ton of stuff immediately around it. Maybe a ressie one night in Waikiki (Dukes, Stripsteak Waikiki, maybe), but that's it.

Don't forget you're in the land of kalua pork ;) .

Last edited:
I also don't eat seafood, here's some places I thought were good, mostly in Waikiki:

Sweet E's Cafe - delicious breakfast (Waikiki)

Leonard's Bakery - malasadas (Portuguese donuts), go to trucks around island if line is too long

Tonkatsu Tamafuji (Waikiki) - panko crusted pork and chicken

Rainbow Drive Inn - Hawaiian fast food (Waikiki)

Marugame Udon - good udon and tempura, long line (Waikiki)

Maui Mike's - fast food chicken (when you go to Dole Plantation)

Haleiwa Beach House (dinner Friday to Sunday) was really good, lots of non-seafood options

Ted's Bakery (North Shore area) - amazing bakery, also has full meal options

Adela’s Country Eatery in Kaneohe - didn't make it here but had good reviews

We went to Hawaii back in September and stayed in Waikiki. A few places I recommend are cheese burger in paradise, eggs n things was so good for breakfast, OMG (oahu Mexican grill), island vintage shaved ice, and blue ocean seafood and steak.

Leonard's Bakery - malasadas (Portuguese donuts), go to trucks around island if line is too long

I'd add a vote for both of these as well. Leonard's is also on Kapahulu.

I also don't eat seafood, here's some places I thought were good, mostly in Waikiki:

Sweet E's Cafe - delicious breakfast (Waikiki)

Tonkatsu Tamafuji (Waikiki) - panko crusted pork and chicken

Rainbow Drive Inn - Hawaiian fast food (Waikiki)

Maui Mike's - fast food chicken (when you go to Dole Plantation)

Haleiwa Beach House (dinner Friday to Sunday) was really good, lots of non-seafood options

Ted's Bakery (North Shore area) - amazing bakery, also has full meal options

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I'm looking for!

We went to Hawaii back in September and stayed in Waikiki. A few places I recommend are cheese burger in paradise, eggs n things was so good for breakfast, OMG (oahu Mexican grill), island vintage shaved ice, and blue ocean seafood and steak.
Cheeseburger in Paradise is great if you're staying in Waikiki, but I don't think I'd drive all the way over from Ko Olina for it. It can get packed too. Lots of tour groups include it in the packages. Definitely a robust traditional American breakfast.

The oxtail ramen at Ramen Nakamura in Waikiki is amazing. It is a small place and usually has a line but well worth the wait. I crave that stuff. We had a lovely dinner at Haleiwa Joe's in Kaneohe, and you can't beat the view. Tons of yummy food trucks in the North Shore also. And don't forget to stop at a fruit stand. We like Kuilima Farm at Turtle Bay. The fruit is amazing and they had some fruits that I could not get at home. Plus it is right across the street from a huge banyan tree that is worth walking to and checking out.

I fell in love with their Nikutama and Curry Nikutama so hard we ate there three nights in a row (our hotel was close by). I still miss it. (The line moves fast)

Kona Coffee in Waikiki also has some amazing Kouign-amann.

Uncle Clay’s House of Pure Aloha makes their own shave ice syrups from fruit, no artificial colors or flavors. Really yummy.

If you’re on the Windward side at all, Yoonyson Korean BBQ is a tiny dive counter service place with excellent meat jun, potato salad, and great regular (cabbage) and cucumber kimchee.

At Leonard’s, we have tried every flavor and universally prefer the non filled ones, with cinammon sugar as the favorite. (Line also moves fast at main location, but there’s food trucks, too).

Magnolia Ice Cream and Treats in the International Market Place in Waikiki has excellent ube ice cream and try the halo halo

I fell in love with their Nikutama and Curry Nikutama so hard we ate there three nights in a row (our hotel was close by). I still miss it. (The line moves fast)

Uncle Clay’s House of Pure Aloha makes their own shave ice syrups from fruit, no artificial colors or flavors. Really yummy.

If you’re on the Windward side at all, Yoonyson Korean BBQ is a tiny dive counter service place with excellent meat jun, potato salad, and great regular (cabbage) and cucumber kimchee.

At Leonard’s, we have tried every flavor and universally prefer the non filled ones, with cinammon sugar as the favorite. (Line also moves fast at main location, but there’s food trucks, too).

Magnolia Ice Cream and Treats in the International Market Place in Waikiki has excellent ube ice cream and try the halo halo
The best places are always the mom and pop places. So many stick to the chain restaurants and they miss out on some really amazing, and very reasonably priced foods.

https://www.konosnorthshore.com/
Also we really like Kono’s and there’s a few locations - we liked the Chun’s bomber, sprout bagel, and Big Pig Quesadilla.

Moke’s Bread and Breakfast (two locations) - their lilikoi pancakes are SO good!

As we all have said, the best places are walk up, mom and pop spots that don’t take reservations (and may not even have any tables or chairs, lol). To really get the most out of the island mindset, you have to approach it almost opposite to a WDW trip.

“What are your plans for today?”
“Today, we’re turning left at the stop sign. Yesterday, we turned right.”

We love the Japanese food on Oahu, such as Tanaka Ramen (Kapolei), Marugame Udon (Waikiki), and Curry House CoCo Ichibanya (Kapolei). These restaurants are delicious, casual, and inexpensive.

I also liked Uncle Clays if you're near that part of Honolulu. Ordinary Adventures does excellent videos on the food in Oahu.

Here are some places we hit all over Oahu when we were there in April. Some are small local places and some are more well know:

- Merriman’s is in Honolulu and is a good spot for a nice dinner. Maybe the best macadamia crusted fish I have ever had.
- Waiahole Poi Factory is out by Kualoa ranch and is a tiny locals spot. Their pork was unreal. I would eat there at least once a week if I lived on Oahu.
- Duke’s is a tourist spot in Honolulu, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t good. Their nachos were really good…and the views were great.
- Blue Water Shrimp and Seafood is in Waikiki and is delicious. The line was constantly long, which is a good sign. It was seriously good food. And it wasn’t too expensive. You can call ahead and order.
- Ono Seafood is in Honolulu and has the best poke anywhere. It’s a tiny spot and worth the visit. It only has a few tables outside.
- Leonard’s is a couple blocks from Ono and is know for their malasadas. They were tasty.
- Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck on the north shore was pretty good. Although I regret not getting poke from another food truck.
- I know it sounds crazy, but hit Foodland Farms (an absolutely incredible grocery store) to get poke. It’s a good place to get groceries before you check into Aulani. We ended up hitting a regular Foodland (not Farms) also and was told by an Aulani cast member that the locals get their poke from there. It’s really good.

I didn’t add the places across from Aulani because you asked not to include those, but Mekiko was good. And Eggs N Things was a great spot for breakfast…we got it to go and ate it by the pool.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter