Oahu Itinerary and Trip Report (June 15-29)

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
Our Hawaii trip begins soon! Less than 48 hours to be exact! I’m super excited to be going back. I began thinking about taking my adult kids to Hawaii in January of 2022. My kids have never been (despite being born and raised in CA).

It’s hard to coordinate their schedules. One works in the DC for a digital media firm and they do a lot of politics, so we have to work around elections. One works in aerospace, so we have to work around launches. The third works for a hospital and there are rules around vacations around holidays and how you request time off. We ended up with the third week in June, as one child gets off Juneteenth so it’s one less vacation day. This date also worked for my other kids and their work schedules. Our plan is to fly Saturday June 17 to Sunday June 25.

My husband really wanted to stay at Aulani. We stayed in April 2022 (just dh and I) but when I looked at booking, we were looking at just under $700 per night for one room, or with tax, about $5700 for one room with tax for the week.. We need 2 rooms, plus a third adult in a room ($100 per night) or a third room, plus parking ($37 per night). So basically about $12,500.

I also looked at a 2 bedroom villa, but there weren’t any available.

Another issue is that my daughter's boyfriend may come, but he is finishing his Ph.D and won’t know if he can come until he matches for his clinicals, which we won’t know until February. If he comes we will need a third room, which also adds to the expense.

Given that we will want to do some fun (and sometimes pricey) stuff and my very particular family also wants to eat and drink, Aulani (sadly) was out of our budget! I looked at hotels, especially Marriotts (because I am Titanium Elite) but with three rooms and resort fees, they were also going to be expensive. So I began looking on VRBO. I am not typically a fan of home rentals (especially AirBnB) because I have heard of so many horror stories. But, I found a 3 bedroom condo (which is hard to find, most are 2 bedroom), with ocean views, air conditioning, a lanai, washer & dryer and a 5 minute walk to Waikiki beach. The unit is owned by a premier host and his excellent reviews go back 8 years. It is also 100% refundable up to two weeks before you travel. Even better (for me), it has a Lahaina Shave Ice in the lobby of the condo! (247 Beach Walk, Honolulu 96815). Cost wise, it’s a significant bargain (well, for Hawaii) and with all taxes and fees, comes to $4500 for the week.

I know I’ve talked a lot about hotel budgets, which is kind of boring, but I hope the information will be helpful. And I realize this is an Aulani message board, and we’re not staying there (just doing a visit for a meal), but hopefully the remaining information will be helpful to all.

I booked airfare for all of us in October. While I got fairly reasonable flights for our two kids in the Bay Area, the flights from the DC were crazy. And dh and I are flying first class (yes, we are spoiling ourselves in our retirement). We ended up changing our days a little bit, so the kids fly home Saturday instead of Sunday. Not really because of the fares (although it helps), but because with the time change, they’d get in late and have to go to work the next morning. And for ds in the DC area, he is now leaving Friday night at 9pm, and getting home Saturday evening. We also decided to add extra days to our trip for dh and myself.

I should add, at this point, that my kids are all very different: very different politically, personality, interests, eating and activity level……you name it. They’re all good kids, just very different. It makes me so sad that they haven’t been really close (like they were when they were little), but at least now they are mature enough to be around each other and not be obnoxious and do seem to be working to build relationships with each other. So that makes me super happy and I am excited for this trip. This is the first time in a long long time we have all been together, in the same house, doing the same things, for more than a weekend, in many years.

So, I am doing a couple of things to make our trip go smoother. I have sent two google forms. One was for what to do while in Hawaii and the other for food and meals for the condo and where to go out to eat.

I asked for input on a variety of activities, essentially asking “do you want to do this?”. Choices for answers included, “yes”, “no” and “not really, but I’m okay and will go along if others want to do it”.

I was actually surprised that all wanted to see all the museums around Pearl Harbor and on Ford Island. No interest in a luau or evening booze cruise, but yes to seeing Iolani Palace and Kualoa Ranch. It was easy to plan once I had this information.

I then looked at restaurants we could walk to from our condo or were near places we planned to go. I sent the form with a link to the menu so everyone could review before we go. That way, I already have restaurants that would work for my vegetarian daughter, my picky meat eater son, and me (picky but in a different way). I didn’t want to spend vacation time trying to find a place everyone would like.

Finally, I have planned for a few meals from Costco that we can eat at the condo and asked for input for that as well. I also got input on what everyone wanted for breakfast and lunch. We’ll do these from the condo. (I am packing two foldable coolers to take with us for lunches).

We ended up with some changes…..dd and her boyfriend broke up (we were kind of expecting an engagement, so this was a big surprise) and then the youngest ds ended up needing to change his flight on the way home. All of this got settled and now we are leaving in 36 hours.

Our itinerary is as follows:
Thursday June 15: dh and I fly to Oahu. We’ll probably head to the beach for a while and we love the beachside bar at the Ala Moana, so that’s what we’ll likely do.
Friday June 16: dh has wanted to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center. We may go here or may see the Queen Emma summer palace and bishop museum. Since we need to buy tickets ahead of time, we really need to decide soon! (Dh wanted to go to the PCC, but when he found out the cost, kind of gulped. I really don’t care at all about seeing it, but am happy to go if dh wants to do it).
Saturday June 17: dh and I will get up and pick up two of our kids at 10:30 (assuming the flights are on time). We’ll run out to Costco and then Safeway and then check into the condo (we can get in at noon). No plans yet for the afternoon…..probably head to the beach. Our oldest son arrives about 8pm so we’ll run and pick him up
Sunday June 18: beach day, and then drive out for dinner at Aulani. I didn’t want to plan anything big for this day in case of flight delays. We will pack lunch for the beach.
Monday June 19: Pearl Harbor. Dinner will be from Costco. Lunch….I’m not sure. We will drive our car to Pearl Harbor, so I do plan on bringing water and lunch stuff, but not sure how easy it will be to do.
Tuesday June 20: Walking around Waikiki and then two kids are going to Coral Crater. Third child will stay with dh and I and go to Kawaiaha’o Church and Iolani Palace. Dinner tonight will also be at the condo. Early lunch at the condo before we leave for the afternoon.
Wednesday June 21:Kualoa Ranch (Jurassic Park tour and Secret Island in the afternoon). Dinner will be at the Kahuku Sugar Mill (food trucks). We can bring lunch here, so we will eat between tours or at the beach.
Thursday June 22: Two kids are hiking Diamond Head early. The rest of the day will be a beach day. Dinner will be pizza from a local place at the condo. Lunch will be packed from the condo.
Friday June 23: no plans yet. Maybe another beach day? Two kids fly out about 8:45pm. Dinner will likely be leftovers.
Saturday June 24: pack up and leave the condo. Third child departs around 1:30 and dh and I fly to Maui not long after. Check into Sheraton Maui and walk around Whalers Village.
Sunday June 25: dh and I have reserved loungers. The area looks to be just between the beach and the pool, so we have easy access to both, It was $60 for two loungers for the day,
Monday June 26: we are going to Lahaina and meeting friends of dh to do something (no plans yet). We’ll probably walk around Lahaina. I do want to go to Fleetwoods, so I am hoping
Tuesday June 27: We rented loungers again today.
Wednesday June 28: Once again rented loungers. One evening during the week we’ll probably go to the Warren and Annabelle show. My husband loves magicians.
Thursday June 29: fly home (boo hoo).

I would be happy to answer questions if I can, once we arrive in Hawaii.

Friday
Our flight to Oahu was uneventful (the best kind). We flew first class on Alaskan Airlines and had some of the best service we ever have had.
We landed around 1pm, got our car from Budget (I kept checking prices on Costco Travel and almost halved our rental cost) and drove to the Sheraton Princess Kuailani hotel. It’s not on the beach, but across the street from the Ala Moana hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel if you want to stay in Waikiki a few days and do lots of sightseeing before checking into Aulani. The price is reasonable (well for Oahu) and there is lots nearby.
We walked over to the Royal Hawaiian hotel for a drink at the Mai Tai bar. The plan was a drink here and then a light dinner at the Ala Moana Beach bar. We had the drinks and truffle fries, which were outstanding and a huge portion. Lots of pigeons around (although they look different than the pigeons at home-here they were smaller and had brownish markings not gray). We saw a pigeon lay an egg right next to the tee across from our table. We watched as other birds came near and even this pigeon pecking at the egg….we called it our dinner show!
We did not walk over to the Ala Moana because we were so full from the fries and I was getting tired.
We stopped at the concierge and booked surfing lessons for two of our kids in Sunday and then went to the room to change into swim suits and enjoyed some pool time. When the pool closed it was up to the room and a really, really early bedtime.

Have a great trip!
No snorkeling in Maui? Think we snorkeled 5 of the 7 days we were there lol.
We acquired a free 1 bedroom condo in Waikiki during pandemic. Only been once so far but we love it-plan on going every two years (banking our off year) so we can go for 2 weeks -it’s a long flight from anywhere not on the west coast.

Hope the kids all arrive in time and without stress!

Friday
I woke up early (not surprisingly) and was able to doze off until 7am. Dh and I got up leisurely and went for breakfast at Kai Fresh which is right next to the hotel. They sell a croissant waffle and it was good.

_Gzm2DUb04JYs4ykS4pBsU5oXJnq8esRiy4Hj-wLCAMUkkabHjvw2qXLVkZfmoaFVKiH23VvgnR1U1zbxKYdRMDFWpiGtksafQKu6XXRPpCcGXVeU-soHxxNa4pzAgk2yZmCCO9w-5u-O7fAeqmOo2Y

Cost for breakfast with two lattes and the waffle was $20 with tip.

We left about 9:15 to head out to the Polynesian Cuktural Center, stopping in Haleiwa along the way.

We stopped at Matsumotos for shave ice. The last time we stopped, the line was so crazy we went to Aoki’s. Matsumoto’s was good, absolutely, but honestly, I thought Aoki’s was better.

haUh_5SEhtuu4G-Mf9QUzTRcbLg46dgS2LXdCry4Hz6wOrQYv-p3AFhZcw6OYITct8U5QARjg7DHomGk-ttE_re3UxlFtdjUNZFzJv-EdWNwZGwfyRTLtS9uCHro4DRpAmudlZ_A4EHCzHrU0Vm98bE

We made it to the Polynesian Cultural Center. We ended up eating at the restaurant there. I had the Waldorf salad and dh, a special (cheesesteak sandwich).

I know there are mixed feelings about the PCC. Neither dh or I have ever been. We bought the ticket that was just the villages, not including the show. I should add, dh wanted to go here. I wasn’t against it, I just really had no interest. I will admit, I was very impressed. There were so many young people and it was so interesting hearing where they were from and what they were doing. The shows were excellent. We went to one where they made coconut oil that was really interesting and another with wonderful drumming.

We left about 5:30 and headed back and then went across to the Moana Surfrider beach bar. The locations s view is so nice. Getting a table was a challenge, but we ended up with one the closest to the beach. Headed to the room after dinner and relaxed with a book.

Last edited:
Have a great trip!
No snorkeling in Maui? Think we snorkeled 5 of the 7 days we were there lol.
We acquired a free 1 bedroom condo in Waikiki during pandemic. Only been once so far but we love it-plan on going every two years (banking our off year) so we can go for 2 weeks -it’s a long flight from anywhere not on the west coast.

Hope the kids all arrive in time and without stress!

Our booked loungers (as far as we can tell) are situated right where the pool ends and the beach begins. We plan to snorkel a bit at black rock (which is right by the Sheraton) and we did bring our snorkeling equipment.

Saturday
I woke up a little before 7 to the phone call of a spammer. We got up, checked out of the Sheraton and were at Costco by 9.
As an aside, I forgot to mention on Thursday that the Sheraton Princess offers a choice for elite members (I’m titanium elite, not sure what level it begins at). You can choose a welcome bag of local snacks or coffee, fruit and pastry for 2 each day. We chose the treat bag, since we figured we’d do other things for breakfast.

XiyNu_yA81G2mcBrD6pVRY0I5qOM80d5zMuMnCBFz-LoJ79F0fReHmNJyc4e_4FSJa5Z23SBg4xYynVmuKK7tPLx0jP0Ys2Cj0jQHu7D2SnNROXARH2SmjdEiO0NF0yZpjYjYykplI8CyhSphte2Joo

This is the bag:

WsKtT3XC_6nrsaN3pAulKyEq4iNR8e6e9vtO_fNeyYxLsarBZ5q8Flg_iIantkaIeII1xa4qb9ITFUcY9sTNTztKpYKxX883YTj-UbWppCL7z4CWu61x_gZVoI_W81W6Hi78M87nON9IJJ9S6S5cRBE

goQywe1WKdh4fEe7djxvLRQEzN14JfSBg-7ZpptZ1niBKMNqtXjFesMPlovjTf3XYNYsc_j4ucSET3wJDYw6cfbCwBWQ7b1yaqlo5Ihzrn76KdJ9C7wsZ2t6nwZO9T4hDAzVEM9846TtJud86GLs7sg

The bag will be great for traveling, as it holds more than a lunch box size but isn’t huge. It lays flat. It will be perfect when dh and I want to keep a few things cold, but we don’t need a “real” cooler.

Anyway, we shopped at Costco. We bought a beach umbrella on sale for $20 and the ready to bake/make Mac and cheese and street tacos. Then some beer, bottled water, a few local treats (macadamia nut shortbread and toffee chocolate macadamia nuts) and a couple other small items. We spent $185 here

We then went to Safeway for some smaller misc items. Like sour cream and guacamole for the street tacos, and grilled chicken and green onions for the max and cheese. And the breakfast and lunch stuff we needed. We spent $130 here. I also brought a carry on size roller with non perishables (primarily snacks and some items like the rice for cilantro rice for taco night and French fried onions for max and cheese.

By the time we had everything in the condo it was time to pick up kids #2 and 3 from the airport. We made it back to the condo and had some lunch and tried to get the Wi-Fi up and running because ds wanted us to play a trivia game on some kind of gaming platform called

My suggestion was I text the owner and ask him how to fix the Wi-Fi. Of course, my husband and son said no and tried to get it figured out themselves. It took them awhile, but they did, in fact, get the Wi-Fi fixed and working.

After lunch we left the condo to figure out the best way to the beach (when we weren’t landed down with stuff). It’s a really easy walk….maybe 5 minutes. We are on the far end and the beach area isn’t as large. On the other hand, it was also way less crowded! We walked down to Hilton Hawaiian Village and then over to the Waikiki Brewing Company. We had a drink at the bar and then continued back to the condo. I finished unpacking and organizing food.

We left about 6 to make one more grocery store stop and then head to the airport to pick ip child #1. Our timing was almost perfect….we left the condo, stopped at Safeway and we’re at the airport and picking up son #1 with him maybe waiting 5 minutes tops.

We drove to Growlers, which is closer the zoo and Diamondhead, but really only 2 miles from the condo. It has an extensive beer on tap menu and a few options for our vegetarian child. We were able to be in and out fast and when we were home at 8:30, it was nice for child #1 as it was really 2:30 for him. Child #2 also was in bed quickly while child #3 was playing a video game (sigh). I finished the report for this day and was going to read a bit before bed. When I travel, I know plan to read (or reread) a book series. I borrow the books from the library and then turn off the Wi-Fi on my Kindle. That way, even if the loan expires, I don’t lose the book from my library (on the kindle). For this trip, I have the old mystery series by Katharine Hall Page, which are the Faith Fairchild mysteries. I also have the Mrs. Pollifax mysetery series by Dorothy Gilman. I also have a couple of history books….one about the friendship between Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt and Susan, Linda, Nina and Cokie: the extraordinary story of the Founding Mothers of NPR. I plan to enjoy reading in the beach!

I love your reading list! Mrs. Pollifax is an old friend. Have you ever read anything by Charlotte Macleod? Highly recommended!

I love your reading list! Mrs. Pollifax is an old friend. Have you ever read anything by Charlotte Macleod? Highly recommended!
I have, but back in my 20’s. I’ll add her name to my reading list of old favorites!

Sunday
We woke up to a text today from my mom (who is house siting). She received a grocery delivery that was not ours. She went and checked with neighbors, but either it wasn’t there’s or they weren’t home. So she put it in the fridge and we’ll see what happens!

I walked out to the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach resort. This is where there is a walkway to the beach. From the VRBO condo we’re staying, it’s exactly a 5 minute walk (and I’m a 61 year old with bad knees). We went a set of 2 loungers and umbrella for an early bid special of $30 for 6 hours. Works perfect for us today since we will be going to Aulani later today.

Kid #1 is still exhausted from his long day traveling (he was up at 5am east cost time and arrived at 7pm Hawaii time, so 20 hours of travel). Kids #2 and 3 left to explore a bit.

There are surfing lessons here. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize and booked my kids for lessons down in front of the Kaimana Beach hotel. I offered an Uber but they declined and want to walk (about 1.5 miles)

We went into the water and yikes….totally rocky bottom. Not what I want in a beach at all. But since two kids are leaving for surf lessons and we’ll only be here until 2, we’re staying out today. The kids and I decided to brave the water anyway. Kid 1 gave up quickly. I found a place where I could kind of bend and crouch a little and be in the water and read on my phone (I prefer my kindle but don’t have a waterproof bag/guess I’m hitting ABC store tonight). Kids 2 and 3 went out really far (although not deep) and let the waves move them down the beach.

Kids 2 and 3 came back after swimming/floating past the hotel and all the way to the Hilton Hawaain Village. Ds got hit by a wave and into rocks.

IMG_5046.jpeg

We put some ointment on it and they took off for surfing.

I discovered that with the tide coming in this area was much better, as it got deep enough not that far out to keep my feet off the bottom and float. So I basically hung out in the water, floating and bobbing in the waves. Pure Heaven!

We packed up about 2 and met kids 2 and 3 at the elevator of our building. Kid 2 got up on the surfboard but fell pretty fast, so didn’t “surf”. Child 3 actually surged twice! We may book a second time for them on our last beach days.

We showered and cleaned up to drive out to Aulani. We valet parked and walked around the pool area and looked at the beach. We hit the shops and admired items, but no purchases. The lazy River float Mickey ears are so cute, but do I really need $40 ears when I’m actively trying to reduce the “stuff” we have?

We got in line for the Olelo room which was not crowded at all. We had a nice dinner, basically enjoying drinks and appetizers. Dh used a Disney Visa card to pay for the meal, so we were a little indulgent. (Dh has had a Disney visa for years but we just don’t “do Disney” much anymore. Maybe if we had grandchildren??

We drove back to our condo and told the kids they had to be ready at 7:30 on Monday to head out to Pearl Harbor. Since it was already after 8 most of us retired to our rooms to relax and go to bed early. Between the sun and activity we were tired! I also feel that since most of us live alone (the kids each do and it’s just dh and I at home), it’s a lot of togetherness for 16 hours a day. So I like to give them a little alone time. Dh watched a little tv and I read and we had the lights turned off at 9:30.

Thanks so much for the detailed report! I'm currently contemplating a trip to Aulani. Your info helps a ton!

Monday
We were up early today as we had 8:45 tickets for the Arizona Memorial.
I got up, packed a lunch and we were out the door at 7:30.
I was last at Pearl Harbor in April 2022. Covid testing was still required to enter Hawaii. Let me tell you, it was packed! There were people everywhere. The NPS has it very well organized. We went to the actual park service museum and then the boat out to the Memorial. I was appreciative that everyone on our boat followed the instructions to be respectful and not use cell phones except to take pictures.

hZUr57IQK15s1_fDkA_ChE7Supx6uSv1ab9D1qI0IwoECKCe4szw1C8jXRkC6iMhOBIXgyleoSf0tEfjHwweUjtt5SZ4vcdJnJKSXRkC2s8VaxqtGU4ExsnZO5nQpfen5ONhSgQGhjtVrL9J62_K9Ow

One thing I didn’t realize but learned today: there was a father-son on the Arizona and 75 siblings including multiple sets of twins and two triplets. Most of these siblings did not survive.

We then took the bus to Ford Island. You can purchase a multi-museum ticket for all the museums (except the Arizona) and get a discount. I’m glad I didn’t do that. We went to see the Battleship Missouri and after that everyone was “museumed out”. So instead of going next to the Aviation museum or the submarine museum, we took the shuttle back, had our lunch and drove home.

The Battleship Missouri played a significant role in WWII, as it was the site of the signing of the unconditional surrender by Japan, thus ending the war. Harry Truman specifically chose the Missouri, as his daughter had christened it when he was senator from Missouri and at the time of the surrender, he was President (from Missouri). Harry Truman is a hero of mine and in many ways, was a very selfless and humble man. It is kind of nice to see a small personal agenda in this choice-in my mind it shows his humanity (he’s not just an icon to be revered).

weT4AVmpeavNadOMgS8eFwh4OBQEcZimSpdQMsLuJRQ92pL14igsgLL3GW_MNzu4LNswpuprGqjp46JM4x-GMNlkb6GbXKTCQL03y7-CoYSGxndLQrKQyGMhCtJIuhH2kuaYIYyEMUf21gpBw17aDpM

JYzE7zbXdykAhgFiFKTFR_nkITSmL_zLkpl1s96CFk29Z4mfuXhFAqKWkDp-8R8n-cfBuOAlfMGL_mtE8-tvTuLhoi-D3HIn_6Ps52uj_NeU7Dg8hfCaTMv6atTRxqtBFHdLHXW-AtsT8ItSIkt1oAg

The Missouri and the Arizona are positioned so that they are essentially bow to bow, signifying the beginning and end of WWII.

0Djm-kwCLUh80cv8SySBnTdNh2yz-lDCOkq3PXGZ6m1XBSAcMa-6X7bjrf8mj6ilpMyOKlJav3Mjl-axKy1495XbcXSFc7hXpN3GDz_Jj8mdiL7ujBuhqikmAeQA3SNqqISMLBr_c96y3rutCBk_aRY

Anyway, a museum passport is $90 (plus service fee so really almost $97) per person. The Missouri is $35, the submarine $22, the aviation museum $26 and the audio tour for Pearl Harbor $10. So you do save a little but not much. And in our case, it was $180 (tickets plus tax if some kind). So I am grateful I didn’t buy the full passport (which would have been $485).

Anyway, we went back to the condo. I thought the kids might go to a local brewery or walk the beach or around downtown, but they all stayed here. Child 2 sunburned her legs and didn’t feel up to walking around. I read a little and napped a bit on our lovely lanai and then got up to make dinner, I bought the Costco street taco dinner and made refried beans and cilantro rice. Child 2 ordered a kind of sunburn gel and some mochi (7 individual mochi). Well, instead of 7 individual mochi she ended up with 7 boxes of mochi! We laughed about it and will be enjoying them the rest of the week. We played a round of Skipbo (a game we like) and then Left Right Center. After family games the boys started playing some kind of online game. Dh streamed the series we’ve been watching on Acorn (Murdoch), which ended our evening.

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

How was traffic getting to Pearl Harbor for your 8:45am reservation? Our tickets are for the same time and I was debating leaving Aulani at 7am, or maybe closer to 7:30am. Thanks!

Tuesday
We had a more leisurely morning today, which is nice, since Wednesday will be an early day.
At about 9, we walked out towards the Sheraton Waikiki. We walked along the beach and then the main drag next to the beach. It wasn’t so hot yet, so it was nice. We made it to the Kuhio Beach park. On the way back, we walked on the other side of the street and popped into a few shops. There was an outdoor mall and we walked through it and stopped at Kai Coffee and had a real Kona coffee. SO much better than the coffee we were making in the condo!

7q6Uym0-rVBVQQZi6IV-m5GWm90_gRZULP9mim6MdhmE07ePQ6K6U45fMALAN9rZv_wdE5ewz29WdMy7Jp7KnZh860usVMopmFjsUDs39boPJb1CgAxE9oawDLksNouKOn4ZSuUq8Gs65S-e-H2-zmM

We got back to the condo and had lunch and then got ready for the afternoon. We dropped kids 2 and 3 at Coral Crater Adventure park. They did the adventure tower and zip lining.
We then drove to Queen Emma’s summer palace. It wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, but it was nice. We had wanted to see Iolani Palace but tickets were sold out online. Child 1 really wanted to see it, so we drove out anyway. We went by the entrance office and found there were tickets for the audio tour still available and were so excited! The palace was very interesting and we were thrilled we got in. While the summer palace was nice, if you’re only going to see one, go to Iolani.

c9prZAyjWxKQMBR-mW4Wa0z3rMngjjrn3fIbQeiBfHLHc2cxuZo3zqXFBSNnhR85oL0iiUdi589rMH8Ew2_E0lP-OgExRMAFtK89EUCMK5yWAsY4Gqif6qXencjEGAO7V3_niKDUWR8s3joVrrBAaZU

DzzS9x3-wnQfnW__kDegxw94U_Gbr6jkvkkQcCoD86C5eNKmzqpBJPDTT4eKsxbFyLwYXclh-V1ErLOX6gnh18Wz2vsONkx-rP5ibahx8R1SUMlTOECIq3-3rfKksW4avN1Y8IA9pf7GzOma9yChcsA

We spent about an hour there and headed to drop me off at the condo while dh drove to get children 2 and 3 at 6. Traffic. Was horrible and it took dh forever to get out there. And, because if all the bugs and that our kids were the only ones on the Adventure Tower, they finished early. The guides would have let them continue to repeat the tower activities but the mosquitos were really bad. Child 3 said he was getting bitten though compression pants! (Well, maybe not really, but you get the idea). So they had a long wait.
What was funny is they did the zip line with a family with kids. At the end of the tour, the kids wanted shave ice and the parents said they could, so when our kids got home to the condo, the same family was at the shave ice place at the bottom of our building.

We made the Costco Mac and cheese and I had a couple of toppings for it: chicken strips, bacon, French fried onions and cheese. Along with salad, that was dinner. Child 3 has friends in Hawaii and went out with them. The rest of us went to bed early, since we have an early day tomorrow.

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

How was traffic getting to Pearl Harbor for your 8:45am reservation? Our tickets are for the same time and I was debating leaving Aulani at 7am, or maybe closer to 7:30am. Thanks!
We drove to Pearl from Waikiki. I’d suggest leaving to be there when it opens at 8 (we arrived about 8:15) as there isn’t a lot of parking and it’s nice to be in the closer lot. It was almost full when we arrived. It also got quite warm. Get there when it opens, do the museum and then go to the Arizona. There was road construction in a lot of places and traffic could be quite heavy.

I love the aviation museum and do wish you guys had seen it. I could be jaded because I was in the Air Force and my step-day is a docent there. Driving from Aulani in the morning can take a little time or a lot. When we were in that area (my mother lives in Eva Beach) in May there was no traffic in that direction at that time of the morning but it isn't always the case.

Great report!

What time were you done with the Missouri? We are planning g a similar day next month.

Great report!

What time were you done with the Missouri? We are planning g a similar day next month.

I’d say we were there about 1.5-2 hours. We chose to do the free docent tour, which was about 30 minutes. Then we spent another hour to hour and a half seeing the rest of the ship.

Wednesday
The alarm went off at 5:45 today, as I had told everyone we wanted to leave at 6:30 (really meaning, at this early hour, by 6:45. We did it! At 6:40 we were leaving the condo and arrived at Kualoa Ranch about 7:35. We checked in to both experiences: the Jurassic Park adventure and Secret Island. Our Jurassic Park adventure was at 8:40 for 2.5 hours. We then we’re doing the afternoon Secret Island beach trip.
Their were 20 people in our oversized keep like vehicle. This tour is quite bumpy, so if you don’t like that, I can’t recommend it. My kids enjoyed it, especially oldest child 1. It did rain during part of the tour and since the sides are open and the rain was blowing sideways with the wind, we got a little wet. Luckily we dried off quickly. If you want to do this tour, I recommend rewatching the Jurassic park movies, so you remember better when it’s referenced.

1687543978069.jpg

Kualoa also has cattle grazing, and they can wander at will. We saw them multiple times, and were often quite close and they didn’t seem to even care about us.

1687543978117.jpg

When we were done, we drove the mile or so to where the Secret Island trip begins. This is basically a beach experience, with “extras”. No good or drink is sold, but you can bring your own. They have kayaks and paddle boards you can use. There is a little boat you can sign up for a quick trip off shore and see the turtles. There is a double hill canoe that goes out to a sandbar past the buoy limits. You help paddle out and stay on the San at about 10-15 minutes. There are hammocks and ping pong tables. It was quite nice, but only really worth it (IMHO) if you take advantage of ghe extras.
1687543978162.jpg

1687543978203.jpg
(Hanging out in the water with child 1).

The original plan was to leave secret island at 3:15 when it ended and go to the North Shore to the food trucks at the Kahuku food trucks. But with the length of time it would take to get there and then drive home, we decided to take the shorter route home and go to Maui Brewing company. Traffic wasn’t too bad and we got home in a reasonable time. We cleaned up and headed to Maui Brewing company and it has a lot of seating, so we got seated immediately. I should add here that we all liked draft beer, cider or kombucha, so as a family, we like brew pubs. You don’t have a specific server here. Everything is ordered on the app and it’s brought out by whoever is available. You can make it so all the individual orders go on one bill, which makes it easy. I asked about their pizza and a server recommended them, saving they have a pizza oven and it was good. Child 2 wanted a different variation that couldn’t be ordered on our phone and we waved at a server and she came right over and helped. I originally thought this would be a weird way of ordering and once we got used to it, it was easy and boy, we especially got our drinks fast. It would also be good for groups where people want to pay separately, or even two families traveling together, because you can choose who will be part of your group.

We walked back to the condo and I realized I was really tired. Children 2 and 3 are hiking diamond head tomorrow, so they needed an early night as well. The sun and activity have made us tired

Your trip sounds fun so far! I was there back in September and really enjoyed visiting Pearl Harbor . I wish we had time to go ziplining!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter