October, 2015, PTR/TR: East versus West Coast Halloween Throwdown!

carole thank you. Not sure of the actual size, but USH seems much smaller than the HHN layout for Orlando. At the very least, the number of houses is less. I find the process of going into the massive sound stages to add to the overall intimidation factor for Orlando too.

Next up will be Knotts Scary Farm, a last minute add on, that was oh-so more than worth it.

Yep, I never thought about the size of the sound stages having an impact on impressions.....but actually yes it does a bit.......I`ve never heard of Knotts Scary Farm so looking forward to seeing that.......::yes::

Well i'll be talking more about Knotts Scary Farm since my better half forgot to load the memory stick into the camera. Has happened more than once, the worst feeling to try to take a picture and find out. Cell phone didn't do it justice I'm afraid.

Getting around LA without a car is quite a feat if your destinations aren't in close proximity or workable with their metro system. I had booked a shuttle early on, then caught the fact that my quote was an hourly rate & we would require a 2 hour minimum. Back to drawing board, surprised to discover that the majority of LA based towncar services charged for their travel time from garage to pick you up on top of your actual fare. Checked limos.com over several days and finally was able to secure a flat rate towncar. The driver was a half hour late, but deposited us at Knotts in one piece. I admit to closing my eyes a few times ala Mr Toad's Wild ride, gulp.

Their hotel is an older facility with outdated décor & furnishings but appears well kept & clean. Our room wasn't quite ready, didn't exactly feel comfortable with how bag check was being run (non-secured location in lobby), so we just sat on the comfy couches and stared at the desk. lol Not exactly, but the staff came over a few times to ask if we wanted to use the pool, etc. We declined and went back to reading our newspapers. We did see several wedding parties, apparently they have ballrooms. Within an hour, we were in our 'deluxe, park view room'. Location, location +great package were enough for me for a night.
034_zpsf7og6lsg.jpg

Our package included dinner at the hotel, I really wasn't expecting much...always nice to be pleasantly surprised. They offered the famous Mrs. Knott's fried chicken and other standard buffet offerings, but the highlight was the two actresses who were so interactive and entertaining.
040_zpscaiuh56d.jpg

9A9EA192-5849-4C49-B57B-6566DFD42DBA_zpsw5c24sgo.jpg

she was a noisy one, liked to sneak up upon people. Watch out if you touched her bear
154BFB6D-E2CC-4674-ABD1-7425C7BDAB90_zpsss3lzuvo.jpg

Found it intriguing how they integrated the wild west theming with several of the haunts. On the lanyard below are the VIP credentials (unlimited fotl) and the skeleton key that you could elect to use that granted access to a 'special' room/experience at most of the houses. Issue there was those lines were so long, we skipped the majority of them.
DE0ACFAD-2890-484D-85A1-436FCE2861E5_zpsiv6qw710.jpg

scary things go bump in the night, indeed! These scareactors got up much closer and personal. The fear factor was there as park was dimly lighted in spots, combined with the event effects, including high levels of fog, and you couldn't see more than a few feet in front of you in spots. Naturally, those areas were full of monsters. A special group liked to mingle, they are termed sliders due to the way they go crouch down and throw sparks using this equipment. In cannot imagine how they managed to perform that sort of stunt through the evening.
img_2038_365.jpg

here's one after sliding, who ducked under the holding rope to sneak up on victims
042_zpski7fxxip.jpg

For some reason, they either had many in this costume, or he was haunting us most of the evening lol
043_zpsqlxpaoky.jpg

Note the two employees in yellow & blue in background. There was an abundance of security. Knotts has earned a rather sketchy reputation. At no time did I feel uncomfortable. Tons of security were in evidence throughout the night. We saw no unruly behavior and had a wonderful time. If we lived closer Knotts, would be a part of our Halloween haunts every year!

Paranormal blew us away, best gag at approx. 2 min in video

other standouts for us were: Pinocchio Unstrung, Gunslinger's Grave & the Tooth fairy, the resident mad dentist graced the back of the official shirt I have yet to gather the nerve to wear in public, it's so creepy. We enjoyed the Mine Ride attraction,(where I managed to somehow gouge my leg getting out of the car. By the time I walked across park to first aid looked like a walker lol.

The 'hanging' had funny parts and voodoo house had some great sets too. When we were told we would be required to run for 45 minutes in the Special Ops attraction, gave our tickets to a dad & his kid who were in line with us on a house. They were thrilled. Actually the kid was thrilled, the Dad said he was still tired from 1st run-through.

Other than the RIPs @ USO HHN we've enjoyed, this was one of the few times we closed down a park. Honestly, wish I had booked two nights, forgoing another night@ DL.

I'm all caught back up :thumbsup2 . Love your pics, the one of your poor husband getting a good scare is priceless. Perfect timing with the camera!

Knott's Scary Farm looks awesome! I didn't even know they had a Halloween event....I guess maybe most theme parks do now? (I have been so out of the loop.....you can tell this year was the first I've ever planned an autumn trip)

You're making me want to book a vacation on the west coast......its just such a LONG flight for us :( .

Looking forward to more!

Brilliant update Janet.......that looks so much fun!!! I love when SA really get into character........

Hotel looks fine..... Glad the food was good.......yeah long flights are a consideration.....11 hours for us...then of course 3 hours before for security. But if Tom takes Early retirement and we book a much longer trip we could fly a few days from Orlando.....wouldn`t be so bad then....especially with a friend telling us how cheap the flights are!!!! I wish!!

Resident mad dentist :scared: now that is stuff of nightmares.........:D

You and the mister both look so good!!!!

gina - i haven't shared that picture with the mr yet, just the DISboard lol.

carole - i felt like raggedy ann, but thanks for the kind words. 3 hours for security?:faint: When we flew into Mexico found it interesting to find a line with hundreds of people ahead of us, but it took all of fifteen minutes after completing our customs forms. Weren't asked a single question other than if we were planning on leaving the country.

I can't complain re flights from PIT to Orlando, not difficult to find a reasonably priced NS that is a little over 2 hours in length. I use SWA as main carrier now that they absorbed Air Tran, who I actually preferred (more NS flights to other markets & so easy to upgrade to first class). Unfortunately, the farthest west I can book a NS on SWA is Vegas at approx 4.5 hours, when it used to be 'only' 5 into LAX or SNA. Ah well, good as excuse as any to make a fun pit stop

Yes it's pest with international flights checking in 3 hours ahead......but we do what has to be done to get there......we have only been asked odd questions once or twice.......once they pulled Kyle to the side, still beside us though and asked if we were his parents and had he ever been to Turkey or Pakistan recently......not countries we would set foot in anyway.......but Kyle didn't flinch and just answered the guy......then he started talking about really friendly stuff......was an odd encounter.

And you don't look like raggedy Ann!!!

And we are moving on...

Summoning Uber we were delivered promptly to the doorstop of the Disneyland Hotel. We've stayed here in the past, really enjoy the resort as to it be so well maintained and the historical aspect of it.

Arriving early, didn't expect our room to be ready. We booked a convention rate/run of the house. I've booked this sort of room in the past elsewhere and always received the dregs of the inventory. Not this time! Upgraded to deluxe corner room with view of the fireworks woohoo!

108_zpskka1pelp.jpg

298_zpsgo18el7l.jpg

view our tower/room from the hot tub, we're 4th floor down on left corner
150_zpsaxwoudgu.jpg

Since our time at Disneyland was short this trip, I booked two packages to try and get the most out of our trip but deleted one day from our tickets, only purchasing two day PH and a Mickey's Halloween Party ticket. Worked out very well for us.

We first went to CGA park, I wanted to make sure to see Alladin twice before it went dark for new Frozen show. One of my favorite attractions in the CA parks.
093_zpsd4rxairf.jpg

We had just missed the opening of Cars our last trip, was glad to see that it did live up to the hype. The whole area was very well-themed and charming.

163_zpsjzbfxuf4.jpg

front side of water taken while zooming past. wonder how many people lose their camera on this ride?
159_zps3duvl965.jpg

that's the tower of terror in back ground
160_zpssjdoam4k.jpg

101_zpst9est4wz.jpg

you can still 'preview' the pictures off the screen in Disneyland
161_zpsbzbyucjx.jpg

Another focus of the trip was to see the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay of the Haunted Mansion. I will admit that we enjoyed it, repeatedly through out our stay despite huge lines. We were told it was 'Christmas Crowded'. Something we heard again at WDW later in the trip.

172_zps9mznmn2h.jpg

Our 1st package was at my DH's favorite park restaurant, Blue Bayou, where we enjoyed surf & turf, with a surprisingly large well-cooked lobster tail. Wave hi to the tourists gliding past lol a ton of fun. Many thanks to our server for giving us a hint to return early tomorrow in order to be assigned a good seat for our 2nd package.
251_zpsnypofhke.jpg

That was one sweet upgrade at the hotel! A little pixie dust is sure a nice way to start off a stay pixiedust: .

Love the pics of the pool area, too. I hope you got a chance to enjoy some swimming in such a nice outdoor space.

I think I must be the only person on earth to NOT have ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm going to have to watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

Great photos and update!! :thumbsup2

Fantasmic!

124_zps0v2l2ttk.jpg

substantially different from the WDW version, good stunt work.

133_zpsyxqzkcp4.jpg

136_zps3jjygdau.jpg

hey, it never rains in California! oh well, they carried on with the show

146_zpsslko2bdn.jpg

142_zpsulegengw.jpg

We finished out the evening in the park, then back to hotel. I am a big enough Disney geek to enjoy the heck out of the headboard above our bed. DH was happy that he could mute the sound lol

http://vid104.photobucket.com/album...5-DDC2-49ED-8182-8327794D8039_zpsdqkbjakn.mp4

That was one sweet upgrade at the hotel! A little pixie dust is sure a nice way to start off a stay pixiedust: .

Love the pics of the pool area, too. I hope you got a chance to enjoy some swimming in such a nice outdoor space.

I think I must be the only person on earth to NOT have ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm going to have to watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

Great photos and update!! :thumbsup2

oh yeah, we are pool people! enjoyed it and trader sams the next day.

the movie is a modern classic of sorts, give it a whirl1

Wow.......Christmas crowded??? Scary thought.......looks lovely though......even I like nightmare before Christmas.......hotel looks gorgeous and I love that headboard......I wouldn't have muted it.......but yes DH absolutely would have.........lol.......

Pool looks great too........nice update and nice pic of you and the mister ::yes::

ok taking a break from packing from trip tomorrow, wanted to share a few more pics

The Mystical Blue Bayou was almost perfect. Glad I booked it as splurge. Dinner was less fancy, but we had a table in front of stage and enjoyed ourselves immensely. I even took pictures of food!
268_zps4ojr39gn.jpg
DH had chocolate crème brulee

267_zpsu9fd8fla.jpg
my cheesecake
everything was edible
269_zpsarhoe5wk.jpg

Actors got very up close & personal
336_zpsgj6cefwo.jpg

329_zpsxwprhdcc.jpg

http://vid104.photobucket.com/album...4-38BE-4262-8634-E288AFC029A2_zps0ayrbda1.mp4
http://vid104.photobucket.com/album...8-BD33-468E-9746-F0FC6E1D2632_zps9qfqxf8g.mp4

also, had seats for the fireworks, virtually unheard of at Disney parks. Only issue was a family that flat out refused to sit down, despite the CM repeatedly urging them to do so. Part of the package charm was a clear view of the fireworks show. Was told afterwards they would be handling it differently if it happened again and we were given FPs. I'm still trying to figure out how to crop them lol. My DH being taller got several good shots.

286_zpsqtrbraj7.jpg

ok taking a break from packing from trip tomorrow, wanted to share a few more pics

The Mystical Blue Bayou was almost perfect. Glad I booked it as splurge. Dinner was less fancy, but we had a table in front of stage and enjoyed ourselves immensely. I even took pictures of food!
268_zps4ojr39gn.jpg
DH had chocolate crème brulee

267_zpsu9fd8fla.jpg
my cheesecake
everything was edible
269_zpsarhoe5wk.jpg

Actors got very up close & personal
336_zpsgj6cefwo.jpg

329_zpsxwprhdcc.jpg

http://vid104.photobucket.com/album...4-38BE-4262-8634-E288AFC029A2_zps0ayrbda1.mp4
http://vid104.photobucket.com/album...8-BD33-468E-9746-F0FC6E1D2632_zps9qfqxf8g.mp4

also, had seats for the fireworks, virtually unheard of at Disney parks. Only issue was a family that flat out refused to sit down, despite the CM repeatedly urging them to do so. Part of the package charm was a clear view of the fireworks show. Was told afterwards they would be handling it differently if it happened again and we were given FPs. I'm still trying to figure out how to crop them lol. My DH being taller got several good shots.

286_zpsqtrbraj7.jpg

I found WDW's missing mickey ghost lol
432_zpslp8chjsy.jpg

trick or treating in toontown, got a ton of candy
305_zpsjv3tsqei.jpg

168_zpsgudgwqmd.jpg

popup entertainment in the park
171_zpsiyciirns.jpg

A quick (I wish) jump to east coast for a few Universal & HHN pics

Letting it RIP
C89F4ECE-A935-401A-B190-D51994ED0BE6_zps5cyb4pjy.jpg

swiping Jodie's picture below
28B28011-FACB-4F50-9271-215CC2328668_zpsjshsl2mk.jpg

funny how beer tastes better in a pub
ABBE8838-BF1E-4D37-B8EC-CD76190AC55E_zpsruemy2vv.jpg

jakes top notch steak, had a fun night there after flight
5BE9CD2D-E511-447F-B886-7285417CAD8D_zpsubwx5wkr.jpg

199_zpsaedfq6ye.jpg

217_zpsji1erzwy.jpg
rat girl!

184_zpsrc8wmuwk.jpg

182_zpsquv71tun.jpg

198_zpsnbjefofu.jpg

It was our turn for a not so stellar room @ RPR this trip. It is what it is...termed a "wonky" room by the staff. In tower 2 above dog park and close enough to road ramp where I could see faces in the cars. sigh, the odd layout & issues with housekeeping slamming doors repeatedly early in the mornings were disappointing.

a pie-shaped room, the smallest end being @ the window. TV was not in front of the king bed. JMHO but these rooms in the corners should be classified as a separate category "value" and priced accordingly.

209_zpsso2w2wwp.jpg

the 'fire' in the picture would pick up ambient night at light = pair of eyes staring at me lol

210_zpsgx1ssej0.jpg
It was a very busy time and blackout upgrades were in effect. Yet it is difficult to go from a suite to a room, let alone one 50 square foot smaller than standard one. Looking forward to a suite there tomorrow and enjoying the resort again:)

WDW for MNSSHP a few nights afterwards at All Star Sports. We were in a far-flung room, glad we had a vehicle. The pool was generic, drove over to Music's.

218_zpsv4qqqgu7.jpg

225_zpsnsyanmdm.jpg

553_zpsc4c6pdlj.jpg

519_zpsjqxrqp83.jpg

517_zpsmytkqfrn.jpg

I thought my camera sensor was blown on this shot, but all good
493_zpsxrc0xse7.jpg

469_zpsgta8nqxn.jpg

460_zpsied9ausd.jpg

455_zpsg66icern.jpg
only character line my DH would wait in for 1.5 hours...This is Halloween, This is Halloween! Thanks for reading along:)

Your photos were AWESOME! You definitely got better fireworks shots than I did!

What an epic trip :thumbsup2 . When is the next adventure??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter