October 2023 W.I.S.H. Thread - Happy Healthy Halloween

Totally random folks but need opinions. I am in the market for a new fanny pack. Which one would you go with? Mostly for theme park trips so would like to be able to tuck it under my shirt.

Fitter's Niche UltraSlim Fanny Waist Pack – Water Resistant Bag, Reflective Elastic Belt – Fit 24 to 43inch Waists, Holds Phones up to 6.7inch – Ideal for Indoor & Outdoor Workouts, Exercises & Trips https://a.co/d/20tcspA

Slim Running Belt Fanny Pack,Waist Pack Bag for Hiking Cycling Workout,Reflective Runners Belt Jogging Pocket Belt,Travelling Money Phone Holder for Running https://a.co/d/3Q8LlOJ
I also carry crossbody/convertible Bagallinnis at the parks and love them.

Many things were accomplished yesterday, it was a day of doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that which was very helpful in getting my brain to think that way again, instead of being so overwhelmed and thinking everything is just too much. The only have-to on my list for today is to scrub the bathroom, which I'm also attacking one little thing at a time... the tub, then the toilet, then the floors with knitting and other stuff in between.

I've also done several loads of laundry and will start roasting a pumpkin in a bit, there's a new variety available in addition to the standard sugar pumpkins (which is what I grew), and I got one to try it out. Other than that I'm enjoying watching many things on Disney+, mostly Halloween but also Encanto, which I hadn't seen, and Mary Poppins Returns, which I had seen but oh my the costumes! I think whoever did them was inspired by the way Mary Blair used color because wow.

Almost forgot!!! Answers to pumpkin trivia 🎃!! Turns out we are all pretty knowledgeable on Pumpkins 🎃!!

Are pumpkins a fruit or vegetable? Fruit!

Which state grows the most pumpkins? Illinois

How many seeds does a pumpkin have? Around 500!

What is the only continent that does not grow pumpkins? Antarctica!

TRUE/FALSE You can eat every part of a pumpkin: True!

Disboards must not be down for amazon links anymore 🤷‍♀️
Took the kids to the Scituate art festival which is a massive craft and antiques fair about half an hour from our house. My kids are not exactly go with the flow types so this didn't last long....but we tried and I got a lot of steps in since we parked a quarter mile from the start of the fair.
DD has started spurting out all kinds of different expressions...uh oh started a few weeks ago and owie the night after her flu shot. This weekend we've heard oh wow and how...it's pretty exciting. Hope she keeps it up!

This week, I check-in for our cruise that leaves the 28th. There's really nothing to it, I just officially get the time we get to board the ship, so it's always fun to get that done.

Thursday I'm taking my mom to her infusion appointment and I've found a new restaurant for us to try and I think we're going to go by DD2 new house that she's renting. My mom's never seen it and it's not too far from where we're going, so those will be a couple of bright spots in the day that's otherwise kind of blah and a bummer.

Otherwise not too much going on in my household this week. I might try to find something for us to do one evening. Even though my youngest has been out of high school (so no more sports, etc events to follow) for 3+ years, I still don't really have a good routing of things to do in the evenings so we don't just end up sitting around and watching tv. I need to work on that!

This week I'm motivated by having gotten the things I told myself I would do done over the weekend. It took until 7:30p but I did actually get the bathroom fully cleaned, so feeling pretty chuffed about that. Today the kitchen will get attention. And I'll keep going with chopping things in to little tiny actions.

Food wise the goal for this week is to stop getting a chai and pastry for breakfast.... ugh, such an easy bad habit to fall in to and I've done it again.

Saturday when I was straightening up things in the shed I had the thought to update my earthquake 3-day kit, and sure enough Sunday evening there was a 4.2 quake about 10 miles from my house, just to drive the point home, so I'm motived to get that done this week.

And I will probably be going to get a new car Thursday. I watched a bunch of YouTube reviews and have decided the Subaru Crosstrek is the one for me... about a third of the people in my town drive one, so that's a pretty good endorsement, right? I'm emotionally ready to let my car go and motived to get it done... after eight years of thinking about it.

Last edited:
I’m off today, so I have one last day of rest before returning to the chaos. I’m apprehensive about standing on the scale after a week on prednisone. I have the “moon face” which is very upsetting. My face looks like it did when I was 30 pounds heavier. 😩

I’m very motivated to get back into my healthy eating and active routine to quickly drop the prednisone weight. It could take weeks or months to return to normal. I’m not going to look at the number on the scale because however much I gained, it was not within my control. So onward and upward…I will concentrate on what is within my control…healthy eating and exercise.

This week, I check-in for our cruise that leaves the 28th. There's really nothing to it, I just officially get the time we get to board the ship, so it's always fun to get that done.

Thursday I'm taking my mom to her infusion appointment and I've found a new restaurant for us to try and I think we're going to go by DD2 new house that she's renting. My mom's never seen it and it's not too far from where we're going, so those will be a couple of bright spots in the day that's otherwise kind of blah and a bummer.

Otherwise not too much going on in my household this week. I might try to find something for us to do one evening. Even though my youngest has been out of high school (so no more sports, etc events to follow) for 3+ years, I still don't really have a good routing of things to do in the evenings so we don't just end up sitting around and watching tv. I need to work on that!
Cruise check-in day is a magical day!

I’m off today, so I have one last day of rest before returning to the chaos. I’m apprehensive about standing on the scale after a week on prednisone. I have the “moon face” which is very upsetting. My face looks like it did when I was 30 pounds heavier. 😩

I’m very motivated to get back into my healthy eating and active routine to quickly drop the prednisone weight. It could take weeks or months to return to normal. I’m not going to look at the number on the scale because however much I gained, it was not within my control. So onward and upward…I will concentrate on what is within my control…healthy eating and exercise.
You've got this!

And I will probably be going to get a new car Thursday. I watched a bunch of YouTube reviews and have decided the Subaru Crosstrek is the one for me... about a third of the people in my town drive one, so that's a pretty good endorsement, right? I'm emotionally ready to let my car go and motived to get it done... after eight years of thinking about it
Congrats! When we were deciding between 2 cars earlier this year we legitimately drove around our neighborhood to count how many people had Mazdas vs hyundais! It didn't help as we counted the same number...but since there were a bunch of both we felt confident in our decisions.

Been a productive morning so far with doing laundry and the like. Not sure what the day will hold today but we'll see.

I made the protein breakfast cookies I intended to make and they are disappointing. I even double checked the recipe to ensure I hadn't skipped an ingredient. They need a pinch of salt or something, very bland. If/when I find a good one I'll share it here.

DS8 and DD have been watching theme park videos and commenting on what he wants to do next time we go to WDW...little does he know we are just over 300 days away.

I am off today and have cleaned a bit and walked the dogs. I am going to work on laundry and the 2nd floor of the house in the afternoon.

I will admit I am unmotivated and emotional today.

Shortly after I woke up my mom was calling me. My relationship with my parents is complicated, so the fact that she was calling me at 8am was odd. I thought there was an emergency. She was calling to wish me happy birthday, but it’s not my birthday. Then my dad texted me happy birthday. The fact that I have been their daughter since the day I was born and neither of them know when my birthday is…it’s hurtful. Instead of apologizing my mother said…oh well! Better now than never!! My body and heart literally aches for days after any communication with my parents, which is why it is very limited.

I’m hoping to turn things around here so I am not down in the dumps all day!

I am eating healthy so far, tracking and drink my water!!!

I am off today and have cleaned a bit and walked the dogs. I am going to work on laundry and the 2nd floor of the house in the afternoon.

Shortly after I woke up my mom was calling me. My relationship with my parents is complicated, so the fact that she was calling me at 8am was odd. I thought there was an emergency. She was calling to wish me happy birthday, but it’s not my birthday. Then my dad texted me happy birthday. The fact that I have been their daughter since the day I was born and neither of them know when my birthday is…it’s hurtful. Instead of apologizing my mother said…oh well! Better now than never!! My body and heart literally aches for days after any communication with my parents, which is why it is very limited.

I am so sorry for your pain. When our family hurts us, the wounds run deep. I hope you can find a way to detach from them and protect yourself from further hurt.

I hope you're able to turn it around like you said :hug:

Family dynamics can be so complicated and hurtful

Family stuff can be so challenging, sending hugs to help you thru it.

TOPIC TUESDAY: The Power of Hobbies

1696906473779.png

Studies have shown that doing a hobby that increases our mental stimulation brings a 13% increase on our overall wellbeing. They have been shown to bring us lower stress, better physical health, more sleep, more social connections, improved work performance, and increased happiness. They can help to give us personal fulfillment, self-expression, and a sense of accomplishment. And they help us to express ourselves in a way that is unique to our personalities and interests.

It is said that we should each have three hobbies: one to make us happy, one to make us healthy and one to make us money.

Do you have any hobbies? Do you find they bring you the benefits mentioned above? Are there any hobbies you are interested in taking up?

TOPIC TUESDAY: The Power of Hobbies

View attachment 800605

Studies have shown that doing a hobby that increases our mental stimulation brings a 13% increase on our overall wellbeing. They
have been shown to bring us lower stress, better physical health, more sleep, more social connections, improved work performance, and increased happiness. They can help to give us personal fulfillment, self-expression, and a sense of accomplishment. And they help us to express ourselves in a way that is unique to our personalities and interests.

It is said that we should each have three hobbies: one to make us happy, one to make us healthy and one to make us money.

Do you have any hobbies? Do you find they bring you the benefits mentioned above? Are there any hobbies you are interested in taking up?
I don’t know if reading qualifies as a hobby, but it’s something that I do daily, even on my busiest days, I always read before bed for 30-60 minutes. When I’m not working, I read voraciously going through a book every two days.

I love art and music. I don’t currently do either outside of school, and not as much as I would like in school. My health is keeping me from singing for now.

I'm not sure about everyone needing a hobby that makes them money, but I definitely agree about the other benefits! It reminds me of this quote:
IMG_1193.jpeg

I kind of cycle through hobbies (and often back through the same ones). I like having something creative (it's been writing, scrapbooking, photography...) something to challenge my brain (various kinds of puzzle, definitely reading, and currently taking some "senior college" classes) and something physical as well (walking, yoga, whatever) at any given time.

A hobby I'm interested in learning is embroidery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter