Odd call with MS yesterday, but happy with outcome

tinkfan

DIS Veteran
I called MS yesterday to inquire about availabilty in July for a possible trip spur of the moment because of hubby's travel plans for work.

We are going next week on our planned trip to BWV.
While on the phone I happened to ask about a waitlist we have for Sat night. Since it was the 7 day out mark I figured we would be going off the waitlist. We are checking into a GV on Sunday and have been on the waitlist for Sat night since we booked our airfare and found it better if we arrived on Sat. I booked a 1 bdrm for my family for the one night , planning to move on Sunday. I even added the dining plan for that one night to give it a try. We have others joining us throughout the week.

SO I mentioned that I would be going off the waitlist and she said she would check on it. She said yes, the waitlist had expired and then kinda mumbled a little bit and asked to put me on hold. After a short while she came back and said " We have the room for you if you still want it" ??!! I asked the Grand Villa?? She said yes. I told her yes we wanted it , but I didn't understand. We had been waitlisted up until that day and on that day it happens to be available??? Her response was well, that 7 day mark is cruical. We booked the room and are very happy we don't have to change roooms. I just found it very odd that it all of the sudden it was available. BW must hold at one of the Grand Villas back for special reasons. Or do you think it was really luck at the 7 day mark? :confused:

We can't wait to check in now on Saturday!!

I can't count the number of times DISers have reported calling MS and "by coincidence" a waitlist happens to come through at that very moment. I have given up trying to figure out why this happens, but if ever I REALLY need a room for which I am waitlisted, I think I will just call periodically. Glad you got the happy news, at any rate!

I once got an entire stay, 6 days out, standard BWV after six months on the WL. And early December at that. I almost forgot about the day by day and thought, "why not?". The CM told me she delayed speaking b/c she was so shocked. But GV...congrats on that.

I think there is a chance that the CRO gives back at a certain point. I once got a room for 8 days, days before, in a very busy time period. That time the CM got off the phone for quite awhile. I think she was phoning the resort.

Have a wonderful stay,

Lisa

My guess is if a room hasn't been rented for cash close to the check-in date, they are given permission to give it back to a member rather than have it sit empty.

I had that happen this week also. When I called to book our february vacation, the CM casually said "Oh, we have that night you want at Vero Beach in July available, do you want it?" Well, yes, since we've been on the waitlist FOREVER for that night (july 4th week). It makes me wonder if they don't check the waitlist requests daily, maybe only 2-3 times per week. I wonder how the new waitlist policy will affect that.

I had just thought I read from someone here ( Doc maybe??) that because there are so few BW Grand Villas that they do not give them to CRO unless not booked by a member? But maybe dvc holds one back for special events or one was out of service. We are happy for whatever reason it just seems that members have to work a little harder to secure the reservations they want. Maybe the new waitlist policy will work better, but I somehow doubt it.

Count me as another member who does not get how the waitlist works at all.... :confused3

Funny - hmmm..... I have been checking daily online at the website to see if my auto wait list came through. I arrive on 6/21, and today being 5/22, figured if id didnt come today, it won't. Mythinking was the waitlist is done at 30 days. So I called today, and guess what - a pref view BW room for the three nights was available??? Very odd! But I can't wait, have never stayed at either the BW or BCV, so it will be so different to be in that area!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter