# of bags allowed

ronaldnelson

Mouseketeer
Adventures by disney says only one bag per person and only sent tags for one bag, i phoned ABD to see if our family of 5 could bring 6 or 7 as we are in Germany 10days before our adventure and wanted 2 bags to put our dirty clothes, they said it shouldn't be a problem am worried we are going to be frowned upon? has anyone taking more than the allotted bags?

We just brought 1 per person. On our Germany trip it was pretty full and the driver really stuffed the bus full when we were packing from hotel to hotel. Everytime I go to Europe I find myself bringing less and less. I've never seen anyone counting bags on the trip but the airlines? Now that's a different story.

Thanks Carpenta, we are going for 18 days so we are trying to pack light but cover all weather, i am hoping to cut down to one extra bag if all goes well. we are allowed 2 bags each on the airline so that isn't a problem

Thanks Carpenta, we are going for 18 days so we are trying to pack light but cover all weather, i am hoping to cut down to one extra bag if all goes well. we are allowed 2 bags each on the airline so that isn't a problem
ABD isn't going to make you leave your bags behind or pay extra if you have extra bags. They just try to limit it to 1 each because if everyone brought 2 bags, they wouldn't all fit under the bus when you transfer hotels.

Sayhello

I called to ask about this too...it was explained it's super important to keep the bag count down...if, during the trip, a flight is included (like China!), because only one full sized suitcase is allowed per person for that due to airline restrictions, Just FYI. We are doing ABD Southern California, and we are bringing 3 full sized suitcases for the 2 of us, plus our carry-ons. We were told it should not be a problem!

they said it shouldn't be a problem am worried we are going to be frowned upon

1) Everyone else gets One Bag.
2) Why be selfish and try to take more?
3) There is limited space below a bus for storage.
4) What if others brought more luggage or oversized luggage?
. . . someone's luggage gets left behind.
. . . they are not going to hire a separate bus for luggage
. . . they are not going to strap the bags on top of the bus with a bungee cord
6) Why not just go with one bag per person?
. . . pack light
. . . we have done 14-day European vacations (and business trips) with just one 30" checked-bag each
. . . a 30" bag fits a lot of stuff if packed well
. . . use Zip Lock baggies for clothes and "smush" them down and press out air - lots of extra space this way

NOTE: The term "shouldn't be a problem" when used by Reservation People is just a way to skip the topic. Ask anyone how much bad advice they have gotten from Disney Ressie people. Disney Ressie Reps are Salespeople on Bonus, and can give lots of misinformation.

:cool1:

. . . pack light
. . . we have done 14-day European vacations (and business trips) with just one 30" checked-bag each
. . . use Zip Lock baggies for clothes and "smush" them down and press out air - lots of extra space this way

NOTE: The term "shouldn't be a problem" when used by Reservation People is just a way to skip the topic. Ask anyone how much bad advice they have gotten from Disney Ressie people. Disney Ressie Reps are Salespeople on Bonus, and can give lots of misinformation.

OK, to try and stop a lot of argument here, I'm just going to comment that this is YOUR OPINION. How you travel, and how someone else travels has nothing to do with each other. I have a friend who traveled cross-country for two weeks with just a small duffel bag. I could never do that. I have another friend who went solo to Europe for 10 days and took 3 large suitcases and a carry-on. Everyone is entitled to travel and pack how they want to. And if ABD said it won't be an issue, then it won't be an issue.

Sayhello

. . . pack light

I wish I could have done business trips like that - but I had to wear full business professional suits and I could not wear the same suit 2 days in a row. (That was a work requirement, fyi!) We also had to travel business professional so we could not even fly comfortably...ugh. (LOL! I'm glad I'm not with that company anymore!!)

We usually do 2 full sized suitcases, one 'small' carry-on sized suitcase and 2 backpacks total for the 2 of us. We use zippered packing cubes which are an awesome way to squeeze lots of things in small spaces without them looking like a wrinkled mess when you take them out. They also can be put directly into drawers so unpacking takes seconds!! I use one for unmentionables/socks/bathing suits, one for shirts and one for bottoms.

Not trying to be selfish here. I do not care to be stinky (I do not think my other travelers want me to be stinky either! LOL!) I bring a change of underwear and clothes for each day of the trip, plus a fleece/lightweight jacket, also one pair of clothes in case the weather is warmer or cooler then typical, for example, one pair of shorts if we expect it to be a cold climate and it's warmer, or one pair of pants if we go someplace warm and the actual weather is much colder.) . That does not include dress clothes and heels if needed! (I'm glad I won't need those for ABD! Yay!) How about bathing suits, pool shoes or sandals? I need just a few (3 max) pairs of shoes for this trip, and a makeup bag. (Unfortunately, I have feet/nerve sensitivity problems and always bring 2 pairs of sneakers so I can change out each day so I do not have excruciating pain by day 3. They have custom insoles and are very good sneakers, I just can't wear the same pair two days in a row. The third pair of shoes I bring are small mesh ballet flats by sketchers that are great for the pool or can look like dressy shoes if you do not look closely...lol) And I'm not giving up my makeup bag - it's tiny!

Typically I wear the bulkiest clothing on the plane so it's not taking up luggage space, if possible. I bring trial sizes of everything, squish stuff down as far as possible, and typically can squeeze everything into one full sized suitcase. My backpack is for souvenir space, my purse, a book and my iPad.

My Husband is a business traveler road warrior type, and used to having to have a bit of everything. He tends to over-pack... way over-pack, but it has saved our tail several times we were stuck. Last time we went to CA (not ABD), I got a seriously bad head cold that turned into bronchitis and had lots of issues getting cough medicine, decongestants and such in Disneyland. Our hotel (Californian) did not have anything and they sent us to downtown Disney. They only had one brand and one type, and it did not help my symptoms. We did not have a car. Since that trip, we now take cough meds, decongestants, allergy medicine, aspirin etc. LOL it's a small pharmacy, in tiny pill containers! My husband is an avid photographer and his lenses take up room. He brings charging cables, a monopod, extra batteries and memory etc...This is where the spillover comes from. Typically the 'girl' gets accused of over-packing...not with my hubby! LOL!!

I do not think it's unfair to have more then one item each - I'm talking about (for both of us) 2 full sized suitcases, 2 backpacks and just one single 'carry on' size luggage which will have my hubby's lenses and room for our souvenirs...I think this is reasonable.

I don't wanna start an argument either, but I would like to point out that a 30 inch bag is enormous and not always possible to travel with. I can barely handle a 25 inch bag. That's what I travel with.

And my last ABD was always getting updated bag counts cause they expected people to have more bags. So it's not sales talk.

There seems to be 2 types of people on this thread & some seem to be going to Stay in USA & others Outside of USA.

Those who are staying in USA seem to have NO problem with Luggage size Weight & number of Bags ... And Thats Fine.

BUT those Leaving the shores of USA . ON AN AEROPLANE JUST MIGHT & WILL have a Problem ..... UNLESS THEY are Prepared

to PAY for EXTRA Weight.

Please Check the Luggage Weight & Size & NUMBER of bags allowed By the Airline that you are flying with.

We have seen tears at MCO from USA passengers who THINK that they Can board the Aircraft with HUGE Carry On Bags

& Have had to PAY UP .

Then .... By Coach ... in Europe think of other guests on YOUR Coach .. WHY should some people have 3 bags and others 2

THEN THINK of OTHER GUESTS WHO are Staying in the SAME HOTEL who have to STEP Over / Avoid All these

pieces of Luggage lined up in front of the " Lifts " ( Elevators ) while trying to get to Their Rooms .

NOTE TO USA Guests to Europe in summer time ...... If you wish to use the Sun Loungers at the Hotel make sure

you Place a Towel on it ...... ver

This discussion is not about airports though, Woodview. It's about ABD.

ABD does not mind extra bags. End of story. At least not on the ABDs I have done. They give duffels for this purpose. People on my ITALY trip were given extra tags to be accommodated. Granted, it wasn't a full up trip, but I think either way it would have been okay.

The under the coach space thing is a silly argument. ABD won't leave anyone's luggage behind. And there are numerous times the luggage doesn't even travel on your coach with you.

And what is this tripping over to get to the elevator thing? ABD's luggage isn't ever in anyone's way.

Good god, this discussion is ridiculous. Why are people trying to talk others out of doing something
ABD has no problem with?

Sure you'll pay bag fare, but if ABD says okay and you're cool with the extra, then nobody should be hating on you for it.

Do remember though, it is large airport fees. 100 dollars a bag for my extra bag coming back from Italy. Domestic is about 25.

It may not be about airports BUT MOST ABD people have to use them to start their ABD tour

So extra weight at an extra cost is another extra. THIS SHOULD be Pointed out by ABD people.......

Yes tripping over a coach load of luggage from any Coach load of tourists be they ABD or any other Co. sometimes

is a problem . for other travelers , who have to try and pass while trying to check in or out of Hotel.

Or getting to their room . while the elevator is being used for luggage.

thanks everyone for your comments bad or good, I do not think i am being selfish as we are there for 3 weeks total (2 weeks before ABD) and have looked into Laundry machines but no hotel seems to have them so we are taking 13 days of clothing and if it is hot probably changing twice a day. if there were laundry machines their would be no issue as we pack for 7 days and keep doing wash. the reason we are taking 1 extra bag is to put our dirty clothes in so our clean clothes don't start stinking, who wants to smell someone else Body Oder or stinky clothes? we finished packing and we have 6 suit cases and 3 carry ons so 1 suit case is taking the place of 2 carry ons. As we have 2 adults, 2 - 11 yr old twin boys, and a 15 year old daughter who if she could she would bring 3 suitcases just for herself. As for the Airline, the luggage is not a problem as we are allowed 3 bags each, 1 carry on and 1 personal bag each.

sorry for posting as i definitely did not want to start arguments and being a negative post, and WHITE ROSE i am very much like yourself as i usually where 1 set of clothes during the day and another for when we are back from touring around as i sweat a lot if it is hot out

thanks again for your comments everyone

Woodview, I completely agree ABD should warn folks about air cost for excess bags. But it's also on people to check out things themselves.

And I have NEVER seen luggage, especially ABD's, be an impediment for hotel guests. If a hotel let's that occur, it's their fault, not the fault of how many bags a specific guest brings.

I called to ask about this too...it was explained it's super important to keep the bag count down...if, during the trip, a flight is included (like China!), because only one full sized suitcase is allowed per person for that due to airline restrictions, Just FYI. We are doing ABD Southern California, and we are bringing 3 full sized suitcases for the 2 of us, plus our carry-ons. We were told it should not be a problem!
HI White Rose, you will have to let me know how the ABD California is as we are looking at doing it next year but it seems pretty costly and would like to know if it is worth the extra cost as there are 5 of us and with our dollar not doing so well we would be looking at almost $4000/per person and being a DVC member i could do a similar trip for a quarter of the cost.

thanks again for your post

thanks everyone for your comments bad or good, I do not think i am being selfish as we are there for 3 weeks total (2 weeks before ABD) and have looked into Laundry machines but no hotel seems to have them so we are taking 13 days of clothing and if it is hot probably changing twice a day. if there were laundry machines their would be no issue as we pack for 7 days and keep doing wash. the reason we are taking 1 extra bag is to put our dirty clothes in so our clean clothes don't start stinking, who wants to smell someone else Body Oder or stinky clothes? we finished packing and we have 6 suit cases and 3 carry ons so 1 suit case is taking the place of 2 carry ons. As we have 2 adults, 2 - 11 yr old twin boys, and a 15 year old daughter who if she could she would bring 3 suitcases just for herself. As for the Airline, the luggage is not a problem as we are allowed 3 bags each, 1 carry on and 1 personal bag each.

sorry for posting as i definitely did not want to start arguments and being a negative post, and WHITE ROSE i am very much like yourself as i usually where 1 set of clothes during the day and another for when we are back from touring around as i sweat a lot if it is hot out

thanks again for your comments everyone

My pleasure! When I cruise I have daytime clothes and night time clothes. I sometimes bring one extra outfit incase I'm overly hot during the day....but I do not think I'll need it for southern CA in Oct. I hope you have a great trip!! I sincerely doubt there will be time to do laundry...lol...I bring enough clothes so I don't have to do laundry...nothing against people who do, in fact...I wanna bless people who do that - it's just not me! Our big suitcases have four wheels and roll on their own. They are hard shell plastic with no zippers, and 2 locking latches. it comes up to my hip. (I'm short.) We call em 'big red'.

We end up with one suitcase of dirty laundry always, too...we travel with a small thin laundry bag that gets hung up in the closet and the dirties just go right in there, and it's packed in one suitcase at the end of the trip with shoes and sometimes hubby's camera equipment. I won't tell my hubby that is why his charging cables smell like socks, if you won't. :)

There seems to be 2 types of people on this thread & some seem to be going to Stay in USA & others Outside of USA. Those who are staying in USA seem to have NO problem with Luggage size Weight & number of Bags ... And Thats Fine. BUT those Leaving the shores of USA . ON AN AEROPLANE JUST MIGHT & WILL have a Problem ..... UNLESS THEY are Prepared to PAY for EXTRA Weight. Please Check the Luggage Weight & Size & NUMBER of bags allowed By the Airline that you are flying with. We have seen tears at MCO from USA passengers who THINK that they Can board the Aircraft with HUGE Carry On Bags & Have had to PAY UP .

Most people who come with huge carry on bags who are coming home from Orlando had those same bags going TO Orlando. Depending on the airline you use and the class, you don't have to pay for luggage, unless it's over weight, even internationally! We brought two full sized suitcases plus 1 small piece and very large garment bag for our European Cruise we took 3 years ago, and had no problem and were not charged any fees. We weighed our luggage before we left, and brought an electronic scale with us to test for the trip home. (prepared hubby.) My hubby uses miles for our flights, and he has status....so it's a good idea to do research before you leave...like we did.

HI White Rose, you will have to let me know how the ABD California is as we are looking at doing it next year but it seems pretty costly and would like to know if it is worth the extra cost as there are 5 of us and with our dollar not doing so well we would be looking at almost $4000/per person and being a DVC member i could do a similar trip for a quarter of the cost.

thanks again for your post

wow lots of posts by me, sorry....there are lots of great trip reports and info all over the ABD forum. What might seem expensive to me might be cheap to you, so my opinions of price and value will be based on my hubby's experience. We are doing the trip for him so he can visit Jim Henson's Studios. If he has a good time and is excited and satisfied by his experience there, then the trip was 'worth it'. :) For us, ABD is 'worth it' for the extra special unique things ABD can arrange that are impossible or hard to do without them.

Hi White Rose again, ha ha ha I totally agree and that is what I am hoping to learn is that those special tours make it all worth while, it is the tours that you spend a lot of money on and go gosh I feel cheated, I have not had that experience with Disney but on a few cruise ship excursions i did, and I won't say anything to your hubby ha ha ha and I totally agree with you on spending this trip we splurged and went first class as it is a lot longer of a trip and after 4 hours in economy I usually see a message therapist for two hours and it is our trip of a lifetime
Take care, chat soon

Are we done arguing about this? I really don't want to close the thread, but I will if folks can't behave.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter