• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I wouldn’t bet on the half being the same with EPCOT having so much construction...that exit will change
Ooh, it looks like the Marathon weekend courses were certified on January 8, so you could be right -- but that is cutting it close! :oops:

(yes, I have experience with race management, and no race director wants to be in that position!)

Ooh, it looks like the Marathon weekend courses were certified on January 8, so you could be right -- but that is cutting it close! :oops:

(yes, I have experience with race management, and no race director wants to be in that position!)

can u even imagine? Wine and dine exits were changed to accommodate construction... we should see something soon

Sometimes they don’t post the certifications online until after the race too. I would definitely expect the finish to change from last year at the very least.

Here is are links to course maps at the USATF website. If they were changing the routes this year, they would have had to get it certified by now, so I think it is safe to plan on this.

5K: https://www.certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=l&id=FL19031TY

10K: https://www.certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=l&id=FL18074TY

Half Marathon: https://www.certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=l&id=FL18075TY

Those can’t be accurate as they are dated 2018 (10k one at least) and also the Epcot still shows the fountain and has you running places that would be impossible right now.

Anyone concerned about the possibility of cancellation due to Corona? FYI, I’m NOT a panic person, just the south by southwest cancellation has my radar up...
Yes and no... I'd be very surprised if rD cancels entirely, but wouldn't be surprised to see an advisory like LA Marathon issued - something about keeping social distance while at the expo/in corrals/etc., lots more hand sanitizer stations, maybe at corral entrances + outside porta-potties, volunteers handing over medals instead of putting them over people's heads, that kind of stuff. At a personal level, I'm currently existing in this weird grey area: on the one hand, I am in a semi-high risk category due to chronic health issues, and my 70+ yo mother with health issues lives with me, so I'm being careful with hand washing, some social distancing, etc. - but that's really just my normal most of the year because I live in Tourist Central and am exposed to a gazillion germs everywhere I go. I'm not convinced that WDW is any better or worse than my daily life in that regard. Heck, we've got several people out sick in my office, and I'm listening to a coworker blow their nose right now. It's easy enough to hang out at the back of my corral and keep some distance from coughers/sneezers/spitters. That said... I'm also not sure I want to be packed in cheek-by-jowl in ride lines, or at Oga's.

So tl;dr: I'm not feeling a need to cancel yet, and haven't seen anything to indicate rD is thinking about it, either.

The hand sanitizer stations are out quite a bit right now at WDW.

Yes and no... I'd be very surprised if rD cancels entirely, but wouldn't be surprised to see an advisory like LA Marathon issued - something about keeping social distance while at the expo/in corrals/etc., lots more hand sanitizer stations, maybe at corral entrances + outside porta-potties, volunteers handing over medals instead of putting them over people's heads, that kind of stuff. At a personal level, I'm currently existing in this weird grey area: on the one hand, I am in a semi-high risk category due to chronic health issues, and my 70+ yo mother with health issues lives with me, so I'm being careful with hand washing, some social distancing, etc. - but that's really just my normal most of the year because I live in Tourist Central and am exposed to a gazillion germs everywhere I go. I'm not convinced that WDW is any better or worse than my daily life in that regard. Heck, we've got several people out sick in my office, and I'm listening to a coworker blow their nose right now. It's easy enough to hang out at the back of my corral and keep some distance from coughers/sneezers/spitters. That said... I'm also not sure I want to be packed in cheek-by-jowl in ride lines, or at Oga's.

So tl;dr: I'm not feeling a need to cancel yet, and haven't seen anything to indicate rD is thinking about it, either.
I’m hoping they cancel and allow race deferrals or refunds. Things are being cancelled left and right now. People from all over the country/world come to these races. It’s the exact situation the WHO/CDC is warning against. Not everyone can hang at the back of corrals.

I acknowledge bias, as I cancelled my trip last week. Not regretting the decision at all, especially given that the US is not testing at the levels they need to. The virus is in nearly every state now. The surgeon general has acknowledged that the US is now in a mitigation phase, rather than a containment phase. Mitigation requires aggressive social distancing. The races should not go forward.

Anyway, hoping that more and more places, including Disney, stop taking a business as usual approach, and cancel these large gatherings as they should.

Last edited:
I’m hoping they cancel and allow race deferrals or refunds. Things are being cancelled left and right now. People from all over the country/world come to these races. It’s the exact situation the WHO/CDC is warning against.
This is kind of my point, though: I live in Florida - people from all over the world are here EVERY DAY. In my stores, in my office, on my sidewalks, at my beach - WDW is just an extension of the situation all over a state that is in the thick of its peak tourism season. For me, I don't see WDW as being any more or less "dangerous" than my every day life. I understand folks from other areas may have a different view, of course. It's really up to each person to analyze their own personal risk and how they respond to that.

This is kind of my point, though: I live in Florida - people from all over the world are here EVERY DAY. In my stores, in my office, on my sidewalks, at my beach - WDW is just an extension of the situation all over a state that is in the thick of its peak tourism season. For me, I don't see WDW as being any more or less "dangerous" than my every day life. I understand folks from other areas may have a different view, of course. It's really up to each person to analyze their own personal risk and how they respond to that.
In your every day life it is much easier to practice the social distancing of 2m than it is at WDW or a runDisney event. At the grocery store, you aren’t crammed up against lots of people. You can find space away from a seemingly sick person. Think of the bag check line, or a queue, the corrals, lines for the porta potties, the buses. No option for social distancing. Your every day life, despite being in Florida, offers you far more choice and opportunity for social distancing. It’s social distancing that will push this virus back.

In your every day life it is much easier to practice the social distancing of 2m than it is at WDW or a runDisney event. At the grocery store, you aren’t crammed up against lots of people. You can find space away from a seemingly sick person. Think of the bag check line, or a queue, the corrals, lines for the porta potties, the buses. No option for social distancing. Your every day life, despite being in Florida, offers you far more choice and opportunity for social distancing. It’s social distancing that will push this virus back.
All I can tell you is that I practice social distancing at every rD race. It IS possible, I promise! I can stand in a line and not be on top of someone. I can stand in my corral and be 3 feet away from people. When someone near me starts coughing, I can tuck my face down and simply move away. I don't touch things, I wash my hands frequently, and I don't touch my eyes, mouth, or nose. As I said above, I have to do this all the time because of my own health situation - and I can count only once that I got sick from being in WDW, at a race or otherwise. Over 30 years of visits. I'm not saying it's not possible I could catch something, only that historically, I haven't, thanks to taking care. Conversely, both times I've had the flu and subsequent complications from it, I got it at home.

If you live in a tourist area in peak season (and I live in a town that more than triples its population between Christmas and Easter from seasonal residents), unless you hermit - social distancing is impossible. We have two confirmed cases in the county that my husband works including a death.

My husband is just as much at risk working a public interfacing job as going to a runDisney event, especially with the people down here for Baseball Spring Training and the amount of wealthy retirees living here that travel all over the world then come back home.

We're practicing washing our hands, trying to avoid touching our faces, using hand sanitize as needed.

I won't live my life worried about what could happen if there are reasonable ways to make sure you make smart decisions. I would have missed out on a lot of things if I lived like that.

If you live in a tourist area in peak season (and I live in a town that more than triples its population between Christmas and Easter from seasonal residents), unless you hermit - social distancing is impossible. We have two confirmed cases in the county that my husband works including a death.

My husband is just as much at risk working a public interfacing job as going to a runDisney event, especially with the people down here for Baseball Spring Training and the amount of wealthy retirees living here that travel all over the world then come back home.

We're practicing washing our hands, trying to avoid touching our faces, using hand sanitize as needed.

I won't live my life worried about what could happen if there are reasonable ways to make sure you make smart decisions. I would have missed out on a lot of things if I lived like that.
We will have to disagree.

All I can tell you is that I practice social distancing at every rD race. It IS possible, I promise! I can stand in a line and not be on top of someone. I can stand in my corral and be 3 feet away from people. When someone near me starts coughing, I can tuck my face down and simply move away. I don't touch things, I wash my hands frequently, and I don't touch my eyes, mouth, or nose. As I said above, I have to do this all the time because of my own health situation - and I can count only once that I got sick from being in WDW, at a race or otherwise. Over 30 years of visits. I'm not saying it's not possible I could catch something, only that historically, I haven't, thanks to taking care. Conversely, both times I've had the flu and subsequent complications from it, I got it at home.
3 ft is only 0.9m, less than half the recommended distance. We’ll have to disagree on this.

The biggest difference - you cannot practice social distancing at WDW. It is too crowded. You can practice to some degree in all of those other settings. No idea what Disney will do here, but everyone should consider WDW a cruise ship - same level of exposure to contagions. If you would cruise now, head to WDW. If you wouldn't cruise because of the health concern, you probably should rethink WDW. But, as you said, this is a very personal decision that I wouldn't presume to make for someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter