• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

I haven't been to HHN in almost 30 years since I was kid so I'm basically a newbie. We are planning to attend on a Friday in early September. We want to do it all... haunted houses, scare zones, shows... EVERYTHING. Can it all be done in a single night or should I start saving for express passes? I see another option they've offered in the past is the rush of fear pass for about $50 more. That may be an option as we will be down for an entire weekend and could go the following night as well. Thanks for any advice!

We went last week of September and the answer is a hard no. We walked in at 7 with express and hit every haunted house and didnt get out till 1am. We also skipped the shows. If you want to do everything in 1 night express is mandatory. Also you need to do rope drop to close. Another thing to keep in mind is that the event is open longer on weekends than if you hit it a weekday night, so you may paradoxically have better luck getting everything done in a single night on a weekend night with express if you are also trying to do the shows sense the shows will eat a good chunk of time sense you have to get their early to get a seat and they last a bit.

Also EVERYTHING, includes the special horror nights food offerings too so being there longer will let you have room to grab the snacks.

The Weeknd as in....The Weeknd, The Weeknd?

I really hope Fear Street is true though because those movies were so good! Especially the second one.

The Weeknd as in....The Weeknd, The Weeknd?

I really hope Fear Street is true though because those movies were so good! Especially the second one.

Yes! That’s been the speculation I’ve heard. I guess he uses a lot of horror imagery in his music videos. I’ve never seen any of the videos but I do like his music so I’ll have to check them out.

I really hope we get Fear St! That’s one of the ones I’m most excited for.

We went last week of September and the answer is a hard no. We walked in at 7 with express and hit every haunted house and didnt get out till 1am. We also skipped the shows. If you want to do everything in 1 night express is mandatory. Also you need to do rope drop to close. Another thing to keep in mind is that the event is open longer on weekends than if you hit it a weekday night, so you may paradoxically have better luck getting everything done in a single night on a weekend night with express if you are also trying to do the shows sense the shows will eat a good chunk of time sense you have to get their early to get a seat and they last a bit.

Also EVERYTHING, includes the special horror nights food offerings too so being there longer will let you have room to grab the snacks.

I don’t want to say any guarantees because maybe this was an anomaly, but we went on a Saturday night in early September last year and made it through every house at least once, most of them twice (the ones we didn’t do twice were by choice), and our favorite house three times, every scare zone several times, and both shows, all without Express Pass. It was our first time going and we had the AP that included the ticket, so we decided to check it out. The night before I saw all the advice about how you have to have an express pass, so we went to buy them and they were sold out already. I was kind of upset, but we decided that since our ticket was free, if we missed out we would think about returning some other weekend. By the end of the night when we accomplished more than we expected, we both agreed that we would have felt like we wasted money on express pass because it just wasn’t necessary that night. Our longest wait was about half an hour, and that only happened twice.

Here’s what I think helped us out:

1) We were there the second weekend it was open, so all of the bloggers and influencers from out of town had come down the weekend before, and a lot of locals weren’t in Halloween mode yet/it was still getting dark later so there were still several daylight hours which could ruin the vibe for some people. So there might be that small pocket when the event isn’t as crowded yet as it would be later in the season (but definitely not opening weekend).

2) It was a Saturday, so we had the max hours.

3) Since we’re APs, we were able to do Stay and Scream and I had looked up which houses get busy first so we could knock those out of the way right away. This worked great, and I think we got through Beetlejuice and Hill House before HHN even opened that night and 5 houses in our first 90 minutes. I do think you have to at least have stay and scream or express pass. There’s just no way to get it all in without one of those advantages.

4) We did the scare zones and shows in the middle of the event when the lines were peaking, and we followed the app so that we could jump in line as soon as one of the houses dropped under half an hour. We didn’t get into any lines if they said they were over 45 minutes, and there was definitely some inflation in the estimated wait times. I remember we made one exception to our short line rule for Icons, so we saved it for last so we knew we wouldn’t miss anything else if we got stuck in a long line. I want to say the wait was 45 or 55 minutes, and our actual wait was under 25. We were shocked (and ecstatic).

5) Following the advice of other blogs, we did a huge meal at Toothsome first so that we didn’t need to eat a full meal the rest of the night. It was pretty hot so we stopped for drinks a few times, but I think we only jumped into a line for snacks once, and we picked that booth because of how short the line was.

6) Covid. Unfortunately I think this was in the middle of another spike, so that might have depressed attendance. It also affected how much the scare actors in the scare zones could interact with guests, so I don’t know if we would have spent more time hanging out in them otherwise. Although we did spend quite a bit of time in our favorites.

7) Pure dumb luck. Like I said, I fully get that this could have been an anomaly, but we’re going to shoot for the same time to go down this year since it worked out so well for us last year. In following the updates around that time, I think the early September weeknights would have given us similar results (minus the extra hours of operation). But honestly we will probably get express passes anyway this time just because we absolutely fell in love with HHN last year and don’t want to risk our luck falling on the other side of the coin.

Still no word on dates? Do you think it will start early again this year, before Labor Day?
who knows
Horror Night Nightmares posted their first spec map on Twitter:

View attachment 654899

(A couple things will probably change since it’s only the first version but they’re usually pretty good at getting them right).
There’s been a couple different ones floating about this season.

if closer to April 1st would’ve chalked this one up to a joke

hesitated to share this here after seeing it on FB. Will add it to the others in the sticky.
File it under if you don’t have anything nice to say…I’m in, no matter what they eventually plate up. :bitelip:

When do they normally release the dates and info for HHN? This year will be our first year going.

We’re just back from our first Universal trip over Spring Break and loved it so much we turned our tickets into APs. We want to come back for the kids Fall Break (Oct 2-9) but they’re definitely not old enough for HHN … is the park scary during the day? We’ve done Six Flags in October before but just trying to judge if my daughter will be terrified by decorations or if it’s still pretty family friendly before the event officially starts at night. Thanks!!

We’re just back from our first Universal trip over Spring Break and loved it so much we turned our tickets into APs. We want to come back for the kids Fall Break (Oct 2-9) but they’re definitely not old enough for HHN … is the park scary during the day? We’ve done Six Flags in October before but just trying to judge if my daughter will be terrified by decorations or if it’s still pretty family friendly before the event officially starts at night. Thanks!!
There will be HHN signage and the scary zone props will be out but no scare actors.

Already have the Oct 27th to Nov 3rd booked at Portofino. It will be my first HHN, and am really looking forward to it. Probably will be doing 2 to 4 nights during that stay. Obviously I'll be waiting until multi night tickets are announced. Having the hotel, air flight and such already booked and paid for is great. The rest will be just fun at Universal. And still have the option of swapping things over to a HHN package when they are announced, just depends on what makes more sense when they are announced. Will have a party of 4 of this year, me the wife and 2 kids.

Large props are covered during the regular park day hhn

Nothing eerie or scary will be seen.

The park will be family friendly until park closes for hhn.

I haven't been to HHN in almost 30 years since I was kid so I'm basically a newbie. We are planning to attend on a Friday in early September. We want to do it all... haunted houses, scare zones, shows... EVERYTHING. Can it all be done in a single night or should I start saving for express passes? I see another option they've offered in the past is the rush of fear pass for about $50 more. That may be an option as we will be down for an entire weekend and could go the following night as well. Thanks for any advice!
If you said October I would say impossible. The event is less crowded in September. Stay and Scream will be a huge advantage if you can do that. You'll have 2 houses in before the gates even open. After that I would typically head to the back of the park to the "tent houses" and knock those out quick. By that time the park will be starting to fill up but you've already knocked out half the houses in the first hour or 2. I would also hit the stadium show at either the first or last show of the evening. It tends to get really busy in prime time and in between the wait to get in and the show itself you're looking at least 45 minutes and you're not guaranteed a seat unless you have express. Also if you are willing to stay late the crowds die down considerably after midnight. One of my friends is a night owl and this is his favorite time to go but I tend to bow out around midnight.

HHN dates are from September 2 - October 31. I’m so psyched, it’s starting right at the end of my trip, I get to go. 😁 I can’t wait, not only will this be my first time to Universal but I’ll also get to experience HHN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter