Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

@crowellaf Disney's fondant is actually top-of-the line Carma Massa Ticino that is not only quite edible, it tastes like marshmallows! I can't tell you how many people have raved about it over the years, and you may find that it is not wasted after all!
I am normally not a fan of fondant, but went out on a limb for a Haunted Mansion cake a few years back and everyone loved it. A total change of heart.

I've been a lurker on the Cake Chatter threads for years so I'm thrilled to have just placed an order for my first cake. I've never had an "excuse" before, but this year I'll be celebrating my birthday at Disney (and celebrating me and my parents being fully vaccinated).

I called the GF private dining line and selected the custom cake option. No one answered so I sent an email to the address in the recording and received a call back a few hours later. I worked with Julie today, texting photos back and forth while she spoke directly to the baker. We settled on a 6" chocolate cake with chocolate hazelnut crunch filling. The outside will be Cheshire cat themed with striped fondant and buttercream piping and there will be a printed white chocolate Cheshire cat on top. I'm having it delivered to Narcoosse's for my dinner reservation. I received an email confirmation with an invoice shortly after we hung up.

I can't wait to see (and eat!) it and I'll definitely follow-up with pics!

We are headed to Disney in April for my son's 5th birthday. He is totally train obsessed and can't wait to tell Goofy not to hit the switch track on MMRR! We would like to order a cake for his birthday the first night we are there and I have contacted GF. They are waiting to hear if they have permission to use MMRR theming. They mentioned we could send other ideas for a back up, but I have yet to see a good disney world train cake example. If MMRR is not available he would definitely still be satisfied with a WDW train or BTMR train theme. Has anyone seen/had anything similar made in the past. Thanks!

@kybec The closest thing I have seen is a "Three Mountains" cake that had only a slight reference to Big Thunder Mountain.

3Mountains.png

I would just Google train cakes and submit those ideas with a request that they be themed to the WDW Railroad or Big Thunder!

I’m thinking of ordering a custom mini cake for my upcoming birthday trip, and I’d like to test my understanding of the process.

I have a dinner reservation at Beaches & Cream on my birthday, so I would call the Yacht & Beach Club number listed at the beginning of the thread, correct?
And I would just tell them I want a chocolate mini cake with buttercream icing and a Maleficent theme?

Are there any other decisions I need to make ahead of time? I have some phone anxiety and some trouble processing what people say to me, so being prepared for questions helps me. Thanks!!

@Naomeri That's about it! They will ask the time of your reservation and the reservation number. They might ask if you want an inscription on the plate. If you want it to be a 2-tier mini cake, be sure to specify. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I'm hoping that the standard planning sessions and tastings are back sometime in the next year, but if not, what are the odds that the GF Bakery can provide the tray of cake flavors and/or the cupcakes they had at the 2020 expo? We're locals and honestly that tray of flavors is probably a lot less work than all of those custom cakes! It'd be nice to get the experience even if the planners aren't doing it right now.

I've been a lurker on the Cake Chatter threads for years so I'm thrilled to have just placed an order for my first cake. I've never had an "excuse" before, but this year I'll be celebrating my birthday at Disney (and celebrating me and my parents being fully vaccinated).

I called the GF private dining line and selected the custom cake option. No one answered so I sent an email to the address in the recording and received a call back a few hours later. I worked with Julie today, texting photos back and forth while she spoke directly to the baker. We settled on a 6" chocolate cake with chocolate hazelnut crunch filling. The outside will be Cheshire cat themed with striped fondant and buttercream piping and there will be a printed white chocolate Cheshire cat on top. I'm having it delivered to Narcoosse's for my dinner reservation. I received an email confirmation with an invoice shortly after we hung up.

I can't wait to see (and eat!) it and I'll definitely follow-up with pics!

The GF did a cute striped Cheshire Cat cake for me a few years ago. Can't wait to see what they make!

Just got back from our trip and wanted to update about the custom cake I ordered...
We stayed at Boardwalk but had the cake done by the team at the Grand Floridian and delivered to the BW front desk.

cake was to be a lemon cake with raspberry jam and fondant covered with a figment theme. 6” base with a smaller tier (it was about 4”) on the top. $146 and some change.

I had chatted with one of the bakery team when I was getting things set up. I got a call the morning it was supposed to be delivered from the person I’d been working with. She had been off on leave for a couple days and another baker did the cake using her notes. She had gotten in that morning saw the cake and realized one of the elements had been misinterpreted. She described it and sent me photos. She was right, one of the elements on the front was wayyyyyy off. But the back, oh, my, the back was amazing. She offered to redo it, and I was torn because it did change the look a lot, but so much work had gone into it. She stressed repeatedly that she really wanted me to be happy. I just couldn’t let all that work get waisted, and was concerned they couldn’t pull off the back and sculpted pieces with the same detail on the same day. We decided to go with it as it was.

They were supposed to put a splat of orange or another shade of purple down on the cake board to help it look finished instead of piping the cake down or putting another piped effect at the base. The second baker mis-interpreted it and thought the splat effect was supposed to look like paint on the cake. She also missed the colors, but I can see if she thought it was supposed to be a paint splat, why she went with more colors.

When we set it out to surprise DS we had the back of the cake facing him and it worked out ok.

Here’s what I sent for our initial conversation...

And the actual cake...

Attachments

• CF122386-DDDD-4AC8-A50E-D980566F7EB9.jpeg
    CF122386-DDDD-4AC8-A50E-D980566F7EB9.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 257
  • 3D950579-A115-4391-BD05-951B1C8CF785.jpeg
    3D950579-A115-4391-BD05-951B1C8CF785.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 262
  • E31716FD-6C8F-4E86-82C2-9DCCB2774BA2.jpeg
    E31716FD-6C8F-4E86-82C2-9DCCB2774BA2.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 260
I just got off the phone with Gloriamar at The Grand Floridian for my parent's surprise Anniversary cake for our dinner at Narcoosee's on March 22.

The plan:

A six inch cake, Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Buttercream, and "Mickey Themed" red and yellow fondant, with a silhouette of Mikey & Minnie kissing on the side and "Happily Ever After" written on the top.

She said this should come to $65 plus tax, which is FAR less than I expected and now I'm going to have to get my parents something else special during this trip I GUESS.

I'm very excited, this is my first time doing a cake (though I've been lurking on this board for years!) and I'll be sure to share pics as soon as I have them.

Got my birthday cake tonight (March 11) at Beaches & Cream!!

Ordered a 2-tier mini cake, chocolate with purple buttercream and a Maleficent theme. Quoted price was $40, total cost was $49.80 with tax and automatic 18% gratuity (which would’ve been a nice heads-up, but whatever)

Tools of the trade:

It’s so perfect!!

It’s got glitter!!

I was also Maleficent-themed (the flames on the mask are much more limey in person)

Yummy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter