OFFICIAL New Animal Kingdom Experiences UPDATE 5/28: Reports from first night in Post #2

The problem is that when you revisit a post, you get taken to the end and have to know whether to revisit the first page. I'm not sure if we even get alerts when a post you've seen already is edited.

I am trying to make it a little bit easier. I will be posting UPDATED followed by the date in the title if there is major news. Other than that, if I add anything new to the first post I will be writing it in red font. So if you want to start at the first post whenever you look at the thread you will be able to scan through the first post in seconds to check for the red font.

@OhioStateBuckeye Would you mind putting "(Updated 3/18/15)" -- or yknow whatever date -- in the thread title for major updates?

Edit: it's 2016 isn't it.......

Sadly, it is 2016. I will edit the title if there is a major announcement. Major includes FP or ADR reservations being available, things like that. Otherwise I'll just add new things in red font to the first post, I'll most likely leave new stuff in red font for 3-4 days.

Thanks so much for putting together all of this info in one place! I didn't realize that the Discovery Island Carnivale and Harambe Wildlife Parti were separate events. Of course they are different areas of the park, but I guess my mind just kind of rolled it all together. :confused3 Does anyone know if these are both supposed to run all night, or will they be scheduled intermittently each evening?

Yep, they are definitely separate. Carnivale will be held around Discovery Island, which is near the Bug's Life theater entrance, or where Dug and Russell meet. The Harambe party will obviously be in Africa. It is unknown at this time if they will run all night. If I had to guess, I might guess they will have show times, kind of like how bands perform every so often. The CM participants would most likely need breaks, even though I guess that depends on how many party participants they have, which is also unknown.

So what's everyone looking forward to the most? I'm not going to count ROL, because that should be soooo good.

It might seem odd, but I'm very excited to see the hyenas. I heard that hyenas are very difficult to keep in a zoo type environment, so I've never seen them in person before.

I'm also very interested to see how the street parties go. I'm a little suspicious that the Carnivale one might have black lights or some sort of lights on their costumes since the Parks blog post said 'in the moonlight, everyone appears to glow'.

It might seem odd, but I'm very excited to see the hyenas. I heard that hyenas are very difficult to keep in a zoo type environment, so I've never seen them in person before.
I saw hyenas twice last year, once at the St. Louis Zoo and once at the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston. They had similar layouts, an artificial cave facing the public, with a grassy area for them to wander. In both cases, the hyenas were mostly sleeping in the cave.

Which means if you want to see them, you may be best off trying for the evening safari. They're mostly nocturnal.

I'm excited for all of it! Since my son can't control his body temp, we usually avoid AK most of the year. Only going on cooler days. Night time will work great!

It all sounds great. But the night safari sounds the most interesting.

Hey, that's my zoo! They're sleeping every time I go there. They got wild dogs a year or two ago and they've become one of my favorites.

So besides ROL, I'm really looking forward to the night safari to see both the hyenas and wild dogs!
You'll have to go during the day to see the painted dogs. They're diurnal, and according to this blog post, they'll be timesharing the Savannah area with the hyenas.

So what's everyone looking forward to the most? I'm not going to count ROL, because that should be soooo good.

I'm also very interested to see how the street parties go. I'm a little suspicious that the Carnivale one might have black lights or some sort of lights on their costumes since the Parks blog post said 'in the moonlight, everyone appears to glow'.
I'm most excited to see ROL
Also I cant wait to see the hyenas, even though they kind of give me the creeps after watching animal planet on how strong their jaws are:rotfl: But I still am very interested in them. The sunset safari should be fun.
I also am excited to ride Everest at night, I'm excited to be at AK at night because I have never been.

Haha, everything. Our next trip isn't until 2017, so not only will all this be new, but Pandora as well! We're seriously considering doing 3 days at AK. It's by far my son's favorite park, we spent 2 days last summer and still could have spent another day, and that was before all the new stuff!

But as for these announcements:

1. ROL (obviously)
2. The night time dance shows/parties
3. Nighttime safari

I think that right now, our list looks like this...
  1. RoL
  2. Sunset Safari
  3. Tree of Life at night
  4. Tiffins
  5. Getting to be back in AK at night and soaking up that vibe. We miss our evening AK EMHs!! :)

Since I started planning our trip and finding out about all the changes coming, I am super excited about AK. We had been debating possibly skipping it, but all the new plans (and nighttime hours) has become a game changer. Already the park hours are open until 8:30 when we are going to be there and I know that will change further.

This thread will provide the latest on Animal Kingdom (AK) news. I will keep this first post up to date with everything that is just beyond the Riverbend.

Please feel free to discuss anything you want to about the new offerings, including any rumors or news.

If any new information comes out, I will highlight that new info in red font, making it easy to scan the thread to see if anything new has happened, i.e. if fastpass reservations or ADRs for Tiffin's open.

Animal Kingdom is getting a lot of new entertainment that is anticipated to start in the next month or so. Friday April 22 is Earth Day and AK's 18th birthday. Most of the experiences below have been confirmed by the Disney Parks blog to be starting on April 22.

At this time there has been no news of AK turning into a tiered fastpass park like Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Park hours for AK have not been updated to reflect the late openings. Rest assured, even if hours for your trip say that AK closes at 5 or 6, they will be extended. The popular thought is that the park will have to stay open until 11:30 pm if there are 3 showings. If there are only 2 showings then the park will most likely stay open until 10 or 10:30. Of course, those times can and probably will change depending on what time of the year it is and when it gets dark.

New Experiences at Animal Kingdom slated to begin Friday, April 22:

Rivers of Light

According to the Disney Parks blog:

'The show, set on Discovery River in the Asia section of the park, will depict an ancient lantern festival guided by two storytellers who call forth four animal Spirit Guides: an Asian Tiger, Tropical Turtle, African Elephant and Great Horned Owl. These Spirit Guides return at different points during the show to lead the audience through their journey through the Rivers of Light.'

It is believed that the show will feature water effects (somewhat similar to World of Color in DCA in California), lanterns and large, colorful water floats.

As of this time the show is rumored to run for approximately 22 minutes.

The stadium will seat 5,000 with 2,500 on one side and the other 2,500 on the other side.

The Disney Parks blog has announced that there will be 2-3 shows per night. The show times are pure speculation at this point.

FP+, according to the Parks blog, will be available for ROL but it is currently unknown when fast passes will become available to book. It is rumored that the ROL FP will not start until May 1.

Dining packages will be available for ROL, it is also unknown when they will be available to book but most people think it will be any time now.

We are also not quite sure which restaurants will have ROL dining packages. If you look under menus at Tusker House on the MDE app you can see that it lists Tusker House as having dining packages for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing about that is confirmed though, it is still considered a rumor at this time. There is also a rumor that Tiffin's and Flame Tree Barbecue will offer the dining package. We do not know when dining packages will be released, but it is widely believed to become available at any time. The dining packages are also rumored not to begin until May 1. The dining package is also widely believed to be included on the dining plan as 1 credit, though this has not been confirmed either.

Soft openings for ROL are unknown at this point. If they do happen in the weeks leading up to the show's debut on April 22 they will not be advertised, it will be a spur of the moment thing.

ROL Preview Parties

According to the HUB (the cast member informational web site) Disney will be offering 3 ROL preview parties.

There is a possibility these events might not happen if the show is not ready to go live. It is also unsure when booking will occur, though it is anticipated that they will sell out very quickly.

Premium Preview Event Friday April 15:
4,000 tickets
7 pm entry
ROL Lanyard for your credentials
FP for nighttime Safari
7-8 pm EMH access to Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Triceratops Spin
8-10 pm Event Elements Begin: food and beverage available from Flame Tree and Harambe
830 pm First ROL
9:45 pm Second ROL
11 pm Event Ends

Preview Event Saturday April 16 and rumored for Sunday April 17:
8,000 tickets
5:30 pm check in begins at Main Guest Entrance
530-630 mix in to the park with other guests
7-10:30 pm EMH access to Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Triceratops Spin, Kilimanjaro Safaris night safari
7 pm Event Begins: food and beverage available for purchase
830 pm First ROL
9:45 pm Second ROL
10:30 pm Event ends

Comparison:

What the premium event has that the preview event does not:
-lanyard
-FP for Nighttime Safari
-half an hour more of party time
-half as many attendees
-food and beverages included in the price

The preview event does seem to have 2.5 hours longer ride access than the premium event.

Prices are a rumor at this point, it looks like the Premium event will be $100 per person and the Preview event will be $50. At this point it does not appear that there will be different child prices or AP or DVC discounts.

It is unknown at this time whether park admission, on top of your party ticket will be required.

Discovery Island Carnivale

According to Disney's official website, we can:

join a cavalcade of dancers, stilt walkers and musicians for a nighttime dance party in the streets of Discovery Island.

In late afternoon when the sun is beginning its descent at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park, listen for the distinctive drumming of Latin and world-beat rhythms as they fill the air around Discovery Island—that’s when the Discovery Island Carnivale, an exuberant dance party to end the day and welcome the night, begins.

The Viva Gaia Band and a spirited group of Islanders welcome you to a larger-then-life gala celebrating the wonder and beauty of nature and who we are together—the “Nature Family.” Bursting with cheerful music and spectacular costumes that take inspiration from the living creatures of the air, land and sea, this seemingly spontaneous, free-spirited jubilee winds its way from one end of Discovery Island to the other, eventually arriving at the Discovery Island stage where the exhilarating festivities get into full swing.

Over the course of several hours, the unflinching beauty of nature is on dazzling display. Clap your hands, dance, laugh and experience unbridled joy into the evening—the pulsating bass, lively beats and playfully outlandish outfits inspiring all around to join in the high-energy excitement. Watch as Danza del Arpa, one of the Island musicians, takes to the stage to play the Paraguayan harp, as if calling upon the animal spirits within the Tree of Life.

In the moonlight, everyone appears to glow. It’s a celebration of the night, and a celebration of nature—and it’s surely one you’ll never forget.

Harambe Wildlife Parti

Taken from Disney's official site:

On the lookout for a night you won’t forget? Head to Harambe where “party animals” have taken over the streets.

Harambe, the African village within Disney’s Animal Kingdom park, is a popular daytime destination known for its excellent street musicians, stunningly beautiful theater district, vibrant marketplace, diverse eateries and lively daytime street parties. But after the sun sets, Harambe’s excitement soars even higher with the Harambe Wildlife Parti.

Be a part of this lively street festival that kicks off in late afternoon when Afro-Pop musicians the Burudika Band take to the stage in Harambe’s Old Square and perform music popular in Africa. Clap your hands and kick up your heels to the blissful beats—it’s almost impossible to resist dancing in the streets!

Wander past the main stage and into the bustling marketplace to discover even more exotic entertainment just around the corner, including:

• Muziki
    Located in Harambe’s drum circle, this delightfully unusual goodwill shaman perched high atop regal stilts invites children to join him as he plays his own instruments, dances and makes them official drummers of the day.

• Karibu Sisters
    Resembling regal African cranes, these 3 women add to the rhythm of Harambe Marketplace through elegant dance, acapella songs and acoustic renditions of African party music.

• Harambe Soccer Meerkats
    Cheer on the village’s finest soccer players as they ramble through the streets rallying anyone within sight for a quick pick-up game—entertaining with comic soccer moves inspired by African animals and delighting with skillful acrobatic teamwork and dancing.

• Harambe Village Acrobats
    Wearing costumes of grass, beads, bells and feathers set against a mosaic of African prints, this troupe of skilled performers move with the synchronicity of circus performers as they drum, dance, tumble and climb into man-made pyramids and break away into spinning, tumbling towers.

Boasting music, dance and an ever-changing landscape of performances and things to see and do—Harambe’s Wildlife Parti offers the excitement of an African village bursting with non-stop entertainment and surprises for all who visit.

Kilimanjaro Sunset Safari

Taken from the official Disney site:

Experience a different breed of discovery when you explore the wilds of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve at night. Previously off limits to visitors after sundown, this unforgettable journey aboard a rugged, all-terrain caravan takes you deep into the wilds of Africa, where creatures both big and small await your arrival amid the tranquil shadows of the lush brush.

During your adventure, witness the rarely seen nocturnal habits of the reserve’s many animal residents, including lions, elephants, hippopotamuses and hyena. Spy a careless crocodile slumped upon a rocky plot. Behold spirited zebras galloping silently across a vast plain. Catch sight of a curious cheetah, lazily reclining in the brush. Strategically placed lighting evoking both the setting sun and rising moon—plus side-sweeping headlamps attached to your safari vehicle—ensure you won’t miss a moment. And as always, your friendly safari guide is on hand to share expert knowledge about the animals and their unique nocturnal habits.

So climb aboard, lean back and take in the sights of Africa by night; it’s sure to be one drive you won’t soon forget!

Disney has also already been slowly introducing two new animal species into the safari: the hyenas and wild dogs.

FP+ will be available but it is not at this time.

Tree of Life Awakenings

Taken from Disney's official site:

Beginning April 22, 2016, animal spirits within the great tree come alive at night in mesmerizing color and light.

During the evening hours, pay special attention to the Tree of Life at the center of Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. At various times, flickering fireflies magically appear and awaken the wondrous animals spirits carved into the tree’s towering trunk—bringing to light a stunning visual extravaganza swarming with vivid color and animated imagery.

Witness a graceful young doe embark on a thrilling cross-country journey. Behold love blossoming between 2 hummingbirds. See a spry fox spreading gifts of love among the denizens of a wintry forest. A feast for the eyes, each approximately 3-minute-long revelation celebrates the eternal balance and harmony that exists in all living things, big or small, and is sure to inspire and delight the entire family, big and small.

Everyone is speculating that this will be a lot like the projection show on Cinderella's castle at the Magic Kingdom.

There are rumors that there will be several different projection shows shown through the night.

New Dining Experiences

Tiffin's signature restaurant

The opening date for this restaurant is unknown at this time. A few days ago, the website listed it as opening on April 22, it has since changed to say 'coming in spring 2016'.

ADRs will be accepted and many people are anticipating being able to book those reservations any day now.

Tiffin's will most likely be 2 dining credits, just like every other signature restaurant at Disney.

A complete menu is not available at this time.

It has been said that Tiffin's will have an excellent view of Pandora (rumored to be opening early 2017).

Here is Disney's official description of Tiffin's:

Seek and you shall find a treasure trove of mouthwatering delights from far-off places places for lunch and dinner.

Roam the road less traveled at Tiffins, thanks to a globetrotting menu of artfully prepared fare fit for a weary traveler. Begin your expedition with lobster-popcorn Thai curry soup, grilled octopus or—for those who like to travel light—an archeologist salad drizzled with champagne vinaigrette. Go off the beaten track with frog legs tempura, black-eyed fritters or cheese and chicken liver pâte before planting your flag with the Berber-spiced lamb chop, pork tenderloin or miso-glazed black cod.

Seafarers, fortune hunters and vagabonds will no doubt find new discoveries in the pan-seared duck breast and leg confit, Wagnu strip loin and braised short rib, or the whole-fried sustainable fish. Leaving no stone unturned? Satisfy your sweet tooth with crème brûlée, peanut butter mousse or a classic ice-cream sundae.

For an additional cost, Guests 21 years of age and up can pack additional provisions with a selection from the renowned wine list—many of which are available by the glass—in addition to a noble assortment of after-dinner liqueurs, dessert wines and specialty drinks.

No matter which direction your compass points, you’re sure to encounter an unimaginable abundance of delectable food at Tiffins.

Nomad Lounge

This bar should be connected to Tiffin's. It will most likely open at the same time and is stated to be opening Spring 2016.

Pandora was not included because it is not supposed to be complete until early 2017.

It looks like the hours are being extended for Animal Kingdom. I saw some days extended to 8pm. But, nothing listed in the schedule to reflect the new additions.

I'm really excited for ROL!!!
Also the tree of life awakening / projections

After that, just the general atmosphere and the park in the evening.

Hoping I can go to a preview party since I head home before the 22nd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter