Official Thread For Upcoming Eastern Canadian Cruises

Thanks All! (And I like the new title!)
Wondering,
Has anyone actually done the zip-line tour near / above the Reversing Falls in Saint John?

http://www.saintjohnalacarte.com/index.htm
http://64.49.199.36/showthread.php?t=1147722

I have teens who would love something "extreme" like that but wonder if it would be worth the time and $$.
Love all the info!
Let's keep this thread "front page" forever!
:goodvibes

I wanted to do the zip lines so bad! (any zip line!)
I talked to someone who did and they really liked it.

$60 - takes about an hour and a half.

I am just outside Halifax.......I'll post some thoughts once I get some together.

Has anyone found a good link to a map for Halifax and one for Saint John. I found a few but they don't say where the port is, or at least I couldn't figure it out... thanks:goodvibes

Hello Herman Family,

Here is a good website to look over for anyone interested
www.cruisehalifax.ca

while looking around the website I found a walking map:
http://www.destinationhalifax.com/uploads/assetsfile/Hfx M&C Planner 2009-Halifax Map.pdf

The cruise docks are on the bottom left hand of this map.

I find Google Maps is the best way to get an idea of the area...you can also do the street level view on google

Thanks,
Susan

PS-those of you coming in early August, there is a busker festival every year in downtown Halifax that is very fun

Hello Herman Family,

Here is a good website to look over for anyone interested
www.cruisehalifax.ca

while looking around the website I found a walking map:
http://www.destinationhalifax.com/uploads/assetsfile/Hfx M&C Planner 2009-Halifax Map.pdf

The cruise docks are on the bottom left hand of this map.

I find Google Maps is the best way to get an idea of the area...you can also do the street level view on google

Thanks,
Susan

PS-those of you coming in early August, there is a busker festival every year in downtown Halifax that is very fun

Thanks you:goodvibes!
I also looked at GoogleEarth, typed in "Halifax" - WOW!!!!!!:cool1: I saw 2 cruise ships in the docks so I knew just where we'd be... next year! We'll be there in August:woohoo: what days is the busker festival usually??
Thanks for your ongoing efforts here!

This year the Busker Festival is from Aug 4-14 and I'm sure it will be at the same time next year. It's very fun and family friendly

Yes, great idea on the Kieth's Brewery Tour!! My husband says the Fish and Chips is really good there!

OK, a few more links here:

The Hydrostone Market
is a nice little area in Halifax that you could go, get some lunch and do some shopping - there are nice shops / galleries with locally made goods and some cafes/bakeries + Starbucks

The ships come in at Pier 21 - which is now the home of our new Seaport Farmer's Market - which is open every day except Monday. Each day there are Vendors open - including Foxhill Dairy - which has amazing fresh milk, cheeses and yummy gelato. There are several ready to eat food vendors as well as specialty gifts and crafts - depending on the day. The roof top garden is a nice place to sit and view the harbour.

Speaking of Harbour, not sure if anyone mentioned the Harbour Hopper - it's a tour that goes on land and then into the water, giving visitors a brief history of Halifax. I've never been on it, but my brother and his wife and kids enjoyed it when they visited us. A great way to "see" the downtown are from a vehicle and then decide if you want to head back up somewhere for lunch/shopping once the tour is over.

That's it for today, I will post some photos for those interested - Peggy's Cove and area, + others - if you let me know, I'll see if I can get photos if I don't have them.

I have been on the Harbour Hopper and it was a lot of fun, and informative. I believe thay had something similar in Boston, atleast they did 10 yrs ago. They also have a tug boat ride in halifax. Years ago there was a kids show called Theodore Tug Boat. It was based out of the Halifax Harbour. It was similar in concept to Thomas the Train. Well they have converted a tug boat to look just like Theodore
240px-HalifaxTheodore.jpg
. You can go on Harbour Tours on it as well.

I just took a quick look at Wikitravel. It has a nice write up on things to do in Halifax http://wikitravel.org/en/Halifax_(Nova_Scotia) and Saint John http://wikitravel.org/en/Saint_John. They even have temperature ranges listed. They are in Celsius though, don't ask me to convert it to Farenheit, the DW does all the advanced math in our family.

She also asked me to let everyone know that you spell out Saint in Saint John, it helps to differentiate from St. John's Newfoundland and St. John in the Carribean. (She is picky she has lots of family in Saint John:rotfl2::lovestruc)

Oh, Disney Cruises has not listed any port adventures yet. I am going to contact them and see if i get get an ETA as well as an idea of what they have planned so I can give you some additional info on them.

I have been on the Harbour Hopper and it was a lot of fun, and informative. I believe thay had something similar in Boston, atleast they did 10 yrs ago. They also have a tug boat ride in halifax. Years ago there was a kids show called Theodore Tug Boat. It was based out of the Halifax Harbour. It was similar in concept to Thomas the Train. Well they have converted a tug boat to look just like Theodore
240px-HalifaxTheodore.jpg
. You can go on Harbour Tours on it as well.

I just took a quick look at Wikitravel. It has a nice write up on things to do in Halifax http://wikitravel.org/en/Halifax_(Nova_Scotia) and Saint John http://wikitravel.org/en/Saint_John. They even have temperature ranges listed. They are in Celsius though, don't ask me to convert it to Farenheit, the DW does all the advanced math in our family.

She also asked me to let everyone know that you spell out Saint in Saint John, it helps to differentiate from St. John's Newfoundland and St. John in the Carribean. (She is picky she has lots of family in Saint John:rotfl2::lovestruc)

Oh, Disney Cruises has not listed any port adventures yet. I am going to contact them and see if i get get an ETA as well as an idea of what they have planned so I can give you some additional info on them.

thanks for those links, I guess I didn't realize how chilly it might be on our trip.

Disney politely told me to keep watch on the website for the exciting port adventures they are working on........so I guess we will have to wait and see. I am really hoping that they will have a whale watching tour included for you all. I have faith that they will have a great range of things to do.

pjstevens......In June, I would expect some warm weather, we canuks are a little hardened to the cold but only a little. Some of the people in halifax will likely agree that you will have nice warm weather in early June.

Subbing.... great information. We are trying to get a large group together for this itinerary on July 8th. Looking forward to it.

I'm trying to figure out if my math makes sense.

The first Canada cruise is June 10, 2012
Platinum Castaway Club cruisers can book excursions, spa etc 120 days out which would be 2/11/2012

I'm guessing from that then that we won't see any DCL excursions for Canada until end of Jan begining of Feb?

Is that logical? I wish they'd post them earlier, but based on what I've seen from other new itenaries that probably won't happen. I would love when the whole family is together at Christmas and try to figure out what we are all going to do. I have no idea what to plan for the 10 of us ages 2-75.

I know my parents who are treating us to the cruise want to spend the port days together as a family.

From everything I can figure out on our July 15th cruise the Magic will be the only ship in Halifax but the Carnival Glory will be in Saint John the same time we are there. Is it going to be really crowded with 2 ships in Saint John?

I have my fingers crossed that they will be out by December too, so I and a few of the other posters can do some local research on them. That being said, fear not your days in both Halifax and Saint john will be full of fun and great memories.:banana:

Shubenacadie Canal: 54 Locks Road , Dartmouth. Scenic trails along the ancient tree-shaded canal, which feeds into Halifax Harbour. Fairbanks Interpretive Centre explains the 19th century engineering of huge wooden locks. Paddle boat rentals. Wildlife. Washrooms. Snack bar. Camping. Unsupervised beach.

World Peace Pavilion: Dartmouth Waterfront. Opened for the G7 Summit in 1995. Countries contributed rocks and bricks from cherished historical sites or representing their achievements. Includes pieces of the Berlin Wall and the Great Wall of China.

These ideas were on a great list posted by Marcy Mouse (thank you!:flower3:) for Halifax.
Can anyone comment on these or other things to do on the Dartmouth side of the harbour? It might be nice to take a short ferry ride (according to the website 12 minutes each direction) and see that area! Please tell more:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter