Oh boy we are in our 9 month window

Doodlebug939

DIS Veteran
Well my husband is in the Navy and we are in our nine month window. That means in the next three months we should find out where we are moving. How do you guys deal with it? It is strange because moving is one of the things that I love about the military. The adventure of going someplace new and meeting new people. But these three months are always a roller coaster. The wondering or where and when it will happen is really hard. Anyone else have to deal with the same thing? :dance3:

My husband is retired AF so I know the "roller coaster" very well. We are still riding it, only now he is a consultant and has assignments all over the U.S. In fact, right now we are in Honolulu. We stayed at the Hale Koa while we looked for a condo. If anyone has the opportunityto visit Hawaii - they should stay there. Great value for the money!

HAHA! Just got done with that!! OMG, I think I drove everyone nuts while we were waiting, including DH!! But he was making me nuts, he'd come home one day and say "I think we are going to X!!" (somewhere we wanted very bad), then the next week would be "Sorry, no X but we can stay here!" (something fine w/us too), the the worst was last week--"Sorry babes--only A and B are left, no X, no staying here". I wanted to cry!!

We did end up getting orders to stay where we are, but I really wanted to go to Italy or Germany or LOL...

My dh just retired after 22 years in the Marines. The waiting to know is the pits! Good luck!

rparmfamily said:
HAHA! Just got done with that!! OMG, I think I drove everyone nuts while we were waiting, including DH!! But he was making me nuts, he'd come home one day and say "I think we are going to X!!" (somewhere we wanted very bad), then the next week would be "Sorry, no X but we can stay here!" (something fine w/us too), the the worst was last week--"Sorry babes--only A and B are left, no X, no staying here". I wanted to cry!!

We did end up getting orders to stay where we are, but I really wanted to go to Italy or Germany or LOL...

Thank you all for your replies. That is the exact same thing that I am going through. One day it is prepare to go to Fort Worth and buy a home because I am going on a ship. Then he says oh we can go back to Maine. It is such a roller coaster. We live in New Orleans and we really dont like it here. (Not the people mind you) And I always look at people who are in their window and think that they are so lucky that they are moving on. And now it is our turn and I am a wreck. I try not to think about it. But it is going to be a period of change for our family. I will be returning to work, hopefully buying a home. So I am on pins an needles. :bitelip:

LOL, some of the places you mentioned were on our list LOL. We really wanted Maine, but the detailer said no.

rparmfamily said:
LOL, some of the places you mentioned were on our list LOL. We really wanted Maine, but the detailer said no.

We really loved Maine when we were there. My husband is going on a deployment for 3 weeks and then when he gets home he is going to call or go see the detailor. I said to him that we should just drive to Memphis and have him sit down with the detailor and figure out where to go. But my husband doesnt want to anger the detailor. I didnt realize that they are the "gods" of the Navy. :rotfl2:

Oh yes, don't make the gods mad, that's a surefire way to get to a nasty old ship! LOL Of course, DH is being made to go to a ship anyway. UGG...

I'm personally still thinking of Hawaii...

rparmfamily said:
Oh yes, don't make the gods mad, that's a surefire way to get to a nasty old ship! LOL Of course, DH is being made to go to a ship anyway. UGG...

I'm personally still thinking of Hawaii...

That is exactly why we dont want to make the god's mad. My husband has done 16 years of sea duty. If I had my choice it would be Fort Worth TX, Brunswick Maine, Whitbey Island WA. But I would take most anything as long as it is SHORE orders. The wait continues! :rolleyes1

rparmfamily said:
DH talked to the detailer today, we are heading to Hawaii!!

Well that is awesome!!! DH looked at orders yesturday and the only thing that was on there was 4 orders to HM-15 which is in Corpus Christi. Now I wouldnt mind going to TX because the people there are fabulous. But the command itself has 6 month deployments in Barain. It does not sound so great when my husband has had 16 years of sea duty. Come on shore duty. :woohoo: Maybe next month we will find something better.

I hope you guys get what orders you want!

I hear ya on the seaduty thing!! DH as been in nearly 13 years, with 1.5 yrs of shore duty (we are at it now) but it's being cut short because his command is moving to Norfolk. No way I'm going back there, it's the only duty stationed we both hated. (Loved Maine, Sicily, Florida). What stinks is DH is going back to seaduty of course, this time on a ship. (before he was w/squadrons)

Don't you love being a military wife?! LOL (actually, I really do!!!)

rparmfamily said:
I hope you guys get what orders you want!

I hear ya on the seaduty thing!! DH as been in nearly 13 years, with 1.5 yrs of shore duty (we are at it now) but it's being cut short because his command is moving to Norfolk. No way I'm going back there, it's the only duty stationed we both hated. (Loved Maine, Sicily, Florida). What stinks is DH is going back to seaduty of course, this time on a ship. (before he was w/squadrons)

Don't you love being a military wife?! LOL (actually, I really do!!!)

So you going to stay in Florida? My husband has thought about worst case scenario of him having to go to HM-15. He would go to Barain for 6month dets. He has considered us moving to Fort Worth which is where we want to be when he retires. (After this next 4 year tour) It is a 6 hour drive. I would hate to be away from him when he not on dept.

When did you live in Maine?

hi just wanted to pop in. my son in law is in Army, right now hes in iraq. he was home on leave this past april for 2 weeks, thats when our 1st grandchild was born. we have a new grandson. my son in law is supposed to heading back to fort hood in nov. sometime. i dont know how long they will be there, if it will be a couple of weeks or longer. but my daughter told me that she thinks they will have to move to i think she said Georgia???? when he went back to iraq the baby was 1 week coupld ofdays old. oh god , hes so big now and started to smile and google at all of us. it will be nice when he gets back so he can be with them again. but i am already depressed cause i dont know how i can handle their moving. we all see them every day. i usually have the baby over every day. i try not to dwell right now, cause i just want my son in law and all the guys to make it home safe. i hope you guys dont mind my babbling...............thanks................

Dopey's twin Dippy said:
hi just wanted to pop in. my son in law is in Army, right now hes in iraq. he was home on leave this past april for 2 weeks, thats when our 1st grandchild was born. we have a new grandson. my son in law is supposed to heading back to fort hood in nov. sometime. i dont know how long they will be there, if it will be a couple of weeks or longer. but my daughter told me that she thinks they will have to move to i think she said Georgia???? when he went back to iraq the baby was 1 week coupld ofdays old. oh god , hes so big now and started to smile and google at all of us. it will be nice when he gets back so he can be with them again. but i am already depressed cause i dont know how i can handle their moving. we all see them every day. i usually have the baby over every day. i try not to dwell right now, cause i just want my son in law and all the guys to make it home safe. i hope you guys dont mind my babbling...............thanks................

I dont mind you "babbling" at all. Military life is hard. It is hard on our families and our kids. But I love it most days. I love moving every few years. My mom used to get upset when ever we seem to move farther and farther from her. But now she has gotten used to it. She is just a plane ticket where ever we go in the US. Sending well wishes to your and your family. Keep us informed about how things go!!!

Still no orders for my husband. I am sure they are out there somewhere. :sail:

I feel your pain, we are Maine right now (PNSY) and we finally got DH's retirement approval 14 months and counting. One more move down to Norfolk (ick), then we will be done. But then the stress starts are again, where to get a civilian job?? I think that is the scarest move of them all.

Good luck with your orders, I hope it's what you want. Are they still detailing up to Brunswick even though they are going to close?

jckdisneybound said:
I feel your pain, we are Maine right now (PNSY) and we finally got DH's retirement approval 14 months and counting. One more move down to Norfolk (ick), then we will be done. But then the stress starts are again, where to get a civilian job?? I think that is the scarest move of them all.

Good luck with your orders, I hope it's what you want. Are they still detailing up to Brunswick even though they are going to close?

I have still seen orders for other rates that are still going ot Brunswick. We really loved it there. But because this is my husbands retirement tour I would like to go somewhere that the government can pay our house note for a few years. I have not been to Virginia, yet I should say. When he retires and he has to get a different job I dont know what he will do. I am almost done with college myself. :cloud9: I attend Southern New Hampshire University because they had a campus in Brunswick and then just rolled into distance ed when we moved down here. So if we are settled this next move then hopefully :goodvibes I will get a good job that along with his retirement can support us while he finishes school. He supported me this long I gues I can do my part. :rolleyes1 Nah I am joking we each do our part. I really wanted to go to Texas but it is really a longshot at this point but I will try most places.

Oh yes, there are still orders coming up to BNAS. Friends of ours just got some. Lucky dogs, we wanted Maine one last time too!! (we are all squadron people). I think they aren't sending up as many people, but those planes are still doing their jobs and still need crews.

We are off to Hawaii--can't complain about that!! We have to be there in nearly 6 months--WOW!

Hey Doodle--when were you guys at BNAS? We were there 01-03. Have lots of friends in the area still too!

rparmfamily said:
Hey Doodle--when were you guys at BNAS? We were there 01-03. Have lots of friends in the area still too!

Let me see, we were there from 1997 to 2003 I think. My husband was at VQ-11 and AIMD (TAD from VP-92). When VQ closed they just kind of fit him in where ever they could.

I would love to try Whitbey Island too. That looks a lot like Maine. I am hopeing that we find out where ever it is that we are going in the next 30 days. We would like to move me and the kids during Christmas Break so that they can start a new school after break rather then February or March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter