oh poop.....

I saw that earlier. I am still trying to figure out what the heck he was thinking about pulling in so close to the overhang. He had plenty of room on the outside. He was lucky to get out without injury to him or his child.

At least the fiver wasn't hurt too bad, just a nose cone.... LOL

I would have hated to see that station if a hurricane (even a small one) came near it, geesh!

that video was of me, before I started doing a job for the better good of the community and making pull thru sites everywhere.

This is exactly why I believe there needs to be a special certification on your driver license for towing anything above an 8 foot utility trailer or driving any kind of RV. It should be a national requirement much the same as being over 21 to drink, or the state loses road funding from the Nat'l Gov't.

In Florida... you have to have a special certification to drive a motorcycle, but not a 45' Class A motorhome. It really scares me to see an 85 year old person who has compromised reaction time, and that can barely walk, driving a huge motorhome. (or even a car for that matter).

Here is the article that was with the video on youtube.

FROM SHELBY COUNTY TODAY:
At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling
a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In
on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground.
Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his
10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured.

According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side
when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank
awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling
against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the
seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling.

Mark Ivy of Texas State Bank stated that the main lobby would be open
for business while the drive-in is being repaired

WOW!!! All I will say that is the power of a cummins diesel and glad the people are ok.

For those who remember.... the Bus Stop now located at the entrance to the 500 loop used to be located across the street between the entrance & exit to the 300 loop. In a one week vacation (December 2001) we saw the old Bus Stop nailed twice by people turning left into the 300 loop with their 5'ers. The first one just crushed the corner of the shelter. The second made the whole shelter lean!!:eek: The shelter was roped off, and benches placed across the street. One month later, the old was gone & the new one was built!! When you drive anything big it's always a good idea to make a W-I-D-E left!!!

Yep, even with my little trailer, I have to watch it. I was pulling into a gas station on the way home, and something told me to stop. This station had some huge concrete pump protectors. I couldn't pull into the pumps straight, and if I had kept going, I would have crunched the side of my camper.

This is exactly why I believe there needs to be a special certification on your driver license for towing anything above an 8 foot utility trailer or driving any kind of RV. It should be a national requirement much the same as being over 21 to drink, or the state loses road funding from the Nat'l Gov't.

In Florida... you have to have a special certification to drive a motorcycle, but not a 45' Class A motorhome. It really scares me to see an 85 year old person who has compromised reaction time, and that can barely walk, driving a huge motorhome. (or even a car for that matter).

I couldn't agree more with you Deb. My husband and I both have class A CDL's to drive our semi/5ver. With the popularity of huge trailers/5vers it's becoming more common to see MDT's (mid duty trucks) and HDT's (heavy duty trucks~semi's) as tow vehicles. There is a whole culture going that gets around having a CDL to legally drive these by installing porta potty's , refrigerators and a wash basin inside the sleeper area of the truck and calling it a MH. I'm sorry--but this is just wrong IMHO--- YOU ARE STILL DRIVING A VERY LARGE AND DANGEROUS VEHICLE and need the precautions and experience of having a CDL .

My DH never had a CDL, but he drove huge cable & bucket trucks for the telco. Of course, he couldn't do that without telco training which thankfully, they provided. He never had to get a CDL licence to drive those trucks.

I can drive our MH in a pinch if I had to (and I have HAD to), but I'm not comfortable doing so. I was fine when we had a class C, but the Class A is more than I'm comfortable with. Our current MH is a 32', which I will drive. Our previous was a 45', which I absolutely wouldn't drive. If we had been in a pinch with the big one, I would have had to hire someone to drive it home.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Wow!! Just glad they're OK. Ours is nothing tiny pop up and thats about as much as my DH would ever dream of pulling. Ouch!
Loretta

I have always felt the bigger the better. As long as you have the horsepower to move it.:thumbsup2 But that was before $5.00 a gal. diesel. Oh who cares lets blow some black smoke and throw $5.00 out the window every 10 miles.:banana: . ( I miss cheap diesel :sad2: )

On the way to the beach for the 4th of July week, I saw some 20-somethings pulling a huge pontoon boat (probably in the 25 to 30 foot range) on a dual axle boat trailer behind a 2 door Ford Ranger. Three guys on the bench seat and probably 4 coolers iced up and ready to go in the bed of the truck.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek) If I wasn't alone and pulling the trailer, I'd have set down my 50oz coffee and breakfast sandwich and captured the shot on my cell phone!

On a more serious note, I agree that some form of testing should be required for larger RVs. It amazed me that my family could get into a rented truck and pull a 29 foot travel trailer out of the lot with nobody checking to see if we knew what we were doing and a total of about 5 minutes of training on how to light the stove, empty the waste tanks. Fortunately, I grew up in a family that towed everything including heavy construction equipment to recreational trailers, and it still takes some time to get used to handling a new trailer or tow vehicle.

On a more serious note, I agree that some form of testing should be required for larger RVs. It amazed me that my family could get into a rented truck and pull a 29 foot travel trailer out of the lot with nobody checking to see if we knew what we were doing and a total of about 5 minutes of training on how to light the stove, empty the waste tanks.

It's all about the sales, my man. Not the safety. Once they have your $$$, they don't care if you wreck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter