OKW 2 bedroom or AKV Kidani 1 bedroom savannah?

JessLCH

DIS Veteran
We are not DVC owners and will be booking through Disney directly with AAA discount this trip. I usually book 2 bedroom units on points. The only 2 bedrooms available to rent points are at SS. Last time we stayed there we were displeased by TWO different musty/moldy smelling rooms, even after a full cleaning/filter changing. While we overall otherwise liked the property this was a big enough problem that we won't return to SS. My kids have asthma and I couldn't stand being in the room.

We are doing a quick 4 night trip in Oct with 2 kids (12 and 9). We have been to WDW several times. We will NOT be renting a car this trip. We like the space of DVC properties. Based on what is available for our dates and budget, I am torn between 1 bedroom savannah view at AKV Kidani or 2 bedroom at OKW. We love the themeing at AK and Boma restaurant. The only downside is that it is so far from the parks. OKW seems more centrally located but I am concerned that due to its age and exterior door openings like at SS, we may have the same musty/moldy problems we had at SS. In either case, we will be spending the bulk of the time at the parks, probably one full day at each park. We will probably spend a little time at the pools also. AKV seems more what I want, but we will only get the 1 bedroom there due to price. I am ok with losing one bedroom, since we will still have 2 bathrooms. My main concern is the distance and travel times to parks by bus. Would that be enough of a reason to consider OKW? We'll probably only go to MK on one day.

Thanks for your expert input! I love disboards!!!

Gotta go with akl .. Bus to mk is a bit of a ride but kids will def talk about waking up and looking for animals for years to come! More than worth the extra bus time. Also ak bus ride is so short it balances total bus time compared to other resorts.

I agree. I've stayed at both and loved both but you can't beat the theme of AKL with a savannah view room! I don't understand why the distance to parks is such a hang up for people. Just kick back and relax! :thumbsup2

The bus system to and from AKV has always been great when we have been there in Oct. If you are looking at a 1BR with 2 bath, you will be at Kidani, which is the first stop for the park buses. They are generally empty when they arrive and then they go to Jambo. We have never felt that the rides to and from the parks were horribly long, although the ride back from MK after Wishes when the bus is packed full seems to last forever!

We have only stayed at OKW once, and we did not have a musty odor; and we were there in August. It is a nice resort, and the rooms are huge, but we like AKV much better for the theming. The pool area at Kidani is great and Sanaa and Boma are outstanding.

Have a great trip!

Well, I went ahead and booked the 1 bedroom savanna view at Kidani. Unfortunately, the only AAA rates were available on standard view and, I had my heart set on a savanna view. maybe a discount will come along closer to October. Excited to give AKV a try! Thanks all.

;)I often just tell myself when riding on the bus to MK from AKV...hmmm..that car has to stop at the same light, go up or down the same ramp, and along the same stretch of highway...it is a little mind trick I play...oh, and they have to stop at the toll booth, then get on a monorail or ferry...while I am happily dropped of at the gate. My cup is always half full. :lmao:

We have stayed at both, and OKW is still are go-to favorite for the huge covered patio and all the space - and just fyi the rooms were all refurbished not too long ago, including laminate floors in the main living area, so no moldy smells from carpets that maybe didn't dry properly. I would only choose AKV if the views were savannah, because we love our 'deck' time at DVC. Plus OKW is centrally located to most theme parks, and a short bus ride or very enjoyable ferry boat ride to DTD.

. . . we will be spending the bulk of the time at the parks, probably one full day at each park. We will probably spend a little time at the pools also.

. . . the only AAA rates were available on standard view and, I had my heart set on a savanna view. . . Excited to give AKV a try!

Since you already know you will be spending most of your time in the parks, the standard view may work out just fine. You could try requesting a pool view, which is close to the end of the Pembe savanna. We had a 2BR pool view standard and watched animals the whole time. But, if you can't get that, there are plenty of viewing areas all over the resort. The swim area is great at Kidani, as well, so your kids will love it!

We have stayed at both, and OKW is still are go-to favorite for the huge covered patio and all the space - and just fyi the rooms were all refurbished not too long ago, including laminate floors in the main living area, so no moldy smells from carpets that maybe didn't dry properly. I would only choose AKV if the views were savannah, because we love our 'deck' time at DVC. Plus OKW is centrally located to most theme parks, and a short bus ride or very enjoyable ferry boat ride to DTD.

Ugh, may need to reconsider!!! Is the carpeting in the bedrooms at OKW new since the refurb? What exactly did the refurb entail? Will discuss w husband!

Ugh, may need to reconsider!!! Is the carpeting in the bedrooms at OKW new since the refurb? What exactly did the refurb entail? Will discuss w husband!

Yep, new carpet, new vinyl flooring, new bedding and curtains, and refurbished furnishings with new lamps.

In my opinion OKW is as remote or even more remote than AKV. While we love AKV if it was us we would probably go for the bigger space at OKw over the 1 bedroom.

In my opinion OKW is as remote or even more remote than AKV. While we love AKV if it was us we would probably go for the bigger space at OKw over the 1 bedroom.

If you look on a map, OKW is literally in the middle of most of the parks - it is practically around the corner from Epcot and HS, as well as DTD, and MK is only a 12-15 minute bus ride or less, depending on the lights and traffic. The farthest park is AK from OKW. That's why we love it not only for the space, but for it's central location, just like SSR. We love AKV too, but only if we are doing a 'no park' vacation to relax and enjoy the resort. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter