Okw, Bwv, Vwl

Donald7570

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone:
Our home is OKW and the only DVC we have stayed at since owning. We know that OKW has the most room and love that. We have toured the others and they seem so much smaller. I would like to try them, but wondered if others who own or stayed at OKW were disappointed when they stayed at the other DVC because of the smaller units. It seems like so many of you enjoy BWV and VWL, that I thought I would get your opinions. Thanks

We own at OKW, and have stayed at the Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge Villas. Maybe because it was first, but we still prefer OKW.......convenient parking, and the "home" atmosphere vs. a hotel atmosphere, and the added space. We enjoyed all of our stays and were not unhappy with any--being closer to the "action" has its advantages. However, I suppose OKW will always be home. I'm not sure we will stay at any other location in the future. :)

We are also OKW owners. We bought in 1994 and stayed at OKW for the next 5 years only because we had the park passes deal attached to our purchase. It was hard to stay some place else and give up the park passes.

We have finally stayed at BWV this past August. Unfortuantely it spoiled my wife since we had all the perfect arrangements. We had a preferred view studio plus overlooking the Boardwalk. THe studio pluss seemed to have a little more room in it vs the studio put perhaps it was the fact that the fold out gave it that appearance. Any way we had a great time and enjoyed the stay. It was nice sitting out on the patio in the early morning before things got started watching the calm waters and all the evening lights going out while the sun raised. We are going to try and stay again and if we get a room with a lesser view we may be disappointed.

Ed

If you are staying in a studio, the size difference is not that apperant. The one bedroom and larger units at BWV are MUCH smaller and feel quite cramped when compared to OKW. The valet parking and/or marathon walk to your room is equally dissapointing.

Unless I am planning a weekend stay with just me and the wife, we will never stay anywhere but OKW.

We also own at OKW and just returned from our first stay at BW. Even though we were upgraded from a standard view to a preferred view we were very disappointed and will not stay at BW again. We had a 2 bedroom which was much smaller than the ones at OKW. The kitchen and living room areas were particularly disappointing. Our "preferred"view was of the closed Luna Pool. I would have been even more disappointed had I paid for it ! The outside of that section of the building clearly needed more work than the pool. They should have been applying paint. Our balconey was barely large enough for two chairs. I love to have breakfast on the balconey at OKW, where we always have 4 chairs and a table.

When we arrived we pointed out to the bell person that one of the kitchen chairs had a huge cigarette burn in it and he called immediately and said it would be replaced. When we left a week later, we still had the same chair and nothing had been done.

Then there are the long hallways. We were miles from the elevator and ont he 4th floor so using the stair was not terribly practical. BW may be close to everything, but we prefer the atmosphere at OKW.

We are OKW owners and have stayed in a 1 BR at BWV. We were very disappointed with the small size of the villa compared to OKW. Also we don't like the hotel atmosphere. I know a lot of people do like that and they love the amenities that a large hotel brings. Also no questions that the location of BWV is super for a lot of reasons. For our personal needs we like OKW. On the other hand I have a DD and family who I had booked in a 2 BR at OKW for next March. They really wanted BWV so we called at the 7 month window and couldn't get anything and requested a wait list. Received in the mail yesterday confirmations on two studios"preferred". They are just delighted with the change.(they have three children in their low 20's. I agree they will have a ball at the BW. So as the saying goes "different strokes for different folks".

I own at OKW, HH & Vero. At HH & Vero I don't mind the smaller size, since they're the only game in town. At wdw, I will once in a while stay at BW or WL as long as I'm booking a studio. The difference is not that noticable in the studios.

However, when I book a 1, 2 or 3br unit, I will ONLY consider OKW. Paying so many more points for a significantly smaller unit just makes no sense to me, and although many tout the location of BW, for me OKW has the ideal location (for my trips). I also enjoy parking at my door, rather than hiking a mile to my room.

I do plan to add points at BCV, but will use them for studios there only. I have no interest in ever having BW or WL points - those I'll leave to other DVCers.

Thanks to those who replied to this thread. I was wondering the same thing. I thought perhaps we were missing something by not at least trying the other DVC resorts on site, but my suspitions have been confirmed by the rest of you who have stayed at other than OKW.

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheeheheh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the way you think JonHM:)

Yup, the old "My resort is better than your resort"

Here we go AGAIN:(

okay I own at OKW and have added-on at BWV and VWL - the reason - I like short trips during December - you have to own there to stay there then (I think at that time only)

when we stay at BWV we are generally going to spend the majority of the time at Epcot - walking/boating back after illuminations is so much easier and quicker than having to walk all the way to the bus stop, then waiting for the bus, and finally getting your room. I can even - walking be in my room 15 minutes after the show stops when I stay at BWV. (sometime the boat is slower than walking)

when the majority of the trip will be spend at MK then we stay at VWL. the boat from the MK makes this so much easier. and this resort is so beautiful especially in December. You can see the electric water pagen from the beach here every night.

however if size is a problem for your family - it is not for mind - then I would stay at OKW. It justs depends upon what you are looking for and expect.

:bounce: Ok I haven't stayed at OKW and I can see where people might prefer it. But 6 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom at BWV this last February and it was just fantastic!
Yes we had a little bit of a space issue but our main reason being there was WDW and being walking distance from 2 parks was so wonderful. ESpecially since Epcot was one of our favorites on that trip.
BWV may not be as big but they took excellent care of us and we didn't shell out the extra points for prefered view just went outside if wanted to to see the view.
So maybe that was why it didn't bug us and we ended up buying into WLV. :D
Cheers!
Cybele

I am at VWL now for the first time. I have stayed at 4 of 5 DV resorts - the only one I have not been to is Vero - I hope to hit it next year.

Each of the resorts is quite unique. The dark tones of the rock and wood of VWL settled in the forest is beautiful and quite appealing. The action of the Boardwalk coupled with the location near EPCOT and MGM and the night spots make it an enjoyable vacation spot. The warmth and extra size of OKW makes for a wonderful vacation.

I guess I have enjoyed all of the WDW DVC resorts - each makes for a unique vacation experience. And, for those of you who want a week at the shore will love HH - it is a great little resort. I am sure Vero is as well.

I have not been let down by any of the accomodations - I am thrilled by the quality of my DVC trips - all of the resorts are terrific...and quite unique.

Well said!

Every resort has pros and cons. Buy and stay where you feel more comfortable!

So far I have only stayed at VWL where I own but I've hung out with friends in BWV and took the time to look at OKW this last trip (it was slow so the CM's were happy to show me a 2 bedroom).

VWL is just wonderful for people who like the woods atmosphere. I just loved running there. I always had shade and I could go all the way to Fort Wilderness in a beautiful wooded atmosphere or along the bay.

I will stay at BWV in Januay. My reason is because I plan to focus on Epcot for the one day I'm on my own. Plus the whole Swan/Dolphin/Yacht/BC/Boardwalk area is something I haven't had time to explore in its minutia.

Looking at Old Key West it reminded me a great deal of the Westgates. Soooo if I take up golf or really want to explore the Marketplace & Port Orleans I'll probably stay here. Otherwise it seemed just lovely but inconvenient.

I own at OKW and really like it. However, I do feel like you HAVE to rent a car when you stay there and I don't feel that way at BW. My fav park is Epcot so I like the BW location. However, I usually stay on the whatever is available method. I made reservations Friday for this coming weekend and got OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter