• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We are staying in a 2 bedroom in January for the first time. When I looked at a map of OKW, I was actually concerned about building 19 because it looks like they are directly in front of the quiet pool. I know with the cold temperatures there probably weren't a lot of people using the pool, but do you think noise would be an issue if the weather was nicer?
Have a great time at Kidani! :)
Weather was not warm enough for swimming during our stay but a few people still used it. It’s a great location for the bus stop. The bulk of noise I heard is from the maintenance area across the street but once your door is closed, not an issue. Enjoy!

Hello!

Just booked our first stay at OKW for March. I’m excited to try a new resort. It will be me, my DH, and our 5 month old son.

Does anyone have recommendations for a room request? We’ve never been to Disney with a baby but I know we will have a stroller and other baby gear so anyone with similar experiences I’d be happy to hear them!

Thanks!

Well, remember that OKW has no elevators, except in bldgs 62, 63 and 64. SO with strollers, you may want to request ground floor...but that also increases the probability to get a HA unit. So if you are in a studio and need a bathtub, request that, too, as HA studios have roll in showers and no tub.

On the other hand, if you are in a studio and have a lightweight stroller you don't mind taking up stairs, request a 2nd floor room, as none of them, except in bldgs 62, 63 or 64, are HA, so the 2nd and 3rd floor studios will have bathtubs.

This won't be problem if you have a 1 bedroom unit, as all one bedrooms, even HA, have a tub and a free standing shower.

Last edited:
Well, remember that OKW has no elevators, except in bldgs 62, 63 and 64. SO with strollers, you may want to request ground floor...but that also increases the probability to get a HA unit. So if you are in a studio and need a bathtub, request that, too, as HA studios have roll in showers and no tub.

On the other hand, if you are in a studio and have a lightweight stroller you don't mind taking up stairs, request a 2nd floor room, as none of them, except in bldgs 62, 63 or 64, are HA, so the 2nd and 3rd floor studios will have bathtubs.

This won't be problem if you have a 1 bedroom unit, as all one bedrooms, even HA, have a tub and a free standing shower.

Thank you! We have a studio and definitely want a bathtub so I’ll be sure to mention that. It didn’t even occur to me to think about that feature so thank you for bringing it up!

Last edited by a moderator:

I know there is one photo on Trip Advisor of the renovation to the OKW kitchen, but it is killing me that no other photos have yet to be published. I am dying to see it! Anyone else?

I know there is one photo on Trip Advisor of the renovation to the OKW kitchen, but it is killing me that no other photos have yet to be published. I am dying to see it! Anyone else?

I saw a bunch of photos of a studio but for some reason the admins of the facebook group removed them and won't let anyone post them again

So if I’m understanding this correctly, all of the rooms in all of the buildings at okw will be refurbished by this summer?

If you go on the DVC resorts thread under one called 'OKW building 30-33 occupied' or similar, you'll see someone has posted a bunch of photos of a refurbished 1 bed.

So if I’m understanding this correctly, all of the rooms in all of the buildings at okw will be refurbished by this summer?
They said it would be completed in 2019. But it's only a partial renovation, not a full one like they said.

Kinda glad I did make my small entry purchase at OKW instead of SSR. Looking into the week of Columbus Day and the first week in December all the studios near the HH are gone. Now I imagine having this booking advantage is not needed during most times of the year, but if I was to need it during an extremely busy time, I could use it at 11 months. And I don't think I want to stay anywhere else when I stay at my home resort. Like to be closer to the amenities. But that is just me and to each their own. Anyone else really prefer to be close the HH when they stay at OKW?

Anyone else really prefer to be close the HH when they stay at OKW?

It depends upon who I am traveling with, and what size unit we get, as the Near HH one bedrooms do not have the second entry to the bathroom through the laundry room. And I like to try different areas of the resort. My favorite is bldgs 30 to 35, near the Turtle Pond bus stop. Not much of a pool user, and I don't mind walking or taking a bus when I need to get something from the store or going to Olivia's.

I think most people who are new to OKW would probably choose the HH area for the reasons you stated. Having logged a few trips to OKW, I prefer the areas away from the HH now. Haven't stayed in Turtle Pond area, but many of the long-time OKW owners really love this neighborhood. I've stayed in the South Point section and liked that as well though it is probably as far away from HH as you can get. OKW seems quite large, but it's not really more than a ten minute or so walk from anywhere to the HH. And if you have a car, which we always do, we can always drive to HH if it's raining or unbearably hot.

I'm sure there are lots that do. However, we prefer to be away from there. For us the Turtle Pond area is more secluded. Also, the 1 & 2 BR units there have the extra entry to the master bathroom through the laundry room - which is true of any building above 30.

I'm sure there are lots that do. However, we prefer to be away from there. For us the Turtle Pond area is more secluded. Also, the 1 & 2 BR units there have the extra entry to the master bathroom through the laundry room - which is true of any building above 30.

Love the Turtle Pond area. Swimming in that pool early morning or later on, when no one else is in, is serene. Made me buy into DVC.

Please remember that building requests are just "requests." OKW is beginning a renovation for the next year or so, so blocks of 4 to 6 buildings will go out of service. Currently bldgs 30 to 33 are down, and have been down for a couple weeks. I requested to be near the Turtle Pond bus stop, which normally includes those buildings. I was pleasantly surprised to be placed in bldg 46, while farther to a bus stop, the closest being South Point, it has probably the best canal views from the balcony of any OKW building.

Do we know the building schedule?

Thank you all for the info on here...Never before did I have the desire to stay here....Just figured that this place wasn't for us... Must be in the wording....But after looking at all the pics, and peoples reviews, we are staying here in the summer for 4 nights, and we can hardly wait....

We did get a request near the HH, so from what I've seen, that would be a choice of 8 or 9 bldgs. , correct? Any thing else that I should put into my request that I am missing, or a view or specific bldg. or such?

Also, Is one of the places a quick grab and go for muffins/egg sandwiches/coffee/mug refill in the a.m.? T.I.A DizDad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter