OKW Studio questions

magicmato

<font color=blue>Some of us are just better at kee
We had wanted to rent points for the BWV, but have learned that there is no availability for our time period... but there *IS* for OKW.

So, if you had to choose between OKW and POFQ, which would you choose? We have stayed at and loved the FQ... not sure what OKW would be like. It seems... less Disney. Am I correct?

I haven't stayed at POFQ, but we just stayed in a studio at OKW for the first time the first week of June and we had a great time. The room is bigger than what you would have a POFQ, from the reports and stats I've read, plus you will have a mini fridge (about 2 1/2 feet tall), a full size coffee pot, a small microwave, a toaster, a wet bar sink, dishwashing detergent, paper towels, hand towel, and a small amount of paper products (plates, bowls, utensils) that I don't think you would have at POFQ. Check out allearsnet.com for some photos of OKW under their accomodations section.

I'm sure plenty of OKW owners would beg to differ in your description of "less Disney" but we're renting pts and staying at BWV and when we discussed staying at OKW DH wouldn't hear of it because he says it feels more like condos that aren't on disney property. I personally like the more laid back feel of it, and the new pool slide is pretty cool. I guess the major downside to staying there IMO is the location- Only buses to the parks. I would definetly stay there over POFQ though because the rooms are larger w/more amenities,etc.

Our home resort used to be OKW. We stayed there 2 times before we bought our shares. We really enjoyed it. It is more of a laid back resort. It still has the disney feel but it also has the feel as if your at the beach in a really nice condo. If we could swing it I'd stay there again for sure. I really miss it there. Also keep in mind that w/ a DVC resort you don't get maid service everyday. You get fresh linen every other day I believe? Not quite sure on that! Happy Planning!

The OKW studio is a nice size and although I really like POFQ, I would choose OKW over it. The bathroom is very large. There is a nice balcony to relax on. The room includes a small fridge, microwave and coffeemaker as well as a hair dryer in the bathroom. The room is decorated in relaxing colors - celadon green, light peach and pinks. The resort itself has a great restaurant - Olivia's - as well as "neighborhood" pools and the main pool with a new slide. Bus transportation is easy and relatively painless. You can travel to DTD by boat if you wish. I am rather biased, but OKW is my favorite Disney resort - and I've stayed in most of them at this point!

the only thing that POFQ has that OKW doesn't is a food court.

Otherwise OKW wins hands down.

It is a lovely resort - will remind you alot of POR.

OKW now has a slide.

at each quiet pool (there are 3), there is a playground, grill, spa tub. FQ has one.

the main pool has the slide, spa tub, sauna in the lighthouse, playground in the sand, basketball (half a court), volleyball, shuffle board, tennis courts, a fitness center (small).

You can also get a massage here. there is a community hall, plus you can rent a bike or a boat.

We recently stayed at POFQ for the first time and LOVED this resort. It was beautiful, quiet, great bus service, etc. That said, if I had the chance to stay at OKW instead, I would in a heart beat. Everyone else here has told you all that the OKW studio will have in it, but the one thing that amazed me when we stayed there last April was that even the studios feel so HUGE compared to a hotel room. Its like being in a home away from home. If we wanted a snack at midnight, we had a mmicrowave or toaster to heat it up. Fresh coffe in the morning in a real sized coffee pot was a HUGE hit for hubby and I that drink one HUGE cup each at home each morning (which meant two pots of coffee at POFQ).

If having your beds made for you and fresh towels every day is a must then DONT do DVC unless you are willing to pay for the extra daily housekeeping. For some people, this makes it less a vacation. For us, it was nice not to have to keep our stuff orderly and out of the way every day. We stayed neat, but it was at our leisure, not someone else's time schedule.

The grounds at OKW are just as amazing as POFQ and my sons loved the pool area and Hospitality House area. Olivia's is a very nice restaurant AND for breakfast (which is all we had there this time) it was really well priced by Disney standards.

Hope you enjoy your vacation either way you decide!

I like PORFQ a lot - lovely place! But...if I had to choose any moderate and any DVC, I'd choose DVC for the room. And my home resort of OKW is a no-brainer to me.

The only downside is the lack of daily housekeeping, but you can get that for a fee.

I was a die hard fan of POR - probably stayed over 150 nights there over the years. I stayed at OKW earlier this year on rented points, and about a week later decided to buy a DVC resale for OKW!

As others have said, it's personal choice. I liked the neighbourhood feel. I stay in a hotel room 21+ nights/month, so I enjoy the extra space and open feel to OKW. The lack of daily housekeeping service doesn't bother me, since I don't get my room serviced while I am staying at hotels for work. I also keep my room very clean, make my bed daily, etc. If that is an issue for you, it is something to consider.

Even though OKW is quite large, it felt very quiet and relaxed. I had breakfast at Olivia's one Sunday morning and was the only person sitting outside.

While I still like so much about POR, the size of the studio at OKW, the kitchen area, and full service restaurant won me over.

Ok, I understand that one thing you give up is daily housekeeping... no big deal, we are fairly clean and will only be there 4 nights... but, if we needed them, could we get fresh towels, or is that a charge?

that is an extra charge - I think $6 - for 4 towels, hand towels, wash clothes.

just bring your own detergent (and I like fabric softenor) - when you go to the pool take a load and wash them (the washer/dryer is free).

all the pools have their own towels. So you don't need to bring a towel from the room to the pool. Like you do for the quiet pools at the moderates and value resorts.

Also at OKW the housekeepers are out and about during the day. I have asked them once to twice for an extra towel and they have always been accomodating. If you need any extra paper or other supplies they will bring it to the door. In a towel emergency there are always clean towels stacked at the pools.

OKW has 3 beautiful quiet pools plus the main pool with slide. Every studio has a small private balcony to the back plus parking right out front-- the best of both worlds! No one will be stomping past your door... I love the Moderates and stay at Po-R a lot to save DVC points, but there is NO comparing the rooms. The teeny bathrooms at the Mods are bad. OKW has a beautiful spacious bathroom, a giant closet and a kitchenette to boot, plus QUEEN beds.

CHOOSE OKW!

Will you have a car? If so, the POFQ food court is just a couple minutes away. We've used it when staying at OKW.

If you are staying on points, can you charge to your room like you can at any other resort at Disney?

My thoughts to the OP is do you want a hotel room or more of a condo feel? POFQ is one of my favorite WDW resorts. I like the New Orleans theme, the food court (miss Bonfamilles though :( ), etc. I am an OKW owner & love our stays there.

Someone else asked about a car. We almost always have our car & usually go to the food court at POFQ once or twice a trip to eat, walk around, etc.

Well, I would prefer OKW, but everyone else I am traveling with seems to want two connecting rooms, so that is out for our budget.

I called AAA and FQ is currently all booked for our dates, so we need to either go with Riverside, or figure out a new place to stay. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter