OKW v. VWL

mapny

Mouseketeer
We are members at OKW, which we love, but I'd like to try VWL for Summer 2002. DH loves OKW because it is quiet and not near "all the action". BWV are definitely out for him, but will he hate VWL? I really would like a change this trip - should I risk it, or stay with what I know he will like. DS (11) and I would love VWL, I think.

I have never actually stayed at VWL but did tour it before we bought while staying at OKW on rented points. I thought I would prefer OKW because of the atmosphere but fell in love with WL. It really seems secluded, I actually thought OKW seemed busier. Maybe it the huge pine trees our massiveness of the resort itself. I think your DH will be fine if you stay at VWL. It is an amazing place. Sure doesn't seem like your in Florida, right next to the MK.

One other thing-I think I must have had the noisest room at OKW. It was a studio in building 45 right by the road. We would go to bed early to get up early and I woould hear buses for what seemed like 2 hours every 5 minutes. I thought I would go crazy. It was also a very long walk to a pool from where we were.

For the most part, both of these resorts are very serene and restful.

What will be nice about VWL in the summer is that it's fully enclosed. You won't have to deal with the intense heat of Orlando from the moment that you open the door.

VWL:
Surrounded by trees on three sides, by Bay Lake on the fourth. There is no through traffic, and no nearby roads. The loudest sound you will hear will be the hourly gush of the geyser. If you get the chance to watch the sunrise over the lake, you can actually hear the splash of ducks landing on the water while hot air ballons float overhead. I know this cause I been there, done that, captured these moments on video, and cant wait to do it again.

Originally posted by Geyser Gazer
Surrounded by trees on three sides, by Bay Lake on the fourth.
This comment may leave a mistaken impression about the Villas at Wilderness Lodge (VWL). The VWL are buffered from Bay Lake by a forest, so there are actually trees on the Bay Lake side too. Guests should not expect views of Bay Lake (except possibly for a glimpse). It might be more accurate to say, "near the Wilderness Lodge on one side, and surrounded by trees on three sides."

Guests at the VWL have easy access to Bay Lake at the Wilderness Lodge docks. There, guests can rent boats or take Disney transportation boats to the Magic Kingdom, Fort Wilderness, and Contemporary Resort.

One of the reasons that we bought at VWL was the fact that it was so quiet and peaceful. I think your DH will like it just fine!

Just having gotten back from our first trip home to VWL.....I must say it is spectacular. If your husband wants to be away from all the hustle and bustle....it is the place to go. Especially in the Villas! It is surely a different experience than OKW (not tropical themed and all) but that did nothing but improve our vacation. DH and I are big fans of the VWL. We plan to return many times as it is our home resort!!

We are OKW owners, but just stayed at VWL a couple of months ago, & I absolutely LOVED VWL.

Doesn't mean it is better, just a different atmosphere. Quiet. Relaxed. Quiet. Relaxed. Quiet..... well, you get the picture.

The lobby area of VWL is homey, quiet, rela... well, you get the picture (again)

It's a wonderful area to "decompress" in, sit, have a soda or cup of coffee, read the paper, listen to Aaron Copeland music over the P.A.. See some lovely decor, nice old photos, even a couple of cars from the train set Walt Disney had behinfd his house in the 50's.

And while in the lobby, don't forget to look UP!

Werner is right.
My description was really one of the entire WL/VWL site.
That said, when stay at the Villa's you will enjoy and remember the entire setting which is magnificent.

DW and I stayed at WL last Oct. for 25th anniversary. Fell in love with the place. Just added 100 points so we could book at 11 mo. window.:smooth:

One other thing to keep in mind.. If you are driving or will have a car, you will not be able to park outside of your villa atr VWL like you do at OKW. We tend to use our car a lot and the trek back and forth between the parking lot and the room is the main reason why we haven't tried the other DVC resorts yet.

sgtdisney is very right!!!

We are owners at OKW and stayed at VWL this August. It was spectacular and quiet, but the trek from the villas to the car was getting tiresome after a few days. I would not hesitate to go back to VWL, but be aware that it is a good distance, especially when you come back to the resort at night and the parking lot is almost full..

mac_tlc

DVC '92

'74, '75, '76, '77, '79, '80, '83 (hunnymoon), '85, '90, '91 off-site
'92 DVC
'93 DVC, DVC
'94 DVC, DVC, DVC
'96 OKW, OKW, OKW, VB
'97 OKW, OKW, VB
'98 OKW, OKW, VB
'99 WL, OKW, OKW
'00 OKW, Magic, VB, OKW
'01 DCA, VWL, Magic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter