Old Fashioned Pen Pail Exchange for Kids?

jchick

I Get Tears in My Eyes When I See the Castle...
Is anyone interested in an old fashioned snail mail pen pail exchange for kids? I know this used to be popular when I was a kid, but in this day of email, instant messaging, and texting, old fashioned letter writing is out the window! I still think personal thank you notes and cards are wonderful and so ....well, personal. I would love for my girls to grow up still doing these nice, old fashioned things.

Anyone's child in? I will coordinate. I think one per person is plenty. I think child needs to be old enough to write their own letters, my DD is 8.

Here's what I need from you:

Name and age of child
Address
email address (yours, this is just for my records)

Likes and interests
Do they want a boy or girl pen pal?

I will take names until Nov. 15. First letter needs to be sent out by Thanksgiving. This could be a great learning experience for our kids! :goodvibes

I really like this idea!! I'm going to talk to my kids and PM you soon!!
Thanks!!
Kimba

My nephew is 5 1/2 years old and is just starting to learn how to write and is doing well. If you don't mind if I help him a bit I know he would love this. He loves loves loves getting mail. I think it would be great to develop friendships this way and some I know of have lasted a life time. I will PM you with the information.

Mary M.

okay, we've got about 10 kids on board...anyone else? A few really want international pen pals...don't have any yet! We'd love to have more join the fun!

PM me!

My DD13 wrote a letter to the child who will receive her Operation Christmas Child box. She is really hoping that she'll get a reply but knows that it's not too likely. She would really enjoy this. I had a penpal in middle school and loved it. Do you have any signed up that are 12-14?

jenr812 said:
My DD13 wrote a letter to the child who will receive her Operation Christmas Child box. She is really hoping that she'll get a reply but knows that it's not too likely. She would really enjoy this. I had a penpal in middle school and loved it. Do you have any signed up that are 12-14?

My DD is 14. Maybe they could be partnered up.

Kimba

You never know. One year both my sister and I got letters from the children who received our boxes.

jenr812 said:
My DD13 wrote a letter to the child who will receive her Operation Christmas Child box. She is really hoping that she'll get a reply but knows that it's not too likely.

We are new to the board, but my 7yr old daughter would like to do this. Can you contact me?

Jenr812, I have several in that age group!

Hollybearsmom, I just PM'd you.

We are getting more and more kids daily! I'm excited! I'm going to try to give each child a pen pal that is farthest away from them, but in the same age range. I have lots of 8 year old girls, seems like the most popular age for this (go figure, my DD is 8, that's why I started this...I knew she'd love it!)

I think this is a great idea. My DD is 9 and they are doing this at school with the class that their teacher taught at last year. Same county just a different town. I'm going to send you her info. I don't know if we're "international" enough, but we're from Canada.
:cool1:

Today is Name Day! I'm going to wait until a little later in the day, hoping for more sign ups! We have over 20 now.

i don't have enough posts to pm you i guess, it keeps kicking me out, how else can i get our name to you?

Friends, please give me tomorrow to finish PMing you with your names. I'm sooo tired, I have to go to bed.

I do need to send a plea out for a few specific pen pals that are still needed to have them match up by age/gender:

8 yr old Boy
6 yr old Girl
12 yr old Boy

You know children will have the most in common with another child within a year of their own age...so, if you know someone who might want to join and has one of the above age/genders...please let them know! Thank you! If I don't have any PMs soon, I'll go to a few other boards to try to get some more.

We didn't get a name yet. Not that I'm worried...I just wanted to let you know in case a pm didn't get through to me or something.

My daughter can't wait!!! She wants to start her letter right after school. Thanks again for this great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter