Old Key West... Are you people nuts?

ixna on the oldkeywestwestna! Too many people are realizing the magic---I mean mistake this place is! :goodvibes :rolleyes1

lisareniff said:
Thanks for the quote Jim. I loved reading Richyams posts! :goodvibes

After reading a few quotes here I went back to the "In Memoriom" board to read a few more Richyams quotes. He is missed--by his family more than anything I'm sure. :grouphug:

I thought about those long hallways posts this last trip - but not at the BWV part of my stay. At AKL. I swear it took longer to get to the snack bar from our room at AKL than it took to walk into Epcot from out room at BWV!

We're staying at SSR on our upcoming trip because we booked a studio (short trip) and wanted to have a couch, not two beds. SSR is a lovely resort, but I know I will dearly miss staying at OKW; we love it soooooo much!

beccasmom said:
We're staying at SSR on our upcoming trip because we booked a studio (short trip) and wanted to have a couch, not two beds. SSR is a lovely resort, but I know I will dearly miss staying at OKW; we love it soooooo much!
That's not all you will miss! We stayed in a studio at SSR a couple of nights last year, and while I thought it was very quiet and comfortable enough, I absolutely HATED the bathroom, dressing area and all the doors.

Montana Disney Fan said:
You hated the doors? What the... :rotfl2:

The doors are "funky" at SSR....and, there are entirely too many of them in the bathroom area....seriously.....you can feel a bit like "Alice in Wonderland" in there!! I had read about them before I toured SSR. My guide laughed at me as I went in the potty and shut the door....I just had to see if the confusion was real.

Yep....too many doors!!

:wave:

Beca

The only thing I don't like about OKW are the studios. I like having the couch at the other DVCs to sit on. The OKW studios feel more like a hotel room to me.

Before Rich was mentioned I had already thought of him. We are BWV and BCV owners. My favorite resort is the BWV but very close behind is OKW. We love it there. We have had 3 stays there and loved every one. We bought in 2000 and couldn't get into the BWV so our first stay was in a 2bdr at OKW. I will never forget walking into that room the first time. We had bought sight unseen so had never seen any of the rooms and were used to staying in the moderates. I couldn't believe the size and we had a perfect view of the 7th green surrounded by water. It was a great initiation to the DVC.

Well, Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa is Wonderful - and big enough to welcome every DVC owner who wants to visit, regardless of their home resort! :love: :love2: :wave2: :love:

rigsby25 said:
Is the OKW Grand Villa that breathtaking or better? This year we are treating my husband's 4 siblings and their spouses/others to a family reunion. We want them to be impressed. Has anyone stayed in the OKW grand villa? With how many people? How did the sleeping arrangements go?

I am headed to an OKW Grand Villa next week...I will be there with 5 girlfriends and cannot wait for my first Grand Villa stay...it seems (from the pictures) SOOOO much larger than SSR and other Grand Villas. I have loved staying in everything at OKW...studios, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom, so cannot imagine that the GV will disappoint! Hoping for a water view and close to HH!

If you read my post more carefully, you'll see I was talking about BWV. At OKW you park right outside your room so no big deal but at BWV the parking lot is pretty far from the rooms.
Got ya ....it might have been just a wee-bit too early in the morning for me to be posting ;) ;) ;)
But we have used Bell Service at OKW when we've been placed on the 3rd floor, despite parking right outside. Granted, we've only used it once, but it's nice to know it's there.

OK - i do have a serious problem with the new furniture at OKW.

I hate the feel of the material... the color change i can live with - but the upholstry feels nearly like nylon or plastic... such a difference from the original couches.

Well - I just sit outside even more now!

Montana Disney Fan said:
If you read my post more carefully, you'll see I was talking about BWV. At OKW you park right outside your room so no big deal but at BWV the parking lot is pretty far from the rooms.

Jeez Montana, that's what the valet and bellboys/girls are for. The poor saps, we look like the Clampets pulling in with 400 bags of groceries (snacks and beverages no cooking involved) and 80 suitcases. I pass the keys to the 1st porter too oblivious to notice what all is in the car and we are gone.

Alice Sr. said:
Jeez Montana, that's what the valet and bellboys/girls are for. The poor saps, we look like the Clampets pulling in with 400 bags of groceries (snacks and beverages no cooking involved) and 80 suitcases. I pass the keys to the 1st porter too oblivious to notice what all is in the car and we are gone.

LMAO!! It's so true it's scary! I'll pay $200 for a meal and $250 for a Fireworks Cruise but I won't budge on $20 for someone to move my luggage. I guess I'm just weird. :rolleyes:

spiceycat said:
OKW has bigger units.

BWV, VWL, BCV and SSR - are about the same.

disney tried something with BWV - making it smaller and part of the hotel - they were also building. It was a success - so they decided to make the rest of the DVC resorts the same way. Smaller, so they get more units in the same area.

you can fit the entire 1-bedroom at BWV into just the livingroom (includes dinning and kitchen) area at OKW. so OKW is that much bigger.

In case we have some people here that are thinking of buying, please note most of these comments are in jest. Much like the "fish I caught story that keeps seeing that fish get larger".

In actuality OKW is less than 20% larger than BWV. BWV's 1 bedrooms are 812 sq. ft. OKW's 1 bedrooms are 942 sq. ft. Based off of that, I guess the OKW kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom are only 130 total sq. ft. I just knew those OKW people lived strangly. :teeth: BWV are larger than VWL, BCV, SSR.

Additionally the longest hallway at BWV is .12 miles, or about 3 minutes.

If I'm going to have a car, then OKW makes a lot of sense. Otherwise I like to stick to the Epcot area.

SoCalKDG said:
In case we have some people here that are thinking of buying, please note most of these comments are in jest. Much like the "fish I caught story that keeps seeing that fish get larger".

In actuality OKW is less than 20% larger than BWV. BWV's 1 bedrooms are 812 sq. ft. OKW's 1 bedrooms are 942 sq. ft. Based off of that, I guess the OKW kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom are only 130 total sq. ft. I just knew those OKW people lived strangly. :teeth: BWV are larger than VWL, BCV, SSR.

Additionally the longest hallway at BWV is .12 miles, or about 3 minutes.

If I'm going to have a car, then OKW makes a lot of sense. Otherwise I like to stick to the Epcot area.

I just got back from OKW and the two bedroom I was in was 59,474 sq ft. I now expect that from all the DVC resorts.

JimC said:
To quote an old, but not forgotten, favorite DISer -- Rich

"BWV room are generally 25% smaller than OKW rooms, the points are 25-100% higher per night, the dues nearly 25% higher per point, when you put this all together, BWV dues are 75% higher per sq ft per night than OKW.

Then comes the WOW factor. Walking into a tiny BWV one bedroom unit leaves one at a loss. The first thing that you notice is just how tiny the unit is. We have found this to be quite convenient. Its nice to be able to reach in to the fridge from the balcony to get a beer without getting up. Cleanup is real easy. You can clean the whole unit with one paper towel standing in one place. No worry about kids getting up and wandering around at night without you noticing, they can't take more than a step without bumping into you.

Walking into a one bedroom or larger unit at OKW is breath taking. You are immidiately taken with the splendor and granduer of the units. You realize that you are home....it does have its drawbacks. Young children can get lost in all that space. You get winded walking from on bedroom to the other. All these problems are made up for by the ability to park right in front of your unit. There is nothing better than coming home at night, parking your car and taking twenty or thirty steps to your room.

Many consider OKW the only 'real' DVC resort."

And sometimes people would give it back to our old friend. Such as:

OKW Double Talk: What is said vs. what is meant by OKW owners:

"I love the quiet feel" = "OKW is far away from everything"

"I can park close to my room" = "We don't have valet parking like a real hotel"

"It's a peaceful community" = "It's a retirement home"

"OKW is the only real DVC Resort" = "I bought there before I realized they were going to build in better locations"

"Maintenance fees are less" = "It's a great place to buy if you're cheap"

"The units at OKW are the biggest" = "Everyone knows that in real estate, size is far more important than location"

HBC ;)

Disclaimer: Just as JimC was joking, so am I. Don't take anything written here too seriously (except for the last point regarding size).;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter