Olympus Evolt Series

New rumor - change in announcement date.

Micro 4/3 stuff tomorrow.....E-5 not until Sept 14.

The big Oly announcement today doesn't make much sense to me. I can't imagine trying to get a sharp image from a m4/3 camera at 300mm f/6.7 unless you use a tripod. I thought the whole purpose of M4/3 was it's compact features. Lugging a tripod around sort of defeats the purpose.

To top it off, $899 Euro = approx $1130 US. :sad2:

I sure hope they have something else up their sleeve

Who's excited about the E-5?

I have no intentions of upgrading any time soon but I'm on the fence about this one. Seems like some really nice features but something that could have been put out a year ago.

I'll hold off judgement until I see some high ISO images.

I think it's too expensive. You can preorder the Nikon D7000 (16mp, 1080p movies, 6 fps) for $1200.

My plan was to wait until next summer and get either the E5 or E30 successor (which looks like there may not be one) and the latest PEN. Now I'm not sure what I want. The information out there seems to indicate that they will merge the 4/3 and m4/3 formats but not until the performance of the mirrorless cameras with the 4/3 lenses match the DSLR's.

I'll just wait and see what happens. I'll probably pick up a PEN at some point because I do want the video option. In the meantime I'm happy with the E-600.

I think it's too expensive. You can preorder the Nikon D7000 (16mp, 1080p movies, 6 fps) for $1200.

My plan was to wait until next summer and get either the E5 or E30 successor (which looks like there may not be one) and the latest PEN. Now I'm not sure what I want. The information out there seems to indicate that they will merge the 4/3 and m4/3 formats but not until the performance of the mirrorless cameras with the 4/3 lenses match the DSLR's.

I'll just wait and see what happens. I'll probably pick up a PEN at some point because I do want the video option. In the meantime I'm happy with the E-600.

Hey Lynn - that $1,200 also includes a kit lens.

If I hear another person today say "but the E-5 is a pro body" I just might scream. There is no way the E-5 can stay at $1,700. That would be total marketing stupidity.

Another interesting tidbit for those interested in video, the E-5 can only take a 7 minute video at HD, the D7000....30 minutes.

Good thing I'm not looking to upgrade my DSLR anytime soon. Like you, I do want a PEN though.

Hey Lynn - that $1,200 also includes a kit lens.

If I hear another person today say "but the E-5 is a pro body" I just might scream. There is no way the E-5 can stay at $1,700. That would be total marketing stupidity.

Another interesting tidbit for those interested in video, the E-5 can only take a 7 minute video at HD, the D7000....30 minutes.

Good thing I'm not looking to upgrade my DSLR anytime soon. Like you, I do want a PEN though.

On Amazon it's just the body. It's shown with a lens though. According to Amazon it's already discounted $150. With the 18-105mm lens, it's $1499.

I'm interested to see how fast the price will drop on the E-5.

As a comparison:

Canon 7D $1,400

Nikon D7000 $1,200

Olympus E-5 $1,700

I'm not seeing the incentive to buy Oly :sad2:

Hopefully the price on the E-3 will drop would be a nice incentive to trade up on my E-510 $1700 is way to steep for me.

As a comparison:

Canon 7D $1,400

Nikon D7000 $1,200

Olympus E-5 $1,700

I'm not seeing the incentive to buy Oly :sad2:

Well, I guess $1700 wouldn't be too much to pay if you were heavily invested in Oly glass. Not many people I know could/would shell out thousands of dollars for the SHG lenses. Camera bodies come and go, it's the glass that hold their value.

Hopefully the price on the E-3 will drop would be a nice incentive to trade up on my E-510 $1700 is way to steep for me.

My thoughts back when the rumors started were to sale off my 410, 510, & E-1, along with my kit lenses and upgrade to the E-3. Then I would just keep my 11-22, 50mm, and 70-300 and purchased a used 14-54. Then in late April I came upon a deal for a Nikon D90 that I couldn't turn down. Now I not sure what I need to do. :confused3

It's not fun shooting with 2 systems. Too much money!!!

I love olympus I have an e-520 it's a fantastic camera! Totally reccomend it for anyone looking to buy a really good reliable camera.

Well, I guess $1700 wouldn't be too much to pay if you were heavily invested in Oly glass. Not many people I know could/would shell out thousands of dollars for the SHG lenses. Camera bodies come and go, it's the glass that hold their value.

My guess is in 6 months that price has to drop. No way they can keep it at $1,700. For those that need it now, go for it but if it was me, I'd wait

I love olympus I have an e-520 it's a fantastic camera! Totally reccomend it for anyone looking to buy a really good reliable camera.

Welcome to the Oly thread.

I've got the E-520 as well (great camera), along with the E-30

Sorry MIA. Busy. Interesting. I'm very happy with my E30 and guess I won't feel the need to upgrade for a while, at least. Will pick up a PEN and most likely sell of the 510. Will keep all lenses for PEN.

obm, did you sell off your Sony? I can't keep track, lol.

Sorry MIA. Busy. Interesting. I'm very happy with my E30 and guess I won't feel the need to upgrade for a while, at least. Will pick up a PEN and most likely sell of the 510. Will keep all lenses for PEN.

obm, did you sell off your Sony? I can't keep track, lol.

Yes, I did sell the Sony. I did that when KEH had a roadshow here in Dallas. Funny thing is KEH is back in Dallas for the next 3 days.:confused3

Found this thread on page 5. :confused3

Back with more boring photos!!!!

Here's a few from today.

E-150mmWRL014.jpg

E-150mmWRL025-1.jpg

E-150mmWRL028-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter