Only have time for 1 :Universal or IOA?

If you are into rollercoasters and thrill rides (especially wet ones), you'll love IOA. If you would prefer more of a movie themed attraction, you'll probably prefer Universal. I like both of them, but they are different. You might also want to check out the Universal Studios board on this site.

IOA has the Best Ride in the free world!!! The 3D Spiderman Ride!!! This is worth the Entire Price of Ticket!!

Check for a ticket that lets you Park Hop and then you will have the Best of both Parks!!

9 yr son was given choice of Universal or Sea World. He chose Sea World. We did both when he was 4 but this time we're also going to Kennedy Space Ctr.

Hi Georgia!

We'll all be better able to answer this question for you if we have a little more information first! :)

What are the ages of the members of your party? If children, how tall are they? (the most popular rides at IOA have very restrictive height requirements!) Is your group more thrill-ride or more entertainment oriented? Are they elderly members in your group?

All of those issue can factor in to which park may be best for you.

Susanne

This is NOT just a "coaster" park; in fact, really only 2 of the rides are major roller coasters: Hulk, and Dueling Dragons. This park is jammed pack, and has something for everyone. I loved the atmoshpere of each different "land", and the "imagineering" is fantastic! Spiderman is probably just about the best ride I have ever been on--it is amazing. It is a 'track" ride, simulator ride, 3-d ride-show all in one. There are 3 water rides- one a log flume, and 2 rafts, and they are all different, all great fun. Universal is nice to do once, but it is not something you want to go back and do again (except for Men In Black, maybe!)and the detail to atmosphere can't compare to IOA. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Disney fan, so it takes a lot to impress me, and IOA did it. Whatever you decide, have fun. (If you go to IOA, check out the Enchanted Oak Tavern restaurant--it's really cool):wave:

There will be two families. My BIL and SIL with thier two sons, 9 and 12. My DH and two sons, 17 and 8 and my MIL. The boys are up for anything. I like the idea of the park hopper. Where would I find something like that? Is it sold at the gate or would I get it somewhere on line? Thanks for all the great input!

We planned to go to UE this year but never could figure out the transportation from WDW. DS examined both parks and he picked Universal Studios and so did I. He and I really like being immersed in a theme of sorts and it looked like Universal has a lot of that in rides/shows like Jaws, Terminator, Earthquake and so forth. The Men in Black looks like a blast too!

IOA looks nice too with excellent theming throughout so it was a tough decision. Next year we hope to do both. :)

We have the same decision to make for our Nov trip. The plan was to go to MK and AK... the two parks I think my 18 mos old will enjoy most. This trip is basically for him because we didnt take him with us this month.. too hot! The other part of the plan involved either IOA or US or both. It is me, DH, DS (15), DD (7) and our little one. Is there anything at IOA/US that my little DS will enjoy at all? If so, which part would be best for him and DD? Im not planning on running through parks and walking like crazy this time.. and we have all been to WDW so we can just relax and enjoy MK and AK. What else is nearby that would make a toddler's eyes light up?

Thanks!

Sheila

......Sheila, all three of your kids will like IOA much better than Universal. Don't get me wrong, Universal's rides are fun in and of themselves--it's very much like MGM--you have a track ride that tells a story; like "earthquake", Jaws", King Kong". In fact I think the rides are just a little longer, and/or a little better than at MGM; BUT, it is a big circular area with basically no theming or atmosphere, so it will do nothing for your toddler. IOA is a completelty differnt story. It is also circular, but it's more compact, so it doesn't seem like you're walking forever to get to something. Your toddler will LOVE Suess Landing!! It is bright, and colorful, and looks likes you have walked into a Dr. Suess book! All the buildings and even the trees are crooked (like in the books) There are a couple of rides--One fish, two fish, is like Dumbo, except cats spit water at you while you ride, and "Cat in the Hat" is sort of like "Winnie the Pooh, or Snow White" in MK. We loved both of them, and my youngest is 16!! There are also 2 WONDERFUL "playgrounds" one in Suess Land, and I think the other in "jurassic Park";They are like the ones in MGM (Honey I shrunk the Kids)and AK (the boneyard) They are SUPER. The kids will love Jurassic Park--it's like being in the movie! In the lost continent there is a great show called Sinbad's Adventure, that everyone will like, and a small roller coaster, that we didn't go on--but it's one smaller children can do I believe. This is also where the Dueling Dragons coaster is, which if your older kids like coasters, they will want to do this (and the Hulk which is another land--Marvel comic book land). Toon Town will also delight your toddler--it's bright and colorful theme along Popeye and Olive Oyl, and other comic characters, and there is a log flume ride and a very wet raft ride--both lots of fun. Marvel comic book land has all the superheroes and villains-Spiderman, Hulk, Dr. Doom, etc. Spiderman was the best ride ever, and all will love it, but don't know if there is an age restriction as far as the toddler goes, but this shouldn't be missed! There is a great place to get pizza in Marel comic book land--called The Cafe, I think. Toon Town and Marvel CBL have characters that are easier to get to than at Disney--Dudley Doright, Spiderman, Popeye, lots more;

I highly recommend this park if you can only do one. You can tell that Universal really put a lot of thought, and planning, and money into this park. For some reason people think of it as a roller coaster park, but there are really only 2 major rollercoasters, and like I said the rest of the park is a combination with something for everyone. (I do NOT do rollercoasters!!) I would go back to this park in a minute, but would not go back to Universal Studios--for at least 5 years. Have fun!!
's :wave:

It's a really tough call, although I do feel that IoA is possibly the most 'complete' and 'immersive' park in the area. US has several unique attractions, and is better for smaller kids, but IoA goes that extra yard, IMHO, in its theming and pure fun.

I'm also going to put a copy of this post over on the Universal discussion board, as this will be meat and drink to the folks there, and you should get a lot more opinions, too!

Here's the link:

Click here!

You CANNOT pass up the Spiderman ride. It is by far the best ride in any park I've been to. The only I ride that even comes close for me is TOT at WDW. My vote goes to IOA.

Wow.. thanks for the posts! Im sold :) We will be taking all of us to IOA. I cant wait after reading RamVA's post. I bet it will be hard to get ME out of there..haha. Can I ask one more question? Is the Lorax in Suess Landing? I love that guy :)

Thanks again!!

Sheila

The Lorax is there is a small attraction. You can walk through the truffla trees and listen to the speech from the Once-Ler. It isn't a big attraction, but it's there.

I like the Lorax too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter