Opinions Wanted ? Re SSR

maciec

AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
I keep hearing that the resort is huge (which I knew when we bought there), but I really didn't think about some of the logystics.

What I am looking for is opinions on staying at SSR without a car, with a 6yoa, 3yoa, and a 1yoa. There will be 6 adults also. If none of us have a car how much of a trek is it going to be for us to get around the resort?

DH is totally enamorred with the grand villa and wants to stay there just once. I too, think that it is a gorgeous unit, but I am trying to think of other things besides the unit which we won't be spending the majority of our time in.

How are the bus stops layed out throughout the resort?

I have also read conflicting reports that there is an internal bus system ... is there?

I have to make up my mind quickly as to what to do because our 11 month mark is coming up.

My other plan is to try for 2 - 2 bedroom units at BWV. Question about that .... if I rent 2 is there any guarantee that we will be on the same floor?

Thanks!

1) Usually 2-4 buildings per stop.
2) No internal bus (it is the Downtown Disney bus).
3) No guarantees for same floor or same building.

@ SSR...If I were you I would ask for the Springs building. It is the closest to the main building. That would be ideal for your little ones.
The Paddocks is very far away. I am not sure about th bus system. I think they all drop off at the main buildings before they go on to the parks.

With all resorts, requests aren't garenteed. I have always had my request for same floor met though.

IMHO all the resorts are huge, we stayed at CBR once and had quite a hike to the food court. It seemed to me that there were more bus stops than at OKW but that could have just been our location at each resort. We were in Congress at SSR and the walk was not very far to main building at all, and the bus stop was close. Like conciergekelly said, you can hop on any bus and get off at the main building.

We were in Congress Park in Dec. We had no problem without a car. The walk to the pool and to Downtown Disney was very easy.

We were at SSR in early September and did not have any problems at all without a car. We were in the Congress Park section, which was an easy walk to DTD. The walk to the food area and theme pool was not long, but if you really want to be close, you may want to request The Springs section.

We were at SSR 2 weeks ago and there definitely is a bus labeled "internal bus". I didn't see it much, but it's definitely there. Regardless, all the buses make all the stops.
If I were you I would definitely request The Springs for its proximity to the main area. We stayed in Congress Park, and maybe it's because I'm pregnant, and maybe because it was HOT when we were there, but I felt it was quite a walk to Artist's Palette/spa/etc. You would not have a quiet pool at The Springs, though.

The bus stops are The Carousel, The Paddock, Congress Park, and The Springs.
You might want to either bring strollers or rent them from an outside (outside WDW) rental source.

RE: BWV - I don't think there is any guarantee about the rooms even being near each other. If you stay there put that as one of your requests.

I think that no matter which resort you were staying at having a car would make life easier. Traveling with small children is a completely different vacation from traveling without them. Even if a walk or a wait is only 5-10 minutes. 5-10 minutes with kids is very different from 5-10 minutes without them. We are heading to OKW in November, and I, too, did the whole to rent a car or not debate. I decided that no matter how close we were to the HH having our own car would make our vacation smoother. I feel so relieved now that the rental car reservations are made. I think if my boys were older it wouldn't be a big deal, but for now while they are young a rental car offers peace of mind.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: pirate:

The extra benefits of having a car are great! Especially with a kitchen to stock, you save in the expenses by being able to shop at Publix! You can always get the tired out kids home and the rest of the group can take magical transportation home or visa versa, they can go and you can catch up in your car after the morning nap. No parking fees, no waiting for buses. Extra diapers, water bottles, clothes in the car as necessary.

Oh, I forgot one of the greatest bonuses! Airport transportation. We hired drivers the first couple years we went to WDW, the 3rd year we rented our own car. We thought we were lost, because the scenery was so different, we learned that the drivers were not taking the most direct route to WDW and we were paying for extra drive time!! They claim that the other road has traffic! Good luck, it'll be fun any which way!! :moped:

Last year our kids were 5 & just 4. We stayed in Congress Park with NO car. We do not want a car when we are on vacation. If we had a car, we would not have used it...by the time we all got in the car, buckled up, found a place to park, then walked to the main pool....well, we would have been there already walking, it really isnt that far to get to the main pool or to DTD.

I know at the time you could get on any bus at the Congress stop and it made its last stop at the Springs, therefore, if you didnt feel like walking you could get on any bus and be droppped.

The Paddocks were not opened when we were there, but they did seem kinda distant and very close to the main road.

My dh likes SSR so much he doesnt want to stay anywhere else.

I would go for the Grand Villa at SSR, I think you will be happy.

Angela

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter