Opt out of hardcopy Vacation Magic for credit???

Vacation Magic, internet or hardcopy?

• I want to keep my hardcopy Vacation Magic

• I'll look at it on the internet and save a couple of dollars

Results are only viewable after voting.

RAD

DIS Veteran
What do you think about eliminating the hardcopy of the Vacation Magic for a credit on your dues? Here's the idea, DVC would post Vacation Magic on the members only site at the same time as they started mailing them, and they e-mail you a notification that it's now available for viewing. In return for not having to print and mail the hardcopy version they give you a credit on your annual dues of a couple of dollars. This would save a few trees, get VM out there for all to view earlier, and save us a couple of dollars. What do you think???

I never look at the online version. I have every vacation magic I have received since we joined in 1995. We like to look at them every now and then.

I read the hard copy. I never look at it online. I think the savings would only be a few cents (if that) on the dues per point. Plus remember, there are probably many DVC member who do not have access to the internet.

The online copy is handy, but the picture resolution is very poor. Until they can put it online at the same resolution as the printed copy, I'll keep my hard copy.

Besides, it's fun looking through the old issues between trips :cool:

I agree with TNRobin that any savings would be more in the pennies category than in the dollars. They still have to put the issue together and would just save printing and mailing costs. If putting in a slide at OKW was to only cost a few cents per member I would think this savings might be even less. (I'm not even 100% sure we do pay for it.)

I do not think that the savings would be very much, and they also use it to send out point listings and other information.

I look forward to the hard copy even when I know the information is old. I keep them all together in my DVC bag with the membership ring binder. Love the pictures!

You can now set up wireless Interner access in your home very easily with a base station and putting a wireless card in your laptop, then you can go anywhere in your home up to 150 feet from the base and have access for around $400, EVEN IN THE BATHROOM!

I've already been to COMPUSA and started pricing the hardware...... Now if I only had room for a fridge.........

I don't think your bathroom even with the refrigerator and the interent will compare to your DVC, although I have been in a home in an area called Windmill Ranches (near where Richyams and Dan Marino lives) that had a master bathroom that had to be as big as my whole house, (and my house is 2500 sq ft).

We're just poor shelps to them.

We have the wireless base and card system for our 2 laptops. It is just great and now I can't imagine going back to all those blue wires everywhere. Kind of like the idea of going from DSL to a dial-up connection - oh the horror - lol!!

As to the original question, I think it would be an interesting option to offer DVC members. I may take the option as it seems like the paper in my house multiplies overnight but then again maybe not. I guess I'll have to wait and receive my very first copy of Vacation Magic before I can decide!!

Sorry to disagree RAD, but many DVCers who live outside the US don't even have the option of a good cable modem, let alone wireless internet or things like that, and with a 33.6 modem, it would take quite a while to download the magazine. Also, I am sure that there is a vast majority of DVCers who are not still in the internet and look forward to getting the hard copy.

Finally. How much would we save for not getting it? Maybe three bucks a year?

Yea know, I thought about fitting this in somewhere but then it dawned on me, if they didn't have an internet connection they they wouldn't be reading this in the first place.

I understood RAD's post to mean there would be an OPTION for each member to choose either an internet version or a hardcopy version. I certainly did not get the idea that RAD meant to REPLACE the hardcopy with the internet version. Of course many members don't have internet access but the users on this forum are obviously connected.

I think it is an interesting question and it certainly is the kind of thing I expect many companies to offer in the future as an option.

Thanks for sharing your question RAD!!

Of course we must have an internet connection to log on to the DIS. My point is that with a modem internet connection which is still the only one available in many countries where DVC members live (my case), the DVC magazine, which is a heavy Acrobat Reader document would take quite a while to download.

I think it is great that they have it online, but I don't see it as a replacement of the hard copy.

Considering that it's been a week since I got my hard copy (and others had it at least a week prior) and that it's still not up on the member web site.....I'd like to stick with the hard copy. The "news" tends to be out of date anyway, waiting for them to find someone to upload the info to the site seems to just create a greater delay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter