Orlando Sentinel: Has some of Disney's Magic disappeared?

The interesting thing about this type of thing is that sometimes people notice problems that either arent there, are currently being fixed, or only happen the one time they see it. The bubbles may have been blown off course by the AC (and they probably were). Of course, this is what passes for "journalism" in the Scent-inel.

Of course, this is what passes for "journalism" in the Scent-inel.
Now, I'll admit that I didn't study the article. I only read, carefully, once. But I gotta tell you, I don't see how you can complain about the story. I don't think it's supposed to be hard-hitting journalism. It's a fluff type at best. But I think the negatives (many of which we have already discussed on this board) was more than offset by all those positive "Disney-Touch' things that they do so well.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see it as terribly slanted, one way or the other. I'm going back to have a second read…

While this was not a hard hitting story, it is not entirely off base. Everyone of the complaints have also been discussed on these boards and have there basis in fact not fiction. The cutbacks have affected the Disney magic. Those who care just hope that Disney wakes up and takes steps to correct the problems before the magic is gone.

I read the article and all I could do is sigh.....stories like this fuel the hatred I feel for those responsible for 9/11...and did you see the story in today's edition USA Today? They searched an abandoned al queda place and found more hints that Disney is a suggested target? So we can't even go to WDW to escape for a few days.....

It all makes me feel very sad......

Leslie

The sentinnel does that kind of thing an awful lot, that's what I meant by my earlier comment, not necessarily that the article is slanted, but that it doesn't belong in the business section. Also, the attitude that "I go all the time, and I'm such a devoted fan that I know more/care more than the people who work there" really bothers me (I've seen it here, in the "newspaper" and on other sites, and it really offends me (as someone who is: a devoted fan, fairly knowledgeable, and caring when it comes to the product in addition to working there).. Geesh, people, it's not a contest, and if you think it is, that's just sad. Yes, sometimes there are maintenance issues (since bubble machines don't shoot ready made bubbles through a tube, I doubt it was"clogged", rather, it was probably an AC issue) Also, there is a work-order system in place to address maintenance, and sometimes it takes a while for lower-priority items to be taken care of. I really could go on and on about this for weeks, and I have in the past to no avail. If a lightbulb burns out in front of you, it's not a reflection of maintenance quality, nor is it the result of cutbacks. (I've grossly over-simplified that, and it is not meant to point out anyone in particular, just a general attitude I've come across a few times recently).
Oh well.

BTW, great thread, Baron.

I am a CM. Unfortunately, a lot of maintenance is being ignored. I can tell you that light bulbs go dark for days,some litter lays a lot longer than it really should, and I have heard more than one CM complain to guests about cutbacks, and downtalk the company. Safari Steve , you know the drill...and you know what I am talking about. The Sentinel article was not biased, and in fact , was honest. We are not allowed to take complaints out of the house. The current management is not looking to the future ..some poor decisions will affect the company for years.

Epcotmom-

Thanks for being honest!! When we were there in June,CM's were already complaining about changes. It is sad that all of these changes have occured. I feel that all of the CM's that can still be SO wonderful during these times are truly exceptional people, and truely love their jobs. We cancelled our first trip we had planned in December due to the cutbacks, but have rescheduled for 2 weeks later. We are ALL very excited, but hope our faith in Disney will not be misguided. We are always talking to our twins about how we are going to do "new" things there, and enjoy the holiday season...just in case we can't get to do what we really(they, I don't do rides..I just shop;) ) want to do.

I see truth in what Safari Steve says and I see truth in what Epcotmom says - both CM's, but I don't understand laurenk's comment (perhaps you'll illuminate) about "having faith" in Disney. Disney is a Company and I don't think "faith" is what I'd put into it. I think faith is what I put in myself to discern wheteher Disney is offering the product that is right for the expenditure of my families discretionery income...Currently they still meet that criteria, but I fully recognize that changes affect everyone's vision differently and it could be that a "personal attack" on things that I hold sacred just haven't occured, as of yet.

As to the CM's, I see no reason to expect all of them to see eye to eye on things either. They come from different places, have different expectations and relate to events individually, just like all of the rest of us (they probably get headaches, upset stomachs & bleed red when cut, as well), but they are not robot's and I appreciate their opinions, pro & con.

As to the Sentinel, I take anything the press says with a grain of salt and I take anything said about Disney (a Company so many people love to hate) doubly so.

Steve, with deference to 'Baron, I think it was Mop who gave us this thread...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

I didn't post to have a debate. I know that Disney is a company... an idiot I am not. A realist I am. Why did I know that posting what I did would get the reaction I got. Can't people say kind things just for the sake of being kind, or do we have to read something into everything posted.

The Rumors board is a genuine discussion board. If you post we discuss if we have something to add or disagree with. I didn't rip your post, I asked for clarification after giving my thoughts...

I specifically checked your post number to make sure you were a regular and didn't try to be flip or disrespectful & I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I specifically checked your post number to make sure you were a regular and didn't try to be flip or disrespectful & I'm sorry if you took it that way.
What does that mean? How would your response be different if someone was not a "regular"? I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm honestly curious.

And, by the way, you often can't tell when someone really registered or how many posts they've had--laurenk has been on these boards since 99, but had to re-register when we got the new boards.

On the Resort Board (where I generally know all of the regulars) I always check a name unknown to me for post numbers figuring anyone that's been around for awhile is going to be somewhat familiar with my m.o. and will not get offended by direct discussion, a newbie may not get it (from a historical perspective)

For newbies, I often won't respond for a variety of reasons, but mostly because (1) I like to be familiar with a posters general views (although in this case I wasn't despite the large number of posts), (2) because I worry about coming on too strong or (3) because the newbie is not going to understand my humor (my friends here don't generally understand my humor...Or maybe they just don't find it funny, hmmm).

Anyway, thats my way of "filtering". I love discussion about Disney and that's what I'm looking for on the DIS Rumor & Business Board.

As a relative "newbie" to DIS, I have to tell you that this is by far the most civilized internet discussion group I have ever seen. I also post to a newsgroup that is supposed to be about an activity for youth in the arts (drum corps), and I can tell you that those people are cut throat. The bashing people take on there would probably make most of the members of DIS run and hide. This group has been an absolute pleasure to be around (electronically speaking;) ) and I hope it stays that way. It is a breath of fresh air.
Maybe it's the Mouse influence :D .

We do have a pretty exceptional group here and it goes beyond the regulars all the way to the occasional poster. I can say personally, that while some posters can 'rankle' me on occasion, I think very little of it is personal & I believe they probably feel the same.

I can also tell you that when the dicscsussion does turn South the Captian usually goes sailing for a few days...

I too, hope the interesting, fine tuned conversation can continue without to much degeneration.

I was going to reply also but, oh well my posting count is probably not high enough to deserve a response. I too have been around since '98 when it was the "old boards" which I ran across as we were preparing for our vist to WDW. I infrequently post now because I am not one of the clique members here & have seen the way we are dissed. (no pun intended).
Oh! to be in the elite few!!!!!!!!

For example, Baron, Duck, Plano, Captain, Jewell, AV, etc.
YoHo, we seem to be grouped together more often than not. This time it's in an illustrious group titled "etc." :) just jerking your chain Chad. :) You one-sters will never forgive me for jumping ship... er, car will you??

KSDave & Perrywinkle, we definitely need fresh voices around here. Please feel free to dive in and start typing. Us "usual suspects" tend to have the same tired opinions about the same tired topics and it is very nice when someone new joins in and sends the discussion off in a different direction.

PS - perrywinkle, I think you have location and career similarities with our good buddy YoHo here on the Rumors Board.

This time it's in an illustrious group titled "etc."
...don't worry, guys, even the Professor and Mary Ann outgrew their "and the rest" status in rather short order. Although comtemplating which of you should be wearing the cut-off shorts and halter top generates some rather grisly imagery...

Jeff

These days my build is more akin to that of The Skipper, so YoHo gets the Mary Ann garb.

Maybe someone can tell me why a high school science teacher would be referred to as "The Professor".

Maybe someone can tell me why a high school science teacher would be referred to as "The Professor".
Simple. Because he could make a radio out of coconuts!!

so YoHo gets the Mary Ann garb
Ahhhhhh! I used to be a Mary Ann type guy. But now......:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter