OT: Hotels in San Diego

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
We're planning to do 5 days in Anaheim at the Fairfield Inn. Then we wanted to move over to the San Diego area for a few days but I know nothing about the area. We'll have a car and don't mind driving, but we don't want to be in a bad neighborhood or some industrial park. Can you point me to the right area? If you know of any specific hotels, I'm partial to Marriott properties (Marriott, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Courtyard, Residence Inn).

I too prefer the Marriott brand and own a Marriott time share. Will be staying at the Newport Coast villas in June, and flying in to San Diego. Staying for a few nights at the Residence Inn Mission Valley San Diego. Highly rated on tripadvisor.com, new property located in the Sea World vicinity. I like having more room than a hotel room when travelling with DH and 3 kids. They offer studios, 1 and 2 bedroom suites, and also kid suites, which is what we booked. There are several marriotts to chose from, but this was the best for us. Good luck.

I booked at Staybridge Suites - Sorrento Mesa. It is a ways north of SW and the zoo, but not too far from the freeway. From the reviews and the website, it looks pretty nice. They have several types of rooms available - I got a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite for under $200 (AAA summer rates).

When I visit San Diego, I like to stay at the Marriott Marina downtown. The hotel is ideally situated on the harbor and is next door to the convention center. Seaport Village, Horton Plaza mall, boat shuttle to Coronado Island, and a trolley stop are within easy walking distance. The hotel has one of the best hotel swimming complexes in San Diego. Rooms are comfortable, service is terrific. If you will be in San Diego on a Sunday, I recommend brunch at Lael's at the Hyatt next door to the Marriott.

Does anyone know about the SpringHill Suites at Scripps Poway Parkway at Interstate 15? Is that a decent area to stay both neighborhood-wise and convenience-wise? I checked a couple of the other Marriotts and prices are pretty steep. The SpringHill is category 3 on Marriott rewards and we have plenty of points to stay there free.

disneysteve said:
Does anyone know about the SpringHill Suites at Scripps Poway Parkway at Interstate 15? Is that a decent area to stay both neighborhood-wise and convenience-wise? I checked a couple of the other Marriotts and prices are pretty steep. The SpringHill is category 3 on Marriott rewards and we have plenty of points to stay there free.
I too am partial to Marriott, always try to stay in one.
The poway area is fine, I've watched that hotel being built over the past couple of years and watched the shops/restaruants around it spring up as well. Its actually a newly built shopping area for the subdivisions/homes in the area. The only problem is that you will have to drive on the 15 South to get anywhere and that freeway is really congested in the am and pm rush hours. If you leave at 9:30a.m. or so, you should be fine on the traffic. If the rate is good, then why not stay there. Another marriott property which is more centrally located is one that's near Hotel Circle, not sure what the name of it is but know its the Marriott something, I've actually stayed there but it was a year ago or so. Its not far from the Chargers Stadium area. You should be able to find it on the Marriott's website, not sure what the price would be, but it was a decent hotel and was actually being completely refurbished at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter