"Other" things to do in Orlando

Chelley00

DIS Veteran
After the school board voted on a balanced scheduled today, we are finding ourselves able to spend 14 days in Orlando next October for fall break instead of only 7. We'll most likely do 7 days at Disney and 2 days at Universal. This means we could possibly have 5 days to play other places.

It will be me, DH, DD10, DS7 and possibly DS16 and my mom. We are on the go people and not ones to sit around the house all day, but we do like throwing in some half days here and there where we can spend time in the evening relaxing in the pool. We will most likely be in an offsite villa for the entire trip (although we are toying with spending some time onsite)

If you had 5 days, what would you do? Beach? Sea World? Something else?

Sea World is great. You might also consider Busch Gardens over in Tampa. We did it as a day trip on our last trip. Kennedy Space Center, Gator Land, and a air boat ride through the everglades might be good as well.

After the school board voted on a balanced scheduled today, we are finding ourselves able to spend 14 days in Orlando next October for fall break instead of only 7. We'll most likely do 7 days at Disney and 2 days at Universal. This means we could possibly have 5 days to play other places.

It will be me, DH, DD10, DS7 and possibly DS16 and my mom. We are on the go people and not ones to sit around the house all day, but we do like throwing in some half days here and there where we can spend time in the evening relaxing in the pool. We will most likely be in an offsite villa for the entire trip (although we are toying with spending some time onsite)

If you had 5 days, what would you do? Beach? Sea World? Something else?
New Legoland park will be open as well.

If you have never been to the beach, spend a couple of days on the Gulf coast.

I agree with the suggestions you've received.

I'd pick Sea World for Sure for a day.
SeaWorld is our favorite of all the wonderful world class Orlando theme parks. You can get your second day free within seven days too, just by taking your tickets to one the the customer service windows. We usually in a week long seven night / six day stay go Day 1 and Day 6. It was my son's favorite when he was little and is still his favorite (He's 16 now). I also personally think it's the best of all of the parks for a muligenerational group, as everyone can enjoy the shows and animal exhibits together. It has two fun coaters, a simulation ride, and a flume ride too. The coasters are alot of fun if you like that kind of thing. Everyone in my family and extended family really love this park. I also these days for the last three years have sent my son on his own in the summer to the Junior High (previous two summers) and (high school) this past summer five night overnight camp. It's always a summer highlight for him.

Our favoite 1/2 day attractions are:
Gatorland (previously mentioned -- a three hour place - more old time Florida attraction vs. world class theme park -- but we always have a good time there)

the Titanic attraction on I drive (a two hour activitiy -- very well done and worth seeing if you haven't been to the one of these museums or the artifact exhibits that has been traveling around (all are quite similar)) Most people would really enjoy this. Even those in our party who weren't that interested in the Titanic found it quite interesting. // I'd recommend one visit to one of these for most people. Now our family (DS is a Titanic enthusiast) have sort of gone with the anything worth doing is worth doing to excess philosophy, so we've been to this one three times, plus the one in Branson twice, plus the artifact Exhibit in Indianapolis and the artifact exhibit with the hull on display in Las Vegas)

Indoor sky diving in a wind tunnel on I drive (maybe an hour and half activity / includes a little class -- This place is right across from Wet and Wild.) I believe it's called I fly now. Actual sky divers practice here -- more air time than real sky diving. The place gets an interesting mix of tourists and sky diving teams.

Possible Day trips
The Kennedy Space center (although it's a full hour away) is also quite interesting and well done. (that wasn't true 10 years ago, but boy have they changed things. We just went for the first time in 10 years last March.)

Depending on your weather and time of year, a beach day can be fun too. (Not a half day by any means, though). We usually for a beach day go to Clearwater beach (over favorite). It's probably an hour and 45 minute drive each way though.

With so much to do right in Orlando, for a week stay we usually never do more than one day trip (so if we are so inclined just pick one of these Kennedy Space Center, Clearwater Beach, or Busch Gardens in Tampa). As nice as Busch Gardens is, we usualy skip it just before there are so many terriffic theme parks right in Orlando, and we're not usually looking for another theme park day. If you have big coaster enthusiast and don't have much coaster opportunity elsewhere, some families go to Busch specifically to hit the coasters there (bigger selection in one place than Orlando theme parks).

Other
Our teens (DS) and my niece and nephew are older now, so not as interested in this but Disney has some great mini golf. Pirates Cove offsite is a good mini golf place too.

I'm not a big fan of this, but many in my extended family really like to go to Downtown Disney and look at their stores and walk around.

The evening Cirque and Blueman group shows are quite popular. Not sure if you've done either of these before or have any interest. These are though very popular well done shows in great small venues. Tickets in Orlando for the same quality shows that play in Las Vegas are only half the price of the Las Vegas shows (still expensive, but if you have ever had a desire to see one of these, Orlando is the place to do it.) // Better than the traveling shows because of the terriffic smaller venue. Better than the Las Vegas shows because of the price.

There is so much to do in Orlando == so even with two weeks I'd say take it at a fun relaxed pace and choose the activities that interet you most.

You may enjoy driving over to St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota, have lunch at Colombia Restaurant and take a walk on the beach, do some shopping. It is a very nice area and much different looking than Orlando, much more tropical.

October in Florida can also still be quite warm, so you may even want to consider hitting some of the Water Parks, or places like Discovery Cove.

I would consider branching out a bit, especially if you take regular trips to Disney World anyway. I'd be inclined to spend a day or two at the beach, possibly around Ft. Lauderdale, then a day or two in Miami seeing South Beach and Everglades National Park, and then a day or two in the Keys.

The alternative to that would be going down the West (Gulf of Mexico) coast, as suggested above. Sarasota, Sanibel/Captiva (Ft Myers), Naples, or Marco Island are all options.

The differences between Atlantic and Gulf Coast are real ocean, real waves, and much more going on over on the Atlantic side; quiet, tranquil beauty on the Gulf side. The best part of the Everglades (Shark Valley) is right in the middle between Naples and Miami, so you can hit it either way.

Another option would be a short cruise (NOT Disney) from Port Canaveral, Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) or Miami. There are lots of 3-4 day cruises available and they're pretty reasonable. The typical itinerary is Key West, Nassau, and a private island in the Bahamas for the 4-day cruises. The three-days don't usually go to Key West.

I like the suggestion of St Armands Circle and the Columbia in Sarasota, but you don't have to drive all that way to dine at Columbia. There's a wonderful Columbia in Celebration. And just like St Armands Circle, there's a Kilwin's chocolate/ice cream right around the corner too! :banana:

there are many place you can do. If the weather still quite you can try warm Water Parks,That my favorite ,
2.gif
it must be a good choose.:cool1:

Another option would be a short cruise (NOT Disney) from Port Canaveral, Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) or Miami. There are lots of 3-4 day cruises available and they're pretty reasonable. The typical itinerary is Key West, Nassau, and a private island in the Bahamas for the 4-day cruises. The three-days don't usually go to Key West.
I second this cruise idea.
Don't forget Tampa as a departure port. An example is a Carnival 4 night, $299 pp for Oceanview, with one day in Cozumel, and a day at sea each going & coming back.
Also, was St. Augustine mentioned? The Castillo is pretty cool, especially if you have any history buffs in the group. For cheesy, see if you can get some water from that fountain of youth. :lmao:

Hey Chelley!

Wow! I can't believe nobody has suggested this one for you yet. I KNOW it's not an all day event but it will kill two hours not including travel time and pre-wait time.

Blue Man Group! Don't know if you've seen it before or if it was all ready integrated into your travel plans but it is a TREMENDOUS show and all your kids ... even the big one you're married to :thumbsup2 ;) ... will LOVE it!

So you have a nice relaxing day poolin' or beachin' it then, depending on which show time you choose, you can either have an early dinner before or a late one after ... OR a little snack during the show if ya want! popcorn::

Hope it helps!

Take Care & Have Fun!

Frank
Disney DieHard

Sea World,Busch Gardens,Aquatica,Legoland,a drive over to St.Augustine,a day of shoppping at both Orlando Premium outlets and the Mall at Millenia,Halloween Horror Nights at Universal or Howl O Scream at Busch Gardens,basically there's enough to do to fill the 5 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter