• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OUAT fans, does the show ruin the Disney movies universe?

HoneymoonandBEYOND

Earning My Ears
We are contemplating on starting OUAT, however I want to ask a few questions...

Will the OUAT universe ruin what we think of Classic characters? For example, I have seen people talk about how they dislike Peter Pan and like Captain Hook in the show - whereas obviously in the animated Disney universe, Peter Pan is a good guy and loved by many.

I am curious to watch the show as it relates to Disney, but just don't want to think of classic characters in a different way because of it (if that makes sense), thus ruining the Disney universe as we know it.

I already know there are parts that have been ruined that I am not fond of how they wrote it - as it doesn't match-up to the movie/ original story, so it worries me that I will think of the characters differently than I do from the Disney movies.

Thanks in advance!

I actually thought it seemed a little silly. I'm the Walking Dead, GoT type but I gave it a shot and I ended up LOVING it. I think I like how they get the characters in the show.
OUAT-IW - meh...

Once Upon A Time tends to base characters on the actual original tales rather than the Disney versions. So no. This is about the story that came first, not the way Disney decided to spin it.

Watching it, you should keep that in mind. For example, Frozen's original tale was "The Snow Queen". Anna is not Elsa's sister. Elsa is also not so nice, and not so not evil. Anyone who has seen Saving Mr. Banks recently knows Mary Poppins wasn't exactly some happy, bubbly, fairy tale nanny in the original story, either.

In summary, this show is based on the actual tales, not the Disney tales. So it should not ruin your perception of Disney movies, as they are not the same universe.

It doesn't for me, in my mind even though they have the same name and the characters are similar in many ways, I see the Once and Disney characters as very separate in my mind. Watching the show doesn't ruin it for me! It's another fun way to see the classic tales play out.

I actually thought it seemed a little silly. I'm the Walking Dead, GoT type but I gave it a shot and I ended up LOVING it. I think I like how they get the characters in the show.
OUAT-IW - meh...

It's not necessarily that I think we wouldn't enjoy the show as our DVR has a wide array of shows, but it is good to see that someone like yourself on the total opposite end of the fictional spectrum can still enjoy it! Thanks, it may definitely help us make up our minds!

Once Upon A Time tends to base characters on the actual original tales rather than the Disney versions. So no. This is about the story that came first, not the way Disney decided to spin it.

Watching it, you should keep that in mind. For example, Frozen's original tale was "The Snow Queen". Anna is not Elsa's sister. Elsa is also not so nice, and not so not evil. Anyone who has seen Saving Mr. Banks recently knows Mary Poppins wasn't exactly some happy, bubbly, fairy tale nanny in the original story, either.

In summary, this show is based on the actual tales, not the Disney tales. So it should not ruin your perception of Disney movies, as they are not the same universe.

I am knowledgeable about many of the original fairy tales, but to my understanding of the show the characters certainly don't seem to follow those lines (the few things I know involving characters on OUAT definitely don't match up with the original tales (all of whom are not dark by the way), and it is an ABC show which is connected to Disney, so it certainly seems as though it floats to the Disney side.

Either here nor there, I appreciate the feedback.

It doesn't for me, in my mind even though they have the same name and the characters are similar in many ways, I see the Once and Disney characters as very separate in my mind. Watching the show doesn't ruin it for me! It's another fun way to see the classic tales play out.

Fair enough! Thanks!

Like I said, my biggest concern is that next time we are at the parks, I would shoot peter pan dirty looks, or pity the heartless Captain Hook, etc. <--- this I don't want! LOL

I am knowledgeable about many of the original fairy tales, but to my understanding of the show the characters certainly don't seem to follow those lines (the few things I know involving characters on OUAT definitely don't match up with the original tales (all of whom are not dark by the way), and it is an ABC show which is connected to Disney, so it certainly seems as though it floats to the Disney side.

Either here nor there, I appreciate the feedback.

Well, I didn't mean it follows the other stories exactly, I meant it leans that way. Hence the evil pan, the not so evil pirates, etc. The stories are very much in their own universe in OUAT. I just feel that it leans more to the original stories than the Disney versions. Snow White's story is obviously its own, but I feel it's more the original Brothers Grimm version than the animated Disney version. Either way, it doesn't really change my view of the characters, as they are very obviously different stories and characters. It's hard for me to see Captain Hook at WDW and related him to Colin O'Donoghue.

I love Disney and OUAT. I think of them as two separate universes because they are so different. I love the classic Disney tales and how Disney spun them but it is cool to see how the writers at OUAT spin things. There are some ways that I think the two connect but being that it isn't specifically made to be like the Disney stories I just don't equate them to one another. It really is a fun show, give it a try! If you don't like it you can always stop watching!

They usually take references directly out of the Disney films, but overall most characters have very different personalities and you learn to differentiate between OUAT and Disney canon. So yeah, for instance Snow White is more of a warrior type of character, Peter Pan is evil and Hook is ''good'' and so on. They also tend to break some pre-conceived ideas from fairytales that give the story some sort of modern twist.

Well, I didn't mean it follows the other stories exactly, I meant it leans that way. Hence the evil pan, the not so evil pirates, etc. The stories are very much in their own universe in OUAT. I just feel that it leans more to the original stories than the Disney versions. Snow White's story is obviously its own, but I feel it's more the original Brothers Grimm version than the animated Disney version. Either way, it doesn't really change my view of the characters, as they are very obviously different stories and characters. It's hard for me to see Captain Hook at WDW and related him to Colin O'Donoghue.

I don't think it follows the original stories as much as it takes the Disney version of those stories and then twists and turns them. But for most of the characters they use Disney's name conventions, number of characters, etc.

Disney has discovered a fascinating truth: Within a certain level of reasonableness, you can take a beloved animated character and do different things with it in live-action without upsetting people. I love Disney animated films, but I also love OUAT and don't feel the very different things they do violates the animated movies. Enchanted was great, Maleficent will be awesome. Cinderella will also be good, while very different than the animated films. All will be great and Disney will have 2 versions of everything to... wait for it... milk.
:lmao:

Dive in and enjoy. As with any television show, there are some weeks where it is a little dry or cheesy and some plot pieces aren't good, but overall it is fantastic. I love the backstory on some characters and the twist on others! The doc and Red Riding Hood are my favorites.

Watch it from the beginning and in order. You will have a lot of fun!

They will need to be very, very careful with Elsa and Anna. I am excited to see what they do.

Dive in and enjoy. As with any television show, there are some weeks where it is a little dry or cheesy and some plot pieces aren't good, but overall it is fantastic. I love the backstory on some characters and the twist on others! The doc and Red Riding Hood are my favorites.

They will need to be very, very careful with Elsa and Anna. I am excited to see what they do.

Hook and Gold are definitely my favorites. I loved that Hook got a bit of a saga based around him this season.

The only character I don't care for is Belle. I just think she was not casted well. Not diggin the Australian accent to a French character, and I just feel like she is Belle by name only. She doesn't fit my perception of Belle by personality, attitude, or appearance. All of the other characters, I can look at and know immediately "Oh, that's definitely Snow", etc. Everyone else is excellent.

Hook and Gold are definitely my favorites. I loved that Hook got a bit of a saga based around him this season.

The only character I don't care for is Belle. I just think she was not casted well. Not diggin the Australian accent to a French character, and I just feel like she is Belle by name only. She doesn't fit my perception of Belle by personality, attitude, or appearance. All of the other characters, I can look at and know immediately "Oh, that's definitely Snow", etc. Everyone else is excellent.

I would agree with this. I don't mind the actress, she's fine, but her character doesn't fit Belle very well, to me. That and her relationship with Gold are the only things I am not fond of. It isn't bad enough to affect my watching.

As with shows that have a group of characters that are good and bad interacting, in order to keep the relationships going (Very much like soap operas) the good guys sure forgive a lot and restart relationships again with other characters that were awful a little while ago. But, this is standard operating procedure for any long term drama series of any kind.

Me and my family love this show. Yes, when we went to WDW this spring we did joke that we didn't know if we could ride Peter Pan Yes people in the park probably wondered what was wrong with me and my 16 year old daughter when they heard us talking about how much we love Captain Hook. And I never thought I would hope that Robin Hood would end up with the Evil Queen instead of Maid Marion. But all of that aside, it really is just a totally different story. Its pretty easy to separate the story on the show from the stories in the movies. I highly recommend you watch it. I'm not sure how next season is going to be with the Frozen characters, but I think it will end up being good.

Me and my family love this show. Yes, when we went to WDW this spring we did joke that we didn't know if we could ride Peter Pan Yes people in the park probably wondered what was wrong with me and my 16 year old daughter when they heard us talking about how much we love Captain Hook. And I never thought I would hope that Robin Hood would end up with the Evil Queen instead of Maid Marion. But all of that aside, it really is just a totally different story. Its pretty easy to separate the story on the show from the stories in the movies. I highly recommend you watch it. I'm not sure how next season is going to be with the Frozen characters, but I think it will end up being good.

I was never a big fan of Peter Pan so I LOVE what they did with Peter Pan! C-R-E-E-P-Y! Maybe Disney could do a meet-and-greet with this Peter, or even better, his shadow! :eek:

I think they will take more care with the Frozen characters because they know they have a good thing. If they treat Anna and Elsa right, the show could have the rating go through the roof!!

I do think it would be great if they did something like Once Upon a Time days at Hollywood studios. Then they could do meet and greats with some of the actors from the show and do meet and greats with those versions of the characters. Again, I am very much in favor of a meet and great with that Captain Hook:bitelip:

I do think it would be great if they did something like Once Upon a Time days at Hollywood studios. Then they could do meet and greats with some of the actors from the show and do meet and greats with those versions of the characters. Again, I am very much in favor of a meet and great with that Captain Hook:bitelip:

That would be fun! Have you seen the ad for New Fantasyland with Regina/the Evil Queen? It was fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4HH9YC9jKE&feature=player_detailpage

:lmao:

I was never a big fan of Peter Pan so I LOVE what they did with Peter Pan! C-R-E-E-P-Y! Maybe Disney could do a meet-and-greet with this Peter, or even better, his shadow! :eek:

I think they will take more care with the Frozen characters because they know they have a good thing. If they treat Anna and Elsa right, the show could have the rating go through the roof!!

I loved the Peter Pan part as well, because of it following the original story that not many people know, where Peter Pan is an immortal child that steals children away so he can play with them, then kills them when they grow up...and the Pirates are the children that escaped. They didn't follow it perfectly, but close.

Ariel got similar treatment. The actual mermaid story doesn't have a happy ending, and it doesn't appear she's going to get one either unfortunately.

I expect the Frozen storyline to do the same thing and walk the line between Frozen and The Snow Queen.

Seeing the bonus features that come with Frozen, it seems to me Elsa was intended to be more similar to The Snow Queen version than she ended up being, as well. Those Frozen concepts have a couple pretty arrogant, playfully violent scenes of Elsa, rather than the reserved, terrified of her powers Elsa we see.

Like I said before, I love the concept of Elsa because I'm a Mortal Kombat nut, and she seems like Disney's Frost. I love all the stuff you can do with an ice character like Elsa. The abilities in relation to the personality, it's just writes itself, and you end up with such a fun character. She seems more like a comic character than a Disney princess when she builds the ice castle and fights the guys from Wesselton. Disney owns Marvel now....sooooo....MAKE IT HAPPEN. Elsa becomes an Avenger.

Okay, now I'm just getting carried away.

I loved the Peter Pan part as well, because of it following the original story that not many people know, where Peter Pan is an immortal child that steals children away so he can play with them, then kills them when they grow up...and the Pirates are the children that escaped. They didn't follow it perfectly, but close.

Ariel got similar treatment. The actual mermaid story doesn't have a happy ending, and it doesn't appear she's going to get one either unfortunately.

I expect the Frozen storyline to do the same thing and walk the line between Frozen and The Snow Queen.

Seeing the bonus features that come with Frozen, it seems to me Elsa was intended to be more similar to The Snow Queen version than she ended up being, as well. Those Frozen concepts have a couple pretty arrogant, playfully violent scenes of Elsa, rather than the reserved, terrified of her powers Elsa we see.

Like I said before, I love the concept of Elsa because I'm a Mortal Kombat nut, and she seems like Disney's Frost. I love all the stuff you can do with an ice character like Elsa. The abilities in relation to the personality, it's just writes itself, and you end up with such a fun character. She seems more like a comic character than a Disney princess when she builds the ice castle and fights the guys from Wesselton. Disney owns Marvel now....sooooo....MAKE IT HAPPEN. Elsa becomes an Avenger.

Okay, now I'm just getting carried away.

They have said they will stay true to the characters as made popular in Frozen, but there are ways to make this work. If they take Elsa out of her world right after she made the ice castle or after she fights and is captured, and place her in that bottle, they can have an empowered angry ice queen on their hands that hasn't yet learned about love, but isn't a true evil villain either. Could be very fun.

Elsa as an Avenger! It isn't going to happen, but one can dream!!:thumbsup2

Just echoing the previous posters here, but I didn't have issues watching OUAT and Disney. I am a fan of both, but for me they are like two separate things/versions. I found OUAT to be quite addicting (I got into a Netflix binge watching it, haha). I like fairy tales so I find it intriguing in its own right.

I find it silly when people say anything can 'ruin' something for them. If you love it, you love it. a Non-canon departure shouldn't bother you. For instance I love Peter Pan. Wasn't thrilled with how they portrayed him in OUaT, but that doesn't diminish my love for the source material or the original film at all. Nope, not one bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter