Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West (Update: Day 17 - There and back again)

As you were walking by that area it reminds me of how it feels like so much stuff is overlayed on top of each other between the monorail, the submarines, autopia, right be Matterhorn, etc.

Always love the submarine ride (be it Nemo or when it was 20k leagues) just because of how proud Walt was of his, "the eighth-largest submarine fleet in the world."

Bummer about HM being down but Pirates is a good consolation prize. ... and the Mickey beignet to soften the blow too!

I think a mandatory picture like this, of at least one member of your traveling party next to the Mr. Toad statue is one of those unwritten rules of visiting Disneyland

Loved the update. Looks like you hit a lot of the good ones. Bummer about HM. I have to add that I am so excited yet nervous because our 180 days is coming up this Sunday and we haven't been to DW in 6 years so before the magic bands and FP+. I am sure it won't be a big deal but I really don't know what to expect and am hoping that I get the restaurants we want and eventually FP's. Going to have to get up every day for a week to book each days restaurants since we are staying in our timeshare and also can't do FP till 30 days out so again hoping we get everything but we are early risers like you and I have a plan to go to the "big" attractions first thing to try and ride them before the lines get awful. It has been so fun seeing your report and remembering our trip as well. Look forward to your next update! :)

As you were walking by that area it reminds me of how it feels like so much stuff is overlayed on top of each other between the monorail, the submarines, autopia, right be Matterhorn, etc.

Always love the submarine ride (be it Nemo or when it was 20k leagues) just because of how proud Walt was of his, "the eighth-largest submarine fleet in the world."

Bummer about HM being down but Pirates is a good consolation prize. ... and the Mickey beignet to soften the blow too!

I think a mandatory picture like this, of at least one member of your traveling party next to the Mr. Toad statue is one of those unwritten rules of visiting Disneyland

I agree about the submarine ride. Like so many others, I got to ride the 20K leagues under the sea ride at WDW when I was a kid, and it had a lasting effect on me. So yeah, riding Nemo now gets extra points for complimenting great childhood memories. (Just like Mr. Toad and Swiss Family Treehouse do for me too.)

Yes! Mr. Toad is too cool, not to get a photo with. I would love to have a lifesize Toad statue at home!

Loved the update. Looks like you hit a lot of the good ones. Bummer about HM. I have to add that I am so excited yet nervous because our 180 days is coming up this Sunday and we haven't been to DW in 6 years so before the magic bands and FP+. I am sure it won't be a big deal but I really don't know what to expect and am hoping that I get the restaurants we want and eventually FP's. Going to have to get up every day for a week to book each days restaurants since we are staying in our timeshare and also can't do FP till 30 days out so again hoping we get everything but we are early risers like you and I have a plan to go to the "big" attractions first thing to try and ride them before the lines get awful. It has been so fun seeing your report and remembering our trip as well. Look forward to your next update! :)

Thanks Kelly. We did the Magic Bands and FP+ for the first time last summer. I like that you can be more dynamic/fluid with traditional paper Fast Passes, but the FP+ system had its perks too. It was actually pretty cool, and we didn't really find it to be a hassle at all.

Day 14 - Thursday, June 25 - Return to California Adventure

So yeah, we hopped on the monorail and got off at the Downtown Disney platform. We had been thinking that we wanted to have a break and be waited on in the air conditioning, and we weren't "feeling" any of the Disneyland options, so we decided to head over to DTD for lunch. Buddy ate at "Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria" when he visited DL with my parents a couple years ago, and he's went on and on about it ever since. On our last visit, we tried the counter service version next door at Napolini. The pizza was pretty good, but not amazing. I chalked it up to the counter service version probably not being as good (and that we walked it back to our room at the DL Hotel before we ate it.) So I was willing to give Naples a try. Surely it would be better. And we really wanted to sit down and relax in the AC.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of Neapolitan pizza and have done a lot of research about it through the years. You know, using 00 Caputo flour, authentic San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, cold fermented dough, etc. This place has a great reputation, so I was more than happy to accommodate Buddy's request...

We arrived at about 1:15pm, which I would have thought would have been after the big lunch rush. They gave us the option to wait 45 minutes for an inside table, or we could be seated outside on the patio instantly. Nobody really wanted to wait, so we agreed to be seated outside.

In the meantime, I spent a couple minutes watching them stretch the dough and finagle the pies in the oven...

pizza.gif

That's where the fun ended... They put us in a sunny spot outside. At a table that was more like a picnic table. Bench seats with no back rests. After a few minutes, it started to get really hot and uncomfortable. Little shade and not much of a breeze. We so should have waited for an inside table, or went somewhere else for that AC.

That was strike one.

Strike two, is that our waiter was overly friendly and excited. You would think that it would be good to have an enthusiastic waiter, but when you are hot, hungry, and uncomfortable, we just weren't feeling it. And he wasn't picking up on our body language at all. If you can imagine being served by Tina, the Alamo tour guide from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, after drinking four bottles of 5 Hour Energy and a couple Jolt Cola's. You might get the idea.

Strike three, is that the pizza was slow to arrive, and it was just OK. Probably not as good as the one we had last time from Napolini. I think I'm pretty much not going to give this place a try again, not with so many other good restaurants within easy walking distance. Oh well, who would have guessed? (Noting that I left them a pretty dismal review on Yelp and they replied with an apology, but I didn't feel like it was very sincere.)

OK. A couple photos of the food, and then back to a positive spirit again!

Well, the fresh baked bread was actually pretty darn good...

Who doesn't like olive oil and fresh cracked pepper for their bread?

And here's the pizza. It's certainly not bad. Not in the least. But is it worth $30 or $40, plus tax and tip? Heck no!!!! Stick to the counter service option...

OK, on our way.... Hey look, it's Marceline's Confectionery again. Hard to believe we were in Marceline, MO two weeks ago. Wow, this trip is flying by!!!

Pickle was ready for some more cotton candy. I have no idea how many times she had it on this trip, but it was a lot!

It was getting to be mid-afternoon and we still wanted to head back to the hotel for a swim. We figured that we'd spend the second half of the day visiting California Adventure, and that we probably wouldn't be back in Disneyland park again on this trip. So, I made everyone come with me for a couple final photos. I wanted a photo of us on Main Street Disneyland to compare to our photo on Main Street Marceline and this was my last chance!

But first, I wanted a photo with Tilly from Marceline while I was wearing my Marceline t-shirt... to post on the Walt Disney Hometown Museum's Facebook page :-)

I love that even Tilly has a commemorative Diamond Celebration name badge. Cool!

So yeah, the Main Street photos...

First the one from Marceline:

And second, the one from Disneyland

We did it. Cool! I know that the Marceline Main Street wasn't the true model for the DL version, but it's clear that Walt wanted to recreate the "vibe" from his hometown, and it's pretty cool to compar the two photos. (I'm fully aware that this is a nerd/geek thing, and I'm cool with that!)

So after a couple quick photos, we started making our way back to the hotel again.

"Thank You for Visiting?" You're welcome! But don't worry, we'll be back in a couple hours :-)

Another ten minutes or so, and we had made it back... And Pickle was just about finished with her cotton candy.

And yet a few more minutes later, we were enjoying the pool for lone last time.

We probably spent a good three hours relaxing at the pool, and back in the room. And a little bit of time getting organized for the trip back home tomorrow morning.

Around 5:00 PM or so, we were heading back to California Adventure!!!!

We started off with a bit of souvenir shopping on Buena Vista Street, as this was going to be our last chance. We ended up with a few goodies.... Some trading pins, a paper weight (for me - as my fathers day gift), and a "big pin" for my parents.

After shopping and browsing for a while, we decided to head over to the Red Car Trolley. We rode it all the way over to the Tower of Terror and the got off. We wanted to ride ToT, but it was closed. Darn! Oh well, we've all ridden it before and countless times at WDW... no worries.

Over at the Bugs Life Movie Theater (I don't recall what it's really called - tough to be a bug or something), they had a 4D preview of the Ant-Man movie. Princess had expressed interest in this the other day and we didn't have time for it then, so we made it a priority this time around.

To be honest, I'm so out of the loop, that I hadn't even heard of this movie yet. The preview was actually pretty good and the special effects like rumbling seats, puffs of air, and water squirts, were all well played. I guess the movie came out a few weeks later. Princess and Buddy both saw it in the theaters and really liked it, but Stephanie and I decided to wait until it comes out on DVD. I really look forward to seeing it!

After the preview, we headed over to California Screamin' again. Stand by was about 40 minutes, so we decided to just take a pass on it.

It was a little after 7pm and we were all ready for food, so we kept moving.

Buddy and I went for Corn Dog Castle again, and the girls went for Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta.

Yum!!!!

Pickle had the kids pizza. I think she liked it well enough, but she wasn't overly excited or anything.

Princess had meatballs and plain noodles. Again, she didn't go on and on about it, but she ate it all!

Stephanie had the Chicken Sun-dried Tomato Pesto pasta. I think she liked it well enough too, but also sort of a forgettable dish.

So yeah, just a so-so meal. Certainly enjoyable, but not memorable like the Paradise Garden Grill.

It was now almost 8:00 PM and the sun was starting to set. Such a nice time to be around the boardwalk area! The Golden Zephry didn't have a line, so we hopped on that next!

Such a cool ride!

z.gif

We had grabbed FP's to ride Soarin' again, so we started heading that way next.

There wasn't much of a line at all for the Little Mermaid ride as we passed by it, so took the opportunity to ride it again too.

It was about 8:45 or so after we got off Soarin'. We checked ToT and it was still down. We knew the "Mat T Party" was about to start, so we headed that way next... But we took the opportunity to grab a few more photo pass shots on the way over.

I have no idea why the photographer asked us to hold this newspaper and point at it, but we just went along with it. LOL.

I wasn't all that excited about the Mad T Party myself, but the kids wanted to ride Monsters Inc. before we left, so yeah, whatever....

Except for it was actually really awesome!!

The "White Rabbit DJ" was playing some pretty good tunes and the energy in the place was high and contagious.

dance.gif

And impromptu "dance off" started right next to us, with a group of 10 to 15 kids in their teens in twenties taking turns "shuffling" (or whatever they call it) and dancing off. Each trying to outdo the other. Some of them were REALLY talented and it was a blast to watch. Princess was captivated and having a lot of fun, so I stayed with her while Stephanie, Pickle, and Buddy went to ride Monsters.

I've been on that ride a couple times before, and while it's fine, it's not really one of my favorites, so I didn't mind missing out. They all had fun and then rejoined us for the remainder of the dance party. Another 10 or 15 minutes later, the DJ left and they switched up the party with a live band playing 80's cover songs. None of us were really feeling it, and we were all pretty tired after a long day, so we decided to call it a night and head back to the hotel. (We were getting up pretty early the next morning for our drive to the Grand Canyon, and we still needed to pack a few things tonight. CA Adventure was closing in another 25 minutes anyway.)

So yeah, we joined the mass exedous and headed back to the Candy Cane Inn.

Good bye Disneyland, we sure had fun visiting. Of course, we'll be back again!!!!!

bummer - seems like the food that day wasn't all the greatest ... well, except for Pickle's cotton candy that is ;)

So glad you were able to recreate the Marceline/Disneyland shot. Obviously time has passed since Walt was there but can definitely get the sense that Disneyland is the idealized version of small town, not a pure recreation of it

dance party sounds fun! Always cool when those unexpected things turn out to be some of the best/most memorable.

Overall, seems like a pretty great time at Disneyland!

Thanks for the encouragement about DW. I am hoping you are right. The combination of something new and summer crowds is making me nervous but just really hoping that it works out. We are also going to Universal and staying onsite for the first time. The other 3 times we only ever went for 1 day so I am really excited about that! That is funny about Naples. I had never really wanted to try it because I had heard bad reviews but then I heard some good so we tried it on our first night but we too were seated outside and the food was just meh. Doubt I will go again. Our favorite is Catal. My birthday was during the trip and we had planned to go but it was closed for a special event. I think we ended up going at the end of the trip but it is REALLY good if you go again! Looks like other than the food you had a good last day. I agree about the T Party. I was at the first summer bash and then Tron and now this and none of this thrill me. The kids think it is fun but I was bummed I missed the Olaf thing. I know that is so over done but I would have liked to have seen it. We did get to take pics with him at least. Excited for your next part with Grand Canyon. I have never been and hoping to take my girls in the next few years!

That's funny that you were the first people at the gate that morning. If that doesn't get you picked for family of the day, I don't know what will!

I wish WDW had an Indiana Jones ride instead of the show. It appears that there are more rides at DL and CA than at all of WDW combined.

I can't get over the fact that your food is served on real dishes at counter service restaurants. That's such a nice touch.

I'm interested to read about your visit to the Grand Canyon. It's another place on my bucket list.

Catching up!

What a great comparison between the two Main Streets. Love it!

Another great day at DL. I love that you got through all the iconic Walt Disney attractions. That's what I love most about Disneyland.
Shame about the food....but it did look good from here.

Day 15 - Friday, June 26 - Drive to Grand Canyon

I'm sorry to leave everyone hanging for so long... It's been very busy December and January -- both at work and at home. But I'm back to finish up with the last couple days of the trip. :flower3:

So yeah, we left off with our final night at Disneyland. It was a pretty jam packed three days in the parks. Lots of fun, and we were sad to see it all coming to an end. The good thing about long vacations is that towards the end, you start to feel a little homesick/tired and the "last day blues" really aren't as bad. Plus, we had never driven through the Southwest before, so we still had a lot of cool stuff to look forward to.

Anyway, the plan for today was to make it over to the Grand Canyon before the sunset. Spend a quick couple hours at the rim, and then call it a day. So we packed up our stuff and left the Candy Cane Inn around 7:30am. I don't really have much to share about the first leg of the trip. Heading east from LA was relatively boring when compared to so much of the scenery that we'd seen.

But... Buddy was happy to start seeing some trains again!

So yeah, a pretty relaxing drive through the desert. Not a bad thing considering how much walking we had done over the last couple weeks. Nice just to sit and stare out the window for a while.

We decided to stop for lunch around Noon. We fired up Yelp and there were a few choices in Needles, CA (which sits just a couple miles west of the Arizona state line.) Needles is another old Route 66 town.

There was a Mexican restaurant called Munchy's that had fantastic reviews, so we decided to give it a try.

It was located directly across the street from a BNSF train station, so Buddy was stoked about that too.

So we get inside and uh, there were just a few tables in the whole joint... our family pretty much doubled the amount of people in the place. Truly a hole in the wall, but based on the reviews, we decided to give it a go anyway.

... And I'm glad we did, because I had the best carne asada ever. I'm still dreaming about it.

Stephanie had some enchiladas. She said they were fantastic too.

The older kids had tacos and were happy. I think they devoured them before I got a chance for a photo.

And then Pickle had quesadillas.

The chips, salsa, and guacamole were all very tasty too!!

Everyone was very happy with their food, and it possibly the cheapest meal on the entire trip. Something like $27 bucks for a family of 5... with some seriously good food!!!!! Great service too. If we had a place like that at home, I might eat lunch there every day. (Apparently a lot of the BNSF train workers from across the street do just that!)

Anyway, since we wanted to get as much time at the Grand Canyon as possible, we pretty much ate and hopped back in the cars. Let's go!

Cruising through Arizona was fun. Lot's of beautiful terrain to look at. You can really see where the Cars movie got a lot of its inspiration.

Oh and HOT, 107 degrees as we flew down the highway. (Stephanie was driving when I took the photo.)

Day 15 - Friday, June 26 - Drive to Grand Canyon - Part 2

A couple stops for gas and whatnot... and before we knew it, we had arrived at Grand Canyon National Park around 5pm.

We stopped for a few photos by the entrance, headed over to get our room keys at the Yavapai Lodge, and then straight to the rim.

When we arrived at the main visitors center area, it had just closed, so we started walking towards the rim.

Strange to see an elk licking the rock, on the hike over. I guess he was licking for salt or something?

A few minutes later and we were here!!

So, I've flown over the Grand Canyon numerous times, but I had never seen it from the ground. Pictures just can't do it it justice. It's just huge!!!

I love this one of the little critter enjoying his dinner as he enjoys the view.

A cool lookout area...

Such amazing views!!! But after about 45 minutes, Stephanie was pretty much done. A slight fear of heights, a bit of hunger, maybe a little dehydration, and just being "spent" from 2 weeks of non-stop traveling had all taken their toll.... and she was ready to call it a day.

I'd probably have rather stayed at the rim to explore a bitmore and watch the sunset. But I have to admit, the idea of getting dinner, having a couple beers, and chilling in the air conditioning while watching a movie sounded fantastic! And the kids were excited to head back to the room to watch the premier of Teen Beach Movie 2 on the Disney Channel. (We don't have the Disney Channel at home.)

So we gave our farewells to the rest of the family and parted ways for the night... and the rest of the trip. They all ended up staying out late, and we had plans to get on the road fairly early the next morning. This was it for us, but would be heading to visit Carlsbad Caverns for a couple days before heading back to Missouri.

We decided to head over to the main shopping area which was like a grocery store and giant gift shop all in one. We picked up a few trinkets, soda, and beers. Mmm... beers.

And then we ordered sandwiches from their deli area. Dinner wasn't memorable. Just average sandwiches. I didn't take any photos or anything. I guess I was finally checking out too...

Anyway, we brought back our soda's, snacks, and beers back to the room and relaxed for a couple hours before calling it a night.

Teen Beach Movie 2 was pretty lame, by the way. I actually like dumb movies if they are entertaining. The original movie was very dumb, but lots of fun. This one didn't really have any redeeming qualities for me. Not so sure the kids liked it either. Oh well, it was nice to escape the heat and relax in the air conditioning anyway.

After the movie was over, everyone was ready to turn out the lights and call it a day. Another one in the books!

Wonderful update!! Your Grand Canyon pictures look beautiful, although I have heard that you really can't experience it with pictures. It is something to see to be believed. I may have missed it but what kind of camera do you have? Mine just died and I'm in the market for one before our CA trip.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the railroad workers coming over to have lunch at the Mexican place you stopped at. My husband's rule of thumb is that if the local workers eat there, it must be good (and reasonable). It hasn't steered us wrong yet!

Your husband is a smart man!

My camera is an Olympus EP-3. It's about 4.5 years old now. I think the current comparable model is the EP-6.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen.html?icn=topnav&ici=camerasnav_olympus-pen

In summary, it's a Micro 4/3 camera. If you have no idea what that is, then it's sort of a cross between a point and shoot and a DSLR. It's mirrorless, so it's able to be smaller than a DSLR, but it still allows you to have interchangeable lenses (I have 4 different lenses.) Sort of the best of both worlds. They've come a long way in the last 5 years, and I'm sure a new cheaper Micro 4/3 is way better than my older model. Honestly, I'm considering upgrading to the E-PL7 soon (or maybe stepping up to an OM-D E-M1 in another year or two.)

Your husband is a smart man!

My camera is an Olympus EP-3. It's about 4.5 years old now. I think the current comparable model is the EP-6.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen.html?icn=topnav&ici=camerasnav_olympus-pen

In summary, it's a Micro 4/3 camera. If you have no idea what that is, then it's sort of a cross between a point and shoot and a DSLR. It's mirrorless, so it's able to be smaller than a DSLR, but it still allows you to have interchangeable lenses (I have 4 different lenses.) Sort of the best of both worlds. They've come a long way in the last 5 years, and I'm sure a new cheaper Micro 4/3 is way better than my older model. Honestly, I'm considering upgrading to the E-PL7 soon (or maybe stepping up to an OM-D E-M1 in another year or two.)

Thank you, I'll check that out. I bought my last camera based on the great pictures I had seen in someone's WDW trip report. Of course a lot depends on the photographer but I like seeing actual pictures a camera has taken.

Nice update. The Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. I hope to do a couple bus trips in the next few years with the kids. There is one that goes to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore that I want to do and also one that goes to the dessert spots. It is 7 days and goes to Monument Valley, Zion, Grand Canyon etc. I would say the desert is prob my least fave destination but it is on my list. Have loved your report. Is this it or are you going to do the Cavern?

Thank you, I'll check that out. I bought my last camera based on the great pictures I had seen in someone's WDW trip report. Of course a lot depends on the photographer but I like seeing actual pictures a camera has taken.

Cool. I'd be interested to find out which camera you end up choosing :-)

Nice update. The Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. I hope to do a couple bus trips in the next few years with the kids. There is one that goes to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore that I want to do and also one that goes to the dessert spots. It is 7 days and goes to Monument Valley, Zion, Grand Canyon etc. I would say the desert is prob my least fave destination but it is on my list. Have loved your report. Is this it or are you going to do the Cavern?

We didn't go along with them to the caverns, so the Grand Canyon was the last major event of the trip, but we stopped a a few more interesting sites on the last two days of driving, so I still have a couple more posts before the TR is finished :-)

Your planned bus trips sound fun. Yellowstone is on our bucket list too :-)

Great Update!

I remember driving out to the Grand Canyon as a kid - though it was from the other direction as we started visiting family in New Mexico. It is an interesting drive with lots of the same vistas - and ability to see way off into the distance.

Seems like a great stop in Needles and that food looks awesome!

I enjoyed seeing the Grand Canyon - it is impressive ... though I think I was like Stephanie (at least when i was a kid) in that, ok, it's cool, but 45 mins or so is probably enough

Great pictures:

I do love this one as well - great perspective!

Just contemplating Life, the Universe, and Everything!

This is a great picture too!

Side note: we are planning our summer vacation (down to Walt Disney World) and at least partly inspired by this Trip Report we are going to Road Trip it! So taking several days down and several days back. We were working on the plan yesterday and I think I have it worked out that we will stop at a minimum of 5 breweries during the trip ;)

Glad to hear there are a few more. I always love following along on people's reports and yours has been so entertaining with all the different spots! As I mentioned before we LOVE road trips because of all the cool out of the way things you can see and experience along the way. We are headed to DW this summer but hopefully if all works out next summer is Europe which of course we will be driving and then the following summer is hopefully the East Coast also a road trip so I am looking forward to all the fun places we may encounter. I have thoroughly enjoyed your report and hope you do another in the future. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter