Packing for Alaska

mickeysgirl80

Earning My Ears
Hi all!! My Alaska cruise is getting closer and closer and I am getting more and more excited!!!! However, I'm a little unsure about packing for Alaska. I will be going on August 29-September 2 and the weather, according to accuweather.com, the weather will be in the 50s, cloudy, and rainy. Would I really need 2 pairs of gloves, 2 hats, and 2 scarfs? I don't want to over pack. What do you guys think? Thanks! God bless and happy Mickey!

Hi,
We are on the cruise too!!! We are packing today!! I am worried about overpacking too!! We are a family of 5. I am packing just one hat and glove per person (throwing in an extra on case my twins lose one).

I am going to do 3 or 4 pairs of pants each (and use the laundry), 2 dressy outfits each (2 more casual). My kids and I like those Abecrombe sweatpants.

I packed 2 roll on carry ons with one bathing suit and one cover up each. I bought those disposable rain ponchos (I think I got 10 or 15), 3 TINY umbrellas. Our rain jackets (my kids have the LL bean ones), one heavy fleece jacket each to layer under the LL bean rain jackets for my children, nike flip flops, some snacks and toiletries. 3 binoculars (one really good pair - 2 $50 pairs that my kids can break if they want (LOL)). i am not packing winter coats. I am capitulating on bringing Uggs for them (I am packing their Uggs slippers).

I am going to weigh my suitcases, and add and subtract accordingly... ugh... we are getting close! The weather has me bummed, but it is a rainforest so we expected it.

Donna: Good call with the disposable ponchos. Maybe I will go to the dollar store and get some ponchos. I think since it's only me, I will pack just one pair or gloves, hats, and scarf. I want to under pack because there's souvenirs to think about (especially since my Disney cousin has made some requests, lol). Thanks got your help, Donna! God bless and happy Mickey! PS: When are you going on the cruise? Is there a meet up for our cruise, 8/26-9/2?

Hi all!! My Alaska cruise is getting closer and closer and I am getting more and more excited!!!! However, I'm a little unsure about packing for Alaska. I will be going on August 29-September 2 and the weather, according to accuweather.com, the weather will be in the 50s, cloudy, and rainy. Would I really need 2 pairs of gloves, 2 hats, and 2 scarfs? I don't want to over pack. What do you guys think? Thanks! God bless and happy Mickey!

We cruised at this same time two years ago, and I've visited interior Alaska twice before during late August, early September.

Based on our experience, you need to be prepared for rain and cool weather, but you will probably have a few warm days as well.

I found a gore-tex rain jacket, with a medium weight polar fleece jacket that I could wear separately or as a liner, to be more than adequate. About half the time, I just carried my jacket, finding it too warm to wear.

I only took 1 hat, 1 pair of gloves, and 1 scarf, which I only wore part of the time. An umbrella comes in handy when it rains, if not too windy. I have a pair of gore-tex hiking boots that I took along and they got a good workout.

I found long pants and a mix of long and short sleeved shirts to be perfect. The short sleeved shirts were nice for the ship and some days ashore were on the warm side. I didn't take any shorts and didn't really miss them.

I also recommend a pair of binoculars and a camera with a zoom lens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter