Parents of teens...is vaping common in your community? (Inspired by pot thread)

From the American Lung Association - what’s in an e cigarette?

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette

• Nicotine – a highly addictive substance that negatively affects adolescent brain development
  • Propylene glycol – a common additive in food; also used to make things like antifreeze, paint solvent, and artificial smoke in fog machines
  • Carcinogens- chemicals known to cause cancer, including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde
  • Acrolein – a herbicide primarily used to kill weeds, can cause irreversible lung damage
  • Diacetyl – a chemical linked to a lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans aka "popcorn lung"
  • Diethylene glycol – a toxic chemical used in antifreeze that is linked to lung disease
  • Heavy metals such as nickel, tin, lead
  • Cadmium – a toxic metal found in traditional cigarettes that causes breathing problems and disease
  • Benzene – a volatile organic compound (VOC) found in car exhaust
  • Ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
What parents should know
https://www.lung.org/getmedia/a6d09...c9ecf6e/e-cigarettes-parents.pdf.pdf?ext=.pdf
That first one certainly explains congress. Just about every old codger in there used to smoke back when it was a normal thing to do.

But seriously, just about everyone of those things can be found in the air we breath on a daily basis. It is very easy to create a panic about anything that one wants to and knows the best way to say it.

That first one certainly explains congress. Just about every old codger in there used to smoke back when it was a normal thing to do.

But seriously, just about everyone of those things can be found in the air we breath on a daily basis. It is very easy to create a panic about anything that one wants to and knows the best way to say it.
I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, this subject was part of my daughter’s graduate Capstone project. It was information essentially new to me and I was quite alarmed for young people at what I saw. Sensitive lung tissue just isn’t meant to be subjected to this, at this concentration. Unfortunately, some are going to realize it too late. I posted earlier here about a young man who required a lung transplant due to vaping. 🥲 Fortunately that seems to be a rarity, but it doesn’t mean that many won’t also have some degree of lung damage, as well.
I am waiting for the diagnosis of COPD in some of these vapers when they hit their 30s and 40s.
For some it will be much sooner. This stuff is BAD.

It's not nearly so pronounced in my neck of the woods, but if you go further into the capitol, vaping shops become VERY common. My brother vapes and I wish he didn't. It might be better than smoking (he's an ex smoker) but he INHALES whilst you should only taste the vape in your mouth. I fear for his health as you hear horror stories including cancer or Popcorn Lung. Maybe I'm paranoid? He gets up every 10 minutes just to go outside and vape. One thing is evident, these vapes almost always contain concentrated amounts of nicotine, so vaping can make you super addicted super fast - and as the majority of papers over here are teens just trying it out for the first time, we're breeding a generation of addicted vapers.

I know someone who vapes and is constantly coughing. He's in his 20s. COPD is the first thing I thought of. I'm thinking he's on his way...
I suspect that a lot of people cough partially because of what specific thing (flavor) they are vaping and, agreed, there is a lot more vaping in public than there once was. However, It is possible that the coughing may be coming, with a little help, from the things they are smoking in private.

There are two general types of vaping equipment. One is more of a cigarette design that simulates cigarette smoking both in looks and in vapor quantity. Then you have the "tank" vape equipment that emits massive amount of vapor and clouds when used. Sorry, I don't remember the actual names. I can remember early on following cars that let you immediately know that the driver was vaping because if the window was open, which it would have to be, all of a sudden there would be this massive white cloud coming out of the window, similar to if the interior of the car was on fire. Now those are the people, using the "tank" type, that are heading for serious, serious problems down the road.

I've never wished bad things for people in order to prove my beliefs but I do wish they'd not smoke or vape for obvious reasons.

In my neighbourhood, vaping among teens was pretty standard, but lately, it's been more challenging for them to get their hands on vapes because stores have gotten stricter. The place where I buy my vaping supplies, from this Head Shop, is perfect for checking IDs. I'm glad they're strict because it means they're not selling to kids.

Seeing them ask for ID every time shows they're serious about the rules. It's made a real difference in our community, making buying vapes more challenging for teens.

Last edited:
As a child of a smoker who was more than happy to pollute my lungs with their second hand smoke, I would not want to take away vaping as an option for those adults who wanted to switch. I never understood why my mom thought it was ok to smoke around me knowing the lifelong health effects.

I have no problem with people wanting to smoke, vape, drink, base jump, or any other risky activity.

I do have a problem with smoking around children. If there is a safer option for the third party it should remain an option.

I do think that smoking and vaping material should be reserved for those who are 18 and up. There should be harsh penalties for retailers caught selling to minors including loss of business license, gigantic mandatory monetary penalties, and prison time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter