Park Swaps - Take 2???

I'm going to pass on this one, but wanted to wish you the best of luck. I just have way too much on my plate for the next few weeks. Sure going to miss it but it something I will have to do.

I'm moving the updates to the first post on the first page so it's easier to see the tallys.

if y'all want to start early that's fine, but I am not going to host anything else until sept (at the earliest). If someone else wants to host mk that's fine. Also, I'm not really sure I want to wait 2 weeks for "flakers". It's not like they don't know when it's due. maggie

I will do the Studios.

I think you could stagger by 1/2 or 1 month increments with a 1-1/2 to 2 month return window. Then those of us who want to do more than one swap can have a little breathing room. Are you still planning to do an ABC swap too Shauna?

If I'm thinking about this correctly, then it would go something like this:

MK - signup Aug 1 - due Sept 15
AK - signup Aug 15 - due Oct 1
Epcot - signup Sep 1 - due Oct 15
Other - signup Sep 15 - due Nov 1
Studios - signup Oct 1 - due Nov 15

If you were to join every team, you would have 2 sets of 6-8 page elements due every 2 weeks for 2 months! That's the "worst" case scenario. I think most of us probably don't have time for that, but I definitely would be interested in a few of those swaps.

As far as elements, should we stick with what's been done in the past? There are 11 elements here -- we could go with whatever the 6-8 people choose.

1 Topper 8.5 inches (no handwriting please) :
2 Borders ( 2 Vertical 11 inches in length ) :
1 Shaker box:
2 Journal Boxes – ( double matted ) 2 per person, at least a 2x2 writing (or other type of journalling element)
4 Embellished squares ( double matted ) 4 per person :
1 Matted Poem or song Lyric ( double matted/embellished ) at least 4x4 space ( no handwriting please ) :
1 Paper piecing :
2 Frames ( embellished ) :
2 Photo Mats ( double matted/embellished ) 2 per person :
2 Tags ( double matted ) 2 per person must include either fibers or eyelets in Shaped Eyelets ( 6 per person ) & 1 yard Fiber :

All of this is just me brainstorming so please take it with a grain of salt :)

I'm not going to be able to host the mk swap in aug. I also don't think I want to play by the same rules that are being laid out here. I think perhaps y'all should find someone else to host the MK swap. (yes, I'm bowing out of hostessing this swap). maggie

I have a concern about starting another large swap so soon. Em has already related to us about how the ride swap is running a month or more behind schedule due to those who have not sent in their items. There is already a card swap, recipe swap, scavenger swap, and color swap in progress at this time. It could be that people are getting in over their heads with all the swaps that are going on. I know I'm really busy right now, and my things aren't due until the 1st of Sept.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but it might be a good idea to step back and look at all that's going on here on the boards with swaps. I would love to take part in a parks swap, but there's just no way I could get involved right now. I'm sure there's other folks who would love to join in too, but in order for the swap to go as scheduled, you have to have a group that is 100% committed to getting their items in on time. That hasn't happened with the Ride Swap. I would definitely get some advice from Emily before starting something else this large again.

Sorry, I don't want to sound so harsh, but as much as I'd like to participate, I know I just can't do that right now. Maybe we need to let everyone take a breather on swaps right now. I know I just signed up for the Christmas swap today, and thankfully that's not due until November.

I wouldn't mind being a hostess for a swap. However, I do agree that there are way too many swaps going right now. I think we should wait. I didn't sign up for the Christmas swap because I'm in the scavenger swap. I'd love to do a Christmas or the color one, but there is just so many going on right now.

I agree with those that said there are too many going on right now. Don't forget that the ABC swap was supposed to start sometime soon as well.

Although I was so looking forward to doing the park swaps I won't be participating if they are run with only a 2 week "stagger" period. I was hoping it would be similar to what was done in the past...MK ends and is received by participants before sign-ups even begin on the AK swap, etc. Or at least don't have sign-ups start until a couple days after the due date for the previous swap.

I like the idea of smaller swaps - like maybe 8 per group. But I feel no need to start the park swaps so soon. It made sense to do the Christmas one now - we all experience the holiday at the same time. But the parks are something that people are doing all year long. If we don't get to them for a couple months, it's no big deal - at least to me. :confused3

I think every 2 weeks to 1 month to start a new swap would be too much, too close together. I've been anxious to join a Park Swap because I found DIS after the others had already been started. My trip is in December and I would hate to wait until I've already gotten back to begin working on swap items for the album that I would be putting together at that point.

One of the reasons I would like to see the Park Swap sooner than later is because I am not doing all of the other swaps and I'm sure there are others like me. I am mainly interested in doing stuff for the Parks which is what the Ride Swap helped with.

If there is obviously no market for a Park Swap to start this year, then that is fine. I can understand the hesitation in wanting to wait and not be overwhelmed. Likewise, if enough people are interested, we can wait until September 1 to do sign-ups for the first park. There is no rule of thumb that MK has to be first so I would be happy to start an EPCOT swap on September 1 to give someone else more time. I just think there are enough people not involved in other swaps (like me) who would be interested in a Park Swap. (At least I hope there are! ;) )

And yes, Bubbasmom, I am planning to start sign-ups for the ABCs of Disney Swap on August 15 with an "official" start on September 1 and a due date of November 1. I have updated the list with your preference Bubbasmom and Nicurn. And yes, those elements look fine for me and I wasn't really thinking of changing them unless someone really objected other than to combine shaker box/paper piecing/matted poem or song lyric.

The MK Swap is open for a host.

I wish you all luck on the upcoming swaps. But I know I will be backing off for a while ( between the ride swaps and the cruise swaps and all that it has involved I am just burnt out. Not to mention the fact that my health situation changed this year and I have a few friends here who have told me to take it easy ). And remember some are also working on the second cruise swap which is due in September. I know for me personally I like the larger groups because I like getting back lots of items to complete my book and the brought elements don't appeal to me as much as the handmade. Which is why I probably wouldn't sign up for a small group ( insane I know ). Havin said all that though I agree with everyone else who says waiting may be a good idea. I don't think I have ever seen this many swaps here at one time as I have seen this summer , and I would hate for us to end up not being able to do any becuase of complaints ( I have seen this happen on other boards ) or flakers. We use to only have four or five a year , but as more people found out it has just grown. And I have stated before that I don't think you will find a better group of ladies , or a better quality of scrapbook elements anywhere else. Lets just try to keep it as friendly and as uncomplicated as possible so we can all enjoy them.

Cyndi

I agree Cyndi. I'm sorry I left out the Cruise Swap when I posted earlier. I thought I was missing something, but I couldn't remember what it was! Oops!

Anyway, you know it might be fine for those people who haven't been doing any of the other swaps to start a Parks swap. I can understand the excitement of joining up for something new, and this is a great group of people here. I just know that for me personally, I can't do it right now. Maybe I can catch it when it comes back around again.

I will host the magic kingdom swap and will do the water parks/dtd, etc too if no one wants to.

I would like to see us wait until after Sept 1 to start.

When we say after September 1, is Sept. 1 OK as a sign up for the first swap? And Piratesmate has a good point about finishing one before we start another. A Sept. 1 start would have a Nov. 1 end so all the rest would be in 2006.

Ksjayhawks - Thanks for agreeing to host the MK Swap. Do you want to do the first starting on Sept. 1 or would you like me to start with Epcot? I don't mind since I will only be taking 1 class this Fall.

I must say I find this thread very interesting.
Anyone can start a swap at any time. That isn't the problem. We can have many going at once. But the difference is with this board vs 2peas's. We are a small more collective group. I think when swaps get over loaded on here people feel they must join them all because they have in the past. Plus we dn't have the large group to pool from.
I know for me too many swaps were being started at the same time. I then felt rushed and not as happy working on my stuff so I didn't sign up for the past several swaps.
Now that fall is coming I was planning to join in. But now I don't care for this point system, I don't care that even on this thread people were just rail roaded over and pulled out of hosting or swapping. Maybe I am reading it wrong. But it appeared to me Nicurn was willing to host (and let me tell you she is a great host! Swapped many times with her) but some on here weren't happy with her time line. Which to me doesn't sit well. No one even said sorry you can't do it or maybe next time, Or I understand......
Also the push to get things done so quickly to suit one person's album schedule doesn't seem right. Yes I would love all my Disney stuff to come before my trip or right after but to expect people to create 20-24 items every 2 weeks is hard. Most swaps I have been in give you 4 to 6 weeks to allow for shopping, creating and then the wonderful post office trip(you need to at least allow 5 days shipping). From reading other swaps lately and the problem has been a few flakers, and a few people who really did have medical problems or other emergencys that help the swaps up.
Maybe I am too sensitive and really look at so many on here as friends....
Good luck with the swap and or swaps. I hope that everyone who wants to swap finds the right one for them.

I have to admit that I thought much the same things as Spinning. I don't think that anyone meant to diminish Nicurn's offer...I just felt that people were getting caught up in the excitement of doing the swap! As one of those who hasn't done too many of them, I still get that "kid at Christmas" feeling when there's a sign-up for a new swap! :blush: I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that maybe that's where the short time lines came from (2 wks between sign-ups) :confused3

While there's no need to participate in every swap that comes along, I was feeling extremely disappointed that I'd have to skip these if they came that fast & furious. I have no future trips planned & probably wouldn't need park elements by the time another round of park swaps started next year. (I'm hoping to have my album done by then...maybe. :rotfl: )

But if I skip these, there's no reason I can't ask for a few people to swap a few items at any time. I love getting the huge package of elements just as Nicki Dahling mentioned, but I could cope with smaller portions as well - especially since I wouldn't have to make 24 paper piecings again! :rotfl: (Oh it's really a shame that none of you were here to see that! I'm sure it was quite comical to watch! :rotfl2: )

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I wanted to say: I love this board. I love you ladies. I enjoy all the friends I've made here. ::yes::

I would be interested in joining this one (and I will be signing up for the ABC one as well ) I do like the idea of smaller groups - I found it a little overwhelming making borders and journaling boxes 48 of each for Team Imagine. I don't think I like the point system though - I would rather just choose from the catagories listed. And I really like the idea of each park seperate. I also think that they can start when ever and you just choose which ones to participate in as to what your schedule is .. if Epcot is during your busy time then don't signup for that one. we know that it will come around again at somepoint as there are always trips being planned .

nicurn said:
if y'all want to start early that's fine, but I am not going to host anything else until sept (at the earliest). If someone else wants to host mk that's fine. Also, I'm not really sure I want to wait 2 weeks for "flakers". It's not like they don't know when it's due. maggie

I wasn't saying we have to start aug. 1st. I'm just like Shawna nad not particpating in any swaps right now, other than the scavenger hunt, and my stuff's been turned in. If you still want to host MK, we can jsut make it the last on the list.

I think that there's no reason we can't go ahead and get this thing going. There are going to be small groups, so everyone on the board doesn't have to participate. If people are busy and don't want to, fine, it's not a problem. I think there has been enough interest to go ahead with the swaps. Sept. 1 starting for the first swap seems fine for everyone interested. And those not yet ready to host, can be later on the list.

I think, like stated above, that most people here feel a sense of friendship and family. So when the swap comes around, we feel that we should participate. I know that my first swap was the ride swap. Now I feel when one comes around, because you ladies are the best, that I want to participate in all of them. However, I've not signed up for a few, because of the reasons stated. I don't think everyone should feel like they have to participate. Maybe with smaller groups, it will be easier on us all anyway. I loved the scavenger swap.

Anyway, now I'm rambling....

I hear what you're saying, but you know there is also a large group of people who want to participate in all/most of the swaps....not that they feel that 'should' or 'have to' because of the sense of family - just that we're too excited to miss one! ::yes:: :hyper: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter